1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody is familiar with the California Rifle and Pistol Association (http://www.crpa.org/)? They say they are the California arm of the NRA, and I've asked the NRA, but getting them to answer an e-mail is like finding Hillary at a NRA convention.

Just wondering if this is a valid, legitimate, and worthwhile organization or just a joke and a rip off.
Dan'o [8D]

·
Registered
442 Posts
HIPCHIP said:
I was wondering if anybody is familiar with the California Rifle and Pistol Association (http://www.crpa.org/)? They say they are the California arm of the NRA, and I've asked the NRA, but getting them to answer an e-mail is like finding Hillary at a NRA convention.

Just wondering if this is a valid, legitimate, and worthwhile organization or just a joke and a rip off.
Dan'o [8D]
If I remember correctly, back in the 90s they preached compromise.
We see how that worked out....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dad's been a certified "Gun Nut" for years, and I asked him if he'd heard of them, and he had no idea who they were. I guess they aren't very effective in California, as seen by our gun laws (then again, how effective is the NRA in Cali?).

I wouldn't be surprised to find they are a part of the Sierra Club!
Dan'o :}

·
Registered
271 Posts
I used to belong. The only reason i joined was so i could buy an M1 Garand through CMP.

They sure weren't any help when we were doing the RKBA initiative. Never even answered their e-mails. That's why i let my membership expire.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, it doesn't sound like they're worth donating money to or joining. I'll just have to put my hopes on the NRA and sending E-Mails to the folks that are supposed to be working FOR us!

·
Registered
20 Posts
CRPA does a good job

The CRPA is the state association for the NRA. It has been around for many years. The NRA works through state associations on most state issues, that is the CRPA. The CRPA is doing the best they can with a hostile governor and legislature. If you don't support them, you are just cheating yourself out of representation in California politics.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The CRPA is doing the best they can with a hostile governor and legislature. If you don't support them, you are just cheating yourself out of representation in California politics.
Bull stuff. Where the hell were they when we were doing the RKBA initiative? The never answered any of my several e-mails asking for support or any kind of help they could offer. Other than asking for donations they haven't done much of anything for Cal gun owners.

·
Registered
20 Posts
CRPA Is a Good Organization

They did not help you with your initiative? It was your initiative, not theirs. You sent them some emails and they were supposed to immediately respond to your requests? I think you need to work more closely with people than that to get their support.

Let me ask you, who else in California is working for gun owners? People like you, who would rather complain about a pro gun organization than work with it are why we don't have more influence in California.

·
Registered
909 Posts
How effective is the NRA is Ca,

California gun laws could not ever pass without the apathy of it's gunowners. Neither the NRA, or any other gun organization can provide backbone for people who don't have it.

The NRA, and probably all pro gun groups are corporations, they can spread the alarm, but they can't make people act.It is individual gun owners who will lose their rights. Gun owners should take it upon themselves to educate themselves about pending legislation, and to monitor bills before they even become law. Groups like the NRA should only have to fine tune public outrage against gun control, not be expected to defend complacent citizen's rights.

Just what should the pro gun groups do to wake up the comatose, put up billboards that say " you are really going to get screwed if you don't wake up, stupid"?

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
If you've got no local support, no amount of National support can help! Kalifornia gun owners have to get off their asses or lose what few freedoms they have. I live right next door in Arizona, and the proof is right here! Active gun lobby, conservative views, even with the fifth largest city in the country!

·
Registered
494 Posts
DO NOT link the NRA and CRPA together. Do not be fooled. The NRA is quite active in this state, and has shown a strong presence in recent years fighting for out 2A rights. CRPA, on the other hand, has a less-than-stellar reputation amongst many gun-owners here.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I was a member of CRPA before I escaped from the State. It's tough to get changes in the gun laws in California. CRPA does as much as can be done - but that's not as much as we all would have liked.

If you join CRPA, it might help, and it can't hurt. If you don't join CRPA, who are you going to affiliate with? :(

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That seems to be the general opinion about them. I asked the NRA if they knew anything about them, and I didn't even get a responce. Problems with Cali, and some organizations elsewhere, is they'll take a cool name and then they do the opposite or just take your money, so I'll just keep supporting the NRA as at least I know they are legit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You guys do realize that with all the spam out there its very likely that you won't get an email response. Why don't you use the phone? I never get email responses from the NRA, but when I use the phone someone always picks up and deals with me politely and professionally.

I suspect if you called someone at CRPA you might have a different opinion... maybe, maybe not, but at least you'd have made an effort.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I lived in Cali, I was a member. My impression was that the organization was mostly ineffective, but not entirely due to their own fault. I was continuously amazed at how apathetic Cali gun owners were. I lived in Cali for 16 years, participated in gun-related activities (such as IDPA), and met maybe 10 people who were members of either the NRA, CRPA, or both. Most gun owners seemed to think, "I'll enjoy my gun rights while I can; once I lose them, I'll find another hobby."

The best benefit of my CRPA membership was the info they sent out regarding pending state laws to be concerned about, and where different pols stood on gun laws.

Bottom line: CRPA seemed to do the best with what they had, but they didn't have much. There's a lesson there for all of us.

·
Registered
271 Posts
They did not help you with your initiative? It was your initiative, not theirs.
Wrong. It was an initiative for ALL Cal gun owners.

You sent them some emails and they were supposed to immediately respond to your requests? I think you need to work more closely with people than that to get their support.
So it's to much to ask for them to answer e-mails from a dues paying member? Let me get this one straight...i support them by joining their association and sending donations, but it's to much for a dues paying member to ask for a little help or advice?

Let me ask you, who else in California is working for gun owners? People like you, who would rather complain about a pro gun organization than work with it are why we don't have more influence in California.
Since you asked i'll tell you. How can you work with an organization that doesn't even have the common courtesy to answer a dues paying member? Maybe they were afraid i was going to ask them for money. I was involved gathering signature to get the RKBA initiative on the ballot. All expense came out of our own pockets. I write letters to the editor. I sent e-mails to my senators and Arnie asking him not to sign the 50 cal, micro stamping and lead ammo ban bills. I contact both Democrat and Republican senators and congressmen urging them to vote against any anti gun legislation. I educate people about the true facts on gun control every chance i get. I've been an NRA life member since 1974.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts