1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a Defender I've had on lawaway this Thursday, but having heard about a "loaded" Defender that sounded curious on this website, I called Colt to make sure nothing was sneaking out we hadn't heard of.

I was told that no modification to the Defender line was planned for the forseeable future. I asked if there was any hope of a .38 Super or 10mm soon, and he told me "only if a distributor asks for it."

Brent

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
hmm, I wonder how many guns I'd have to order to get a Defender in .38 super...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Originally posted by FirearmsPlus.FL:
hmm, I wonder how many guns I'd have to order to get a Defender in .38 super...
Why don't you call, you are a distributor, aren't you. I'm in for a 10mm

------------------
O.K., My Turn

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have been more clear in my post- I asked about full size .38 Supers and 10mm's.

The shortest anyone has succesfully gone with a 10mm 1911 is a Commander length slide (Brian Bilby of ACP's Pocket Rocket) with an Officers frame. Slide velocity accross the full spectrum of 10mm ammo is too diffucult to retard with an Officers length slide- at least according to Brian.

S&W made a protype "micro" 1006 that was one slide length down from the 1066 size guns for a potential FBI backup - but they too gave up after failing to make it work right.

Still, Commander or CCO size 10mm's make great guns- I have two friends who carry them every day.

Anyway, I agree- a .38 Super Defender would be great! Even a 9x19 would be fun- not to mention 9x23.

Brent

------------------

·
Registered
218 Posts
A dealer told me that a distributor has to order a 1000 pistols from Colt for them to do a run of .38 Super or 10mm. While occasional .38 Super Govt Models still appear, I have not seen anything in 10mm since the Colt Delta (a plain jane 1911) about five or six years ago.

BTW, I had a Commander in .38 Super and disliked the muzzle flash on it. Both calibers, .38 Super and 10mm, are best used in the five inch Govt Model, IMO. Anything shorter is more suitable for a 9mm Luger, which has been done. It is still a good idea.

I know that the late Brian Bilby was an advocate of the 10mm on the 1911 platform. We even discussed it somewhat on another board. However, I respectfully beg to differ. It is not a suitable caliber for the 1911. The .38 Super or .45 ACP are best. Both are time tested and proven reliable everyday in years of daily carry and competition use.

[This message has been edited by Drago (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can a 1911 work okay with .45 ACP and .38 Super (which works at nearly the same pressure as the 10mm) and not with a caliber in the middle of them in terms of bullet diameter, and a bit above in terms of pressure?

If pressure is the issue, why does the 9x23 work so well in a 1911?

You certainly have a right to your opinion- but explain why I have 3 10mm 1911's, one a hand built SV, that run flawlessly and digest thousands of rounds a year?

Given that two of the above mentioned guns were built by Brian I can assure you he knew more about building 1911's than you or I will ever forget.

Looking forward to your response...

Respectfully,

Brent

------------------

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
To be fair, he was saying that the COMMANDER wasn't a good platform in 10mm or .38
Myself, I like the .38 super in the commander, and don't like the patchwork look of 9mm or .40 cal mags.

If you look at Heinie's site, he seems to prefer Commanders in 9X23 a great deal.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"It is not a suitable caliber for the 1911"

This is the statement I was responding to.

Brent

------------------

·
Registered
218 Posts
I cannot convince 10mm lovers of anything.

Enjoy your caliber, on whatever platform it is.

I've pretty much wimped out. I'll stick with the Hi-Power and the 9mm Luger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts