1911Forum banner

Caliber

5477 139
With all the advancements made in 9mm ammunition, what do you think the chances are that 9mm will surpass .45 acp in the 1911?
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

· Registered
1,064 Posts
I am always amazed when I read of "all of the advances" that have been made to the 9mm. What exactly were they? It has been stepped up a bit from what it originally was in this country by adding a little extra velocity. In other words, made to the specs that the 9mm in Europe originally was, and always has been. So, other than this, exactly what monumental changes have been made to that puny caliber? Like I have heard more than once. A 9mm may or may not expand - but a 45 will never shrink. Yes, the 9mm will probably surpass the sale of .45 1911s someday. But, this is a result of newer generations of shooters drinking gallons of the Kool Aid that seems to come with the 9mm. It never has, and never will out perform the .45 ACP.

· Administrator
80,268 Posts
That is not what was asked drail; the sales of the 1911 in 9mm becoming more than .45.
Sales of 9mm anything easily surpass most other calibers. Remember it's the cheapest caliber to shoot after .22 rimfire. That's why 9mm 1911s have become so popular. I'm a diehard .45 guy, but when factory .45ACP easily costs twice what 9mm goes for it's hard to keep shooting the .45 much. I don't think people are nearly as concerned about the relative difference in so-called "stopping power". It's just simple economics. You can either shoot up 1000 rounds of 9mm or only shoot 500 rounds of .45 for the same money.

· Registered
1,030 Posts
I am always amazed when I read of "all of the advances" that have been made to the 9mm. What exactly were they? It has been stepped up a bit from what it originally was in this country by adding a little extra velocity. In other words, made to the specs that the 9mm in Europe originally was, and always has been. So, other than this, exactly what monumental changes have been made to that puny caliber? Like I have heard more than once. A 9mm may or may not expand - but a 45 will never shrink. Yes, the 9mm will probably surpass the sale of .45 1911s someday. But, this is a result of newer generations of shooters drinking gallons of the Kool Aid that seems to come with the 9mm. It never has, and never will out perform the .45 ACP.
Bullet construction has gotten much better. The performance of the premium 9mm defensive bullets is considerably better these days.

I’m a died in the wool bigger bullet guy, and all my semi auto carry pistols are .45. But if you think the 9 is puny, are you offering to catch a few?😉

· Administrator
80,268 Posts
I'm not convinced the 9mm has truly "caught up" to the .45 regarding effectiveness. I think it's more due to the fact that the 9mm used to be a really awful defense round, and the modern hollow points now work so well that they've finally gotten this caliber to wake up. The .45 has always been good, even with older bullet designs. However now that the 9mm is a serious contender at last people are drawn to the small size and/or high magazine capacity, not to mention the lower cost of shooting.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
That is not what was asked drail; the sales of the 1911 in 9mm becoming more than .45.
Sales may have been inferred but not directly asked in original post. If we are going to compare sales, I'm sure most new shooters want 9mm. Given time I'm sure 9mm will exceed 45 in 1911 sales.
As far as performance goes, hopped up modern 9 compared to 45 isnt fair. Lets compare hopped up modern 9 to hopped up modern 45 super. No contest there.

· Registered
942 Posts
With all the advancements made in 9mm ammunition, what do you think the chances are that 9mm will surpass .45 acp in the 1911?
Actually you didn't mention sales at all in the first post. Unless a smoking deal for a 9mm 1911 falls in my lap odds are I won't bother getting one. I already have various metal framed 9mms in single and double stack models so I have no particular desire for a 9mm 1911. I would rather buy a Sig P210A if I was to buy another single stack 9mm.
If the 1911 in 9mm surpasses the 45 1911 in sales I would be surprised but not concerned.

· Registered
2,453 Posts
Sales may have been inferred but not directly asked in original post. If we are going to compare sales, I'm sure most new shooters want 9mm. Given time I'm sure 9mm will exceed 45 in 1911 sales.
As far as performance goes, hopped up modern 9 compared to 45 isnt fair. Lets compare hopped up modern 9 to hopped up modern 45 super. No contest there.
You don't even have to step it up to 45 Super. Just find slightly lighter, faster loads in 45 ACP. 155-185 grain .45 ACP travelling at 1050-1,200 FPS > 115-124 Gr 9mm @ 1,100-1,200 FPS.

· Registered
5,820 Posts
Looks like 1/3 of people can't read your question correctly, and another 1/3 has bitten the "advancement" diversion.

This is 2020 production data for the Nighthawk. As we can see, production numbers are very close for 9 vs 45. I used NHC over their bigger neighbor Wilson because Wilson makes a non-1911 9mm too. That said, I believe (although not fully certain) that Bill Wilson has said they made more 9s than 45s

202057104386NIGHTHAWK CUSTOM LLC1306 WEST TRIMBLE AVEBERRYVILLEAR
0​
0​
0​
0​
1645​
1719​
3364​

On a big scheme of things, this is a rather trivial matter. Most people who choose to carry 9 mm don't use a 45 oz gun to pack a whole of 11 rounds of it.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts