1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a pistol that I can use in steel matches. I'm leaning towards a .40 because I'm thinking that I would also be able to shoot IPSC with it in limited class. I don't shoot IPSC now and I may or may not ever do it, but at least I would be equipped if I decided to. The other train of thought is if I buy a 9MM Limited gun, like a double stack STI, that would open up an oppourtunity to convince the wife I needed another pistol at a later time. If I were to decide on a gun that I was just going to use for steel, what is the caliber of choice among most shooters?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I have tried them all at one time or another. Can't say I ever had a problem with 40 S&W but they are all good. A 9mm might not have enough snot to put down the large falling poppers with a low hit. I like 45 ACP but it's what I carry, too.

40 S&W is a very versatile round and can be used for almost any endeavor in practical shooting.

·
Super Moderator
7,790 Posts
For just steel I would get a 9x19.

Falling steel I would get a 40.

A 45 might be macho and cool, but they are getting expensive to feed...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I too am a fan of the .45. When prices started going up I did what most would do and started reloading. I am shooting 200 gr. SWC that I get 500 for $20 from a local guy that cast his own.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I Like shooting my .40. I like my 1911 in .45 better for shooting steel. I guess I will have to buy me a 1911 chambered in .40 then I might change my mind..
I guess to me the caliber does not really matter .. Its just the 1911 shoots far better than my Plastic Pistols.. Like I said that may change when I get a 1911 chambered in the 40 S&W! Ammo prices are not really to much of a factor for me as I reload...:rock:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I do most of my shooting with a Para P-16/40. The .40 is extremely similar to the .45 and I find that practice with the .40 also prepares me to use the .45 with only a few hundred rounds to get back in the groove.

.40 brass is everywhere and virtually free for the taking. I use a 155 gr swc lead bullet for practice which is a saving over the 200 I use in .45. The .40 load also uses less WW 231 than the .45. All in all, the .40 is a cheaper substitute for the .45.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
If you wanted to shoot a 9mm and .40 just get a Kimber 9mm and fit a .40 barrel. Kimber uses the same width breech face for both.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

Back when I was shooting limited division here's the gun that worked extremely well for me. It's a 9mm and 40 switch top gun.
I used this gun for both types of steel matches, USPSA/IPSC, and Action Pistol matches.
Since I no longer shoot any competition the gun's a safe queen now.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went to the STI/American Handgunner World Shoot-off this past summer and it was a mix of calibers. Mostly 9 mm with the forty running fairly close. Jerry Miculek won it, again, with a .38 Spec.

One of my friends is using a (.40 S&W) 143 grain lead load with American Select Powder. I used it yesterday in a steel match and I like it. In my Edge it is so soft shooting...way softer than my Kimber 9 loaded to 125 pf.

My thought is that on standing steel/falling plates you use a load that is light and fast to shoot and if you are shooting heavy poppers...have a few that are souped up and use them.

I am not a fast steel shooter, but I shoot with some that are. Most of them are using forty loaded down. They feel that using the same gun for steel and USPSA is the way to go.

Buddy

·
Registered
51 Posts
If money is not a problem you can't beat an STI or SVI in .40 for versatility.

enough ammo for limited or you can do limited 10 if you like. .40cal makes major power factor and through the STI recoil is mild. 40 also puts down the steel easily.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Even though I have 5 SVs in various calibers, I use one SV .40 with the same load for everything. It all feels the same regardles of the target(s). You can master that gun and use it for all the various games.
I built a 9mm SV bushing gun to try instead of my .40 but there wasn't that much difference and the .40 hits harder on steel. The 9mm is back at SV getting a threaded bull barrel to shoot 9mm Major with a comp.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used to shoot IPSC with a 10mm Glock 20. I asked the President of the ROI why they allowed a wildcat .40 round in limited class.

No answer, I guess they still allow those long wildcat .40s in limited.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hey Hunter, I love that gun, it can collect dust in my safe anytime. Seriously, what kind of case is that? I like how it holds all those mags with a gun in it as well.

Roy

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
still caliber of shooter

I have 1911s chambered for 9x19, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon, and 45 ACP.

For steel matches I'd suggest the 9x19.
For knocking over steel I'd suggest 147g bullets in the 9x19.

For least cost to reload I suggest either the 9 or 40.

For carry I suggest the 45 ACP with 230g bullets.

·
Registered
66 Posts
.40 is very popular because it is very versatile. Load it hot for major PF or download for minor PF. It's available in many platforms. In our area I see many top shooters choosing 1911 type guns in .40.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts