1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in California and was unable to buy an AR-15 or HK93 when I had the chance. In short, I want a rifle.

I looked at the SKS and Mini-14. SKS looks like it means business and the Mini-14 just feels cheesy. Then I played with the M1A Loaded and damn that thing was heavy. Too much for me to lug around, I'm pretty much a wimp.

Then I saw the Scout. The M1A Loaded's little brother. Something that fit me, had a bigger bullet than the .223, and felt more solid.

Anyway, before I spend the $1300 I want your thoughts on the rifle. Are they decent? How is Springy, are they good folks or will they sell me a jacked up rifle and? The Scout feels really appealing and I really like it, but after my recent Kimber experience, well I rather not buy another gun I don't know about.

I'd buy another HK in a heartbeat, but they don't have any rifles here in CA.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you have the dough to spend do it. The M1A rifles and such are sweet. I do not own one as I went AR. The M1A's were a bit more pricey than what I had at the time. THe scout looks good.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Boy o boy! You should have seen the AR-15's the local gun shop here got in. They were law enforcement surplus, bayonet lugs and all. He was asking $1600 each and they went quick. Arizona is a nice place to live, if you're ever shopping for a free state.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Have only seen a few negative comments about Sringfield rifles on the web - and any company is going to ship a lemon or three once in awhile.

Only thing I can think of that bothers me about them is the idea of mounting a scope on the barrel. Now.. the Steyr Scout mounts the scope on a sheetmetal extension of the receiver, not the barrel. So any buildup of heat is not going to work it's way into the scope mounts and cause it to distort and maybe cause shifting aim vs impacts. If the Springfield mounts them on the barrel, I would be surprised if they will maintain zero when they heat up. Someone that has one might be able to clarify this one way or the other for you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had an HK 91..I got rid of it right before we had to register them and got an M1A. I wish I could have kept my HK..But i love my M1A..It is heavy but is more accurate and easier to shoot than my HK. I am planning to buy another one before they become illegal as well...I only wish I would have bought a lot of 20 rd mags a few years back when they were cheap.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Kevan:
Boy o boy! You should have seen the AR-15's the local gun shop here got in. They were law enforcement surplus, bayonet lugs and all. He was asking $1600 each and they went quick. Arizona is a nice place to live, if you're ever shopping for a free state.
Damn!!! Pre-Ban Colt's LWT Government Carbines most likely... $1600 is a fair price, and I will again be in the market to get one, but I have to finish the relocation thing, and escape the "Occupied Territoy".

Too Bad, so Sad... I am very glad I got mine before the slammed the door shut. I never really had a need for one after I got out of the military, but when the law was passed, I knew, it was now, or never. Soooo, every penny I had went to stocking up... I became a Mag-a-Holic. I am recovering now, but just when I thought I could lay back, along came SB15, and the thought of having only 12 chances a year to buy a handgun that might not be available after the new legislation, so we "invested heavily"

All I can tell you is if you want to REALLY own some nice toys, you need to move!

I am looking forward to filling the safe with some Class 3 toys as soon as I am relocated... A Registered M16, and an HK MP5K are up on the list, along with some Suppressor's for each, and an integrated Suppressor Can for the Camp 45, and Ruger 10/22. Figure it's time to save my hearing

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Arizona is very automatic weapons-friendly. There are a couple shops that carry autos; one specializes in them. People here aren't in each others' business. Guns are normal here. Most folks here own them. The antis are a very unvocal minority here. They don't get any media time here that I know of. You'll be surprised at how fresh free air can be.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey Skunk,

The Scout is a definate go! Springfield is a great company and I have had good experiences shooting at least a dozen M1A varients, including the scout. My opinion is if you go with the Scout, forget about the scope. Iron sights rule with that gun. Some think they are cumbersome, but CQB with a M1A is a reality. I practice quick mag changes and double taps at 10 yards with mine. If you want a Scoped M1A, I'd suggest a M21 or a National Match.. My 2C.

BTW, buy em' now because it is IMHO the last great military semi availabe to us in CA.. Sad fuc&*in life ehhh>>?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I too live in the People's Republic of California, so I feel your pain. I was looking at picking up an M1A, but after Sept. 11, all the gunshops in the area were picked clean. There is a happy ending, however. I was able to reserve one the new limited edition M1 Garands that Springfield is putting out in the next few weeks (hopefully). It "only" cost $900 before tax, and I highly doubt the powers that be are going to try to ban the M1 Garand (yeah, sure). I haven't heard too much about the rifle itself, but I'm told it has a forged receiver, and it is from Springfield, so it can't be too bad. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I own a M1a Scout Squad and love it!! Very accurate and reliable. Being a Kalifornia resident, I did not have the ability to buy any other "battle" rifles and was also hesitant about the M1a's. Now that I have it and have shot it a BUNCH - I love it and would not hesitate to purchase another (if I had the need).

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The easiest (and best) solution?

Move out of California. You will find some very gun friendly states nearby.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Sistema1927:
The easiest (and best) solution?

Move out of California. You will find some very gun friendly states nearby.
Nah, I'm gonna stay and vote until guns start being confiscated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts