Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOX NEWS STORY - CA SHOOTING

I cannot believe this! Has anyone seen this yet? Check out the video in the sidebar to the right!

UNREAL

I am curious what you fine gentleman might have done if you had been one of the many, maybe 50, people standing buy and watching this go down. I can honestly not believe that no one even tried to help this lawyer through this fiasco! It is scary to think that this could even happen in todays society. Maybe only in CA though, who knows.

I have so many thoughts running through my head after watching this several times that I am nearly speachless.

I hope this is not what I am out here fighting for.

CPL Gypsy Mur'Ray
US Army
Deployed - Iraq

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just saw it on the news, and I can't believe no one had the backbone to stop this guy. Maybe they were afraid of being sued or something.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maybe they all knew he was a lawyer :D

Seriously though, I am likewise speechless that no one had the courage to intervene. Maybe it's the lack of obtainable concealed carry permits that have transformed many Californians into sheeple.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well, it doesn't surprise me that nobody tried to stop the BG. I mean, this happened outside a California courthouse where Robert Blake was on trial, so just imagine what types of bystanders were most likely in attendance:

1) Liberal anti gun attorneys.

2) Liberal anti gun news media personnel.

I doubt there were any armed civilians there. And only a fool shows up unarmed at a gun fight.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I think that attempting to confront an armed man, especially one who is in the process of shooting at someone, would take an awful lot of courage. This would be especially true if a person was unarmed, and that would probably be the case since this took place outside of a courthouse. I'd like to hope that myself or anyone else here would take the risk but until one is actually confronted with a situation it can't really be known how he or she would react. It's of course very easy to judge the people there who did nothing, it would be another matter of course to actually do differently than they did. Stay safe Gypsy, Gary

·
Registered
271 Posts
The news footage looked like there were more media types (especially cameramen) around simply because of the Blake trial than anyone else. I did notice a number of people pointing to the BG as he was walking away and yelling that this was the shooter.

A off-duty LEO wound up taking the guy down then one or two bystanders piled on as uniformed LEO's arrived.

I would think that the people standing around would be more dumbfounded and not really realizing what was going on especially in the first few moments. Once a person finally realizes that somebody is shooting at another person, I think the first common-sense thing to do would be to get to safety and perhaps help others get out of the line of fire.

From a legal standpoint, how would a person who was lawfully carrying be able to take out the BG? Does CA have some sort of "Good Samaritan" law or could that be a legal defense if a CCW holder dropped the guy? I guess that outside of just seeing one person shooting another, how would you know the specific circumstances?

I probably would have tried to intervene like the LEO did (at least I like to think I would!!) but only after the shooting stopped.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Only LEO's can carry weapons into California courthouses. At one time only the bailiff's were allowed to carry in the courtrooms themselves. Other LEO's who were there to testify had to hand over their gun to the bailiff. However, I believe this is no longer the case. Thus, you aren't going to find too many people other than LEO's carrying in the vicinity of courtrooms.

California law does allow you to come to the aid of someone who is being attacked, and to use deadly force if the situation warrants. However, you had better be very sure of the circumstances if you decide to intervene.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Off duty my departmental policy pretty much breaks down into the following: If you are present off-duty at the scene of a crime in progress, you must use your best judgement to determine wether you should intervene. Often you are without a radio, and therefore without backup, there may be multiple suspects and only yourself, there may be no iminent danger to the public. You should be a good witness. However if you REASONABLY (key word here) believe your life or the life of others may be endangered you may use that force you deem neccessary.

This is not word for word, but paraphrased. In the type of situation discussed here, it's hard to say what the "Right" course of action would/should have been. There were very obviously many other witnesses/people around, so exchanging gunfire may not be a very good idea. If you are in the courthouse and therefore unarmed, running up and getting shot yourself isn't going to help anyone. So that's one of those situations in which I don't think you can say what you would do until you are actually in that situation.

And here's another question. Do you think that the attorney could/should have done something better or differently? Looking at the age, shape, and apparent skill of the shooter, I think he may have been better served by running from the threat, than by seeking cover behind that small tree. The gunman was apparently not very skilled, he shot from the hip, and I think would have probably missed entirely if the distance had been greater. Also looking at him, I don't think the shooter was going to chase anyone down!

Hershey

·
Registered
36 Posts
We can all figure out a better course of action sitting here. To be honest I think he did the right thing by seeking cover behind a tree, even a small one. How far do you think he would have gotten if he tried to run. Doesn't take much time to pull a trigger. If he tried to run by the time he turned around he'd have a bullet in his back. You never know what type of backround the person has. There isn't much one can do when somebody pulls a gun on you and is about five feet away when you aren't armed. Plus do most lawyers know any self defense. I'm not trying to stereotype here.... Oh wait I am, lol. The best defense would have been a couple .45 230 grain hollowpoints to the chest.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Am I to understand that some of you guys would intervene unarmed while there is lead in the air? All I can say is, wow.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
There are three options for an unarmed person at that distance. Try to run from the guy and hope you dont get shot in the back which I think is the worst idea out of the three, try to close and avoid getting shot some more by physically controlling the weapon, or stand there trying to dodge bullets until your assailant runs out of them. He basically did the later and its only luck that he didnt get killed in the process.

·
Banned
570 Posts
Blackthorne45 said:
I just saw it on the news, and I can't believe no one had the backbone to stop this guy. Maybe they were afraid of being sued or something.
Hard charger.

Personally, I would have been pushing those that I am responsible for out the way and behind solid cover and looking for an opportunity to get at least 4 blocks away.

There is no question - that situation, just like the rest of life is a B.Y.O.G. affair.

Remember - you are responsible for your own personal safety, the police mearly show up to clean the mess.

Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.