1911Forum banner

241 - 260 of 370 Posts

·
Banned
11,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
There are lots of ways to bring the economy back on line, Cumo is speaking to this right now. Theoretically, it can even be based on age, keeping older folks out longer (just as a possible example)...The word he used is "risk-stratification". It is a good word. Cuomo is highly motivated, NYS is loosing billions in lost revenue right now.

It would be very foolish to not get people back to work where it makes sense. It is all about risk management, being creative, and keeping the negativity in check.

·
Premium Member
7,685 Posts
From CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Take a look at the the chart that's tracking daily cases by illness onset date.... it paints a different picture...
Well, that's interesting, looks like a peak around the 16th of March..
Its not like we quit testing people either.
Something else interesting...how is it that New York has 26,358 cases and Ca with a population of 40 million only has 2,511? Maybe because they are all smashed together??
All this goes to show is that we will not have any accurate data until this thing is long gone. Theory and guesswork will have to suffice for now.
I just hope they don't say nitrocellulose is the cure....

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Well, that's interesting, looks like a peak around the 16th of March..
Its not like we quit testing people either.
Something else interesting...how is it that New York has 26,358 cases and Ca with a population of 40 million only has 2,511? Maybe because they are all smashed together??
All this goes to show is that we will not have any accurate data until this thing is long gone. Theory and guesswork will have to suffice for now.
I just hope they don't say nitrocellulose is the cure....
Thats one conclusion. Another, probably accurate conclusion would be, if, hypothetically, we could magically produce another 500k tests, administer them, and get results- overnight- that there would be another sudden upward spike in "confirmed " cases....

There's pleanty of data, both specific to SARS- CoV-2, and more abstract to epidemiology in general. Some os accurate, some is more theoretical.

NY is case heavy exactly for the reason you suggest- population density. Its a psudo mega city. CA is far more spread out

·
Registered
95 Posts
Striker/Countryboy: I pray that you are correct and that this whole situation is overblown. I also pray that Karma doesn't pay you a visit. It would seem that some people only consider it a crisis if they are one of the miniscule % that are laying in a hospital bed connected to incubator. I personally would rather err on the side of caution. I live on 3 acres in the Sierras, my closest neighbor is 3 acres away, so that is my social distancing. The local Safeway 9 miles away has senior shopping on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6AM till 9AM. Next Tuesday we will probably break quarantine and go in for supplies. When we return home we will resume self quarantine and continue to do so as long as necessary. Fortunately I am retired and don't have anyplace I "have" to be. Good Luck to you and your families, praying for your safety.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
People seem to be moving around more, me included, and the roads are starting to get more crowded already. It looks like the initial panic has worn off a bit.
In the end it doesn’t really matter what doctors or scientists say. I doubt that your politicians have any credibility. People are gonna do their own math and come to their own conclusions. I don’t know the right answer, but I don’t think a State wide “Lock Down” is gonna work. In my opinion, if the rumors are true about people fleeing the state, then it has already failed.

It doesn’t matter if Lock Down is the best move or not. It is the will of the people that is gonna prevail. I think the risk is gonna be weighed as too low for many healthy Americans to remain at home. People want to work. Unfortunately older Americans are smart to stay in place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Idaho Governor issued a "stay in place" order this afternoon. Lots of exceptions, like going to get groceries, doctor, truckers, mechanics, mail, UPS, more or less all essential services will stay open. Restaurants closed except for drive thru, or curb service. Supposed to last for 21 days. Up till now, only Blaine county had restrictions, that is Sun Valley where they had a concentration of cases. I think the whole state of Idaho only has about 60 cases, but it might be a few more now.

I am not concerned, lots of food on hand and necessary hardware to protect it. No one expects any problems from this, other than the TP shelves and some others tend to get cleaned off rapidly. That panic buying will taper off soon enough and it will get back to normal here.

I do think that the medical experts are looking for a flattening of the new case reported curve, which generally indicates it is under control. Some states are getting out ahead of it and some with very dense population clusters are not as of yet. It is amusing to see the Mayor of NYC blaming the president for his problems, while he didn't lock down his city and citizens fled to infect other areas of the country.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow !!! . . .

Why is he coming to Texas? ~ He was Coming Home !!!

We already have too many Californians here. ~ HUH ??? . . . He's a Texan !!!

Somebody meet him at the border and turn him around-back to California. ~ "SOMEBODY" ??? Sooo, JBnTX ... Why Don't "You" Just Try to Do That ???
Shame on You !!!:(

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Eh. I caught it from somewhere and it's really not even as annoying as real flu. Barely stopped me for a day and mostly because I was unsure why I was feeling off and decided to sleep.

I'm now certain this is overreaction at its finest
I know this post is a bit late but there are a few corona virus'. Only one causes the covid-19 disease. You may have a benign one, or the regular flu.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If China is actually getting zero new cases (they, historically, have not been exactly transparent & truthful) it would be due to their IMMENSE & OVERWHELMING (their immense and overwhelming response would violate our constitution and destroy America) response to the threat.

For example, in Wuhan they built an entire humongous hospital complex (brick & mortar? No. Faster than we could? Yes) in 10 days flat! Here in the US we can't build a damn gas station that fast. Maybe we can prop up tents on that timeframe.

The Chinese have total lockdown in affected regions for all non-essential personnel. Checked at roadblocks. They do door to door temperature checks on civilians & forced detention in giant quarantine centers. They are totally on the ball (You have to be kidding me. It takes a dictatorship to do what they are doing. Including all of the terrible things that you either don't know about or are ignoring.) in a 100% national no-holds-barred effort.

So yeah, if they are making progress it's because they are All In (They are communists, liars, killers, turned this on the world by not telling us). Doing every possible measure to prevent the spread of the disease. They are showing the world how it's DONE (OH YES. Take away my liberties for some security).

They sure are not sitting around thinking that it will just "blow over" No! They have already given it to the world-Quietly, thus making it incredibly worse.)

Because it's a highly contagious, deadly disease. Without human intervention & left to it's own devices the ONLY way it could "blow over" is this:

Every person on Earth gets exposed and either survives, & has. or acquires, resistance, or flat-out DIES. (That happens with ANY virus, common or deadly.)

That's it. Without a vaccine or effective treatment that's it. That's the natural course. (Same course as with the flu, etc.)
This post scares me! Maybe I am taking this post wrong magazineman, but it sounds like you, and a few others are so terrified of this virus that you are actually complimenting the Chinese on what they are doing.
We don't actually know everything they are doing. Locking large areas up and letting the people survive, or die on their own without help?

If solving this virus issue in America is going "All In" by following the Chinese response leave me out.

And yes, China doesn't often tell the truth (do they ever?). You have no idea how many people in China have it, have had it, or how many truly have died.

Many people on this thread, obviously, are panicked, and it sounds like they are fine letting the Federal government "take over." I hate to think how those of you would react if, or when, they try to confiscate our weapons. It sounds like you couldn't handle the heat and would immediately roll over.

Wccountryboy and Striker2237 DO(!!!) seem to have accurate statistics from everything I have been hearing and reading. I believe that i listen and read to accurate media on this issue.

The CDC doctors did say (last night or the night before) that covid19 is showing to be more contagious but less deadly than the common flu, which killed 80,000 people in the US last year. Can you imagine how many people catch the flu and don't report it? I have had it a number of times in my life and I haven't been to the hospital once. Most people I have talked to have no idea how many people die every year from the flu (they are shocked when they hear) and have to rethink how much worse this virus is appearing to be than the flu.

I am not saying we shouldn't take this seriously. I appreciate the fact that we are trying to mitigate the number of people being exposed by many of the mandates (not all). However, this virus has been unbelievably politicized, and to go to the extremes of spending the kind of money the gov't is going to spend, do we want to kill it economically?

Our founders gave, in many cases, their lives and livelihoods to found this country. I don't believe they would approve of us going to these extremes, and destroying it by spending this kind of money for what it looks like we are going to see at the end of this.

Quit drinking what the mass media is telling you everyone. Serious YES, the virus itself destroying our country? NO. Additional trillions of dollars spent on it, POSSIBLY!

·
Registered
48 Posts
C'mon man......months ago, travel was shut down from China. POTUS was called a racist for doing it right away. Everything was in full swing after that. Just because the media is not satisfied with industry not being able to churn out 10 million test kits in 24 hours, now its his fault. We are far more prepared than any other country. You cant just crap out a billion high tech ventilators over night either. No other administration would have done any better. AND it is the RED CHINESE KUNG FLU!
South Korea kicked out millions of tests in no time. They had tested 140,000 people Tested when we had only tested 2,000. I’m not saying it’s the presidents fault, but it’s pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
South Korea kicked out millions of tests in no time. They had tested 140,000 people Tested when we had only tested 2,000. I’m not saying it’s the presidents fault, but it’s pretty pathetic.
The FDA wouldn't approve the tests that South Korea used. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but they might have a valid reason

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Millions of test kits, and only 140k tested...? Tha mat doesn't make sense.
Yes, the US was slowed to produce tests, and yiu can see the effect in the spike in "confirmed " cases...
However, confidants and numbers don't impact treatment or response...

·
Registered
23,125 Posts
How fortunate we all are.

That we have so many experts on this that are also members of the forum here. Additionally that they are so willing to keep the rest of us squared away.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
capper--- Like it or not it seems that the Chinese, at this point, have lessened the spread.

By quashing individual rights among many other Illegal-In-America & likely immoral type methods? Yes. No doubt.

But my pointing out their apparent success with their No-Holds-Barred techniques does not make me a fanboy of their oppressive regime, or Chinese policies in general.

I'm not suggesting we do exactly whatever they are up to, but we'd be fools to ignore every one of their effective measures because of American pride & commie hatred.

We don't have to respect them or like them. But if we can learn from their successes, that would be wise. Because hey, it's not like they don't steal OUR ideas!

Anyhow As of an hour ago in the US we were at 65,778 confirmed cases. With 942 Deaths and 361 recovered.

If we are smart we can improve on those numbers. I suppose you heard about the 50-person, fancy party in Westport Connecticut. Half of them got Covid 19 just from attending! And they spread it all over afterwards.

This is what we are dealing with. Be smart, stay apart. I just invented that. No charge.

·
Premium Member
7,685 Posts
One of their ways of “dealing with it” is to shoot the ailing that have been pulled from the hospitals and deemed non-recoverable. Barbarian bat eaters.

241 - 260 of 370 Posts