1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ruger 10/22 rifle made between 1981 & 1985. A fella in california wants to buy it. Can i legally sell it to him if i send it to a ffl licenced dealer IN CALF. to recieve it for him ? Calf. Laws are alot different than most places and i dont want to break any laws.
Thanks for any help guys
bob

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have bought and sold as a Californicator. Go through an FFL at both ends and it is no problem. The FFL here in CA will do the paperwork to make sure the buyer is legal and make him/her suffer the 10-day CA wait. The FFL holder here will charge, typically, $50 to $100. So for a 10/22 that may be significant. Your FFL holder and the CA FFL holder - unless you are one - will require a fax exchange of FFLs.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have a ruger 10/22 rifle made between 1981 & 1985. A fella in california wants to buy it. Can i legally sell it to him if i send it to a ffl licenced dealer IN CALF. to recieve it for him ? Calf. Laws are alot different than most places and i dont want to break any laws.
Thanks for any help guys
bob
If you are not an FFL you can mail direct to his FFL, so long as his FFL will accept a firearm from a non-licensed (no FFL) individual. If you are an FFL and in addition to getting a copy of the receiving CA FFL, you will need to get a specific ID number and register (takes 5 minutes) with CA CFLC system. It's done on line, it's easy - it's a PITA that it exists and how CA can impinge on a federally licensed dealer in that respect is beyond me, but that's the system if you are an FFL. If you're not you don't have to use CFLC.

Don't include any +10 magazines or if you do, have them disassembled. CA has a hi cap mag ban, but kits to repair hi caps already in state is OK.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Several transactions and have not found a CA FFL holder who would deal with other than another FFL holder.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Take a vacation to LaLaLand and you can take your gun with you and sell it to a CA FFL who can transfer it.

You can ship a gun to a manufacturer or gunsmith, for repir, without having an FFL yourself. But AFAIK the exception does not allow you to ship to an FFL for a third party sale.
www.atf.gov

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Since it is a long gun and not a handgun (which must be on the list,) you shouldn't have too hard a time finding an FFL who will receive the gun for the buyer. There is a big difference between handguns and long guns but you still need to check with the buyer's FFL first. Better yet, let the buyer find an FFL who will take it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
guntrader ... where is you FFL holder located. I am in SoCal and have found no FFL holder that will deal with other than another FFL holder. UNLESS, both parties are in the shop and a face to face private party occurs ... still a 10day wait.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
guntrader ... where is you FFL holder located. I am in SoCal and have found no FFL holder that will deal with other than another FFL holder. UNLESS, both parties are in the shop and a face to face private party occurs ... still a 10day wait.
You may want to check out the Calguns web site - they should have FFL info and I'm sure can help. Typically the fellow receiving the gun has the responsibiity of finding an FFL who will accept the gun - I'd say you're being a good sport about the deal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
im in san jose, my transfer dealer is in santa clara. ive received multiple long guns and a couple of handguns from out of state private parties that did not go through an ffl on their end. my xfer dealer does want their full names and adress though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts