1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a counseil to use it, as its vapors should inhibits rust. I use it (lighted with a flame) for smoking the sights before a match, but I 've never used it as an anticorrosive. Someone has tried? Thanks, MAXM

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Well, if you were to check the tool boxes of many a old time tool maker you'd find camphor blocks smelling up the tools. They weren't there to keep moths out. LOL

I've used them in tool boxes for a long time, it may take a bit to find the blocks now. They do a good job of keeping things rust free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
camphor blocks

My father, a talented tool and die maker, kept camphor blocks in every drawer of his tool chests. It does a wonderful job of blocking rust and corrosion on steel, but know that it is insidious, and gets into every tiny crack and crevise(the molecules that leave the block. It will 'go away' over time). Also know that it will "kill" some rubber compounds, and make brittle some plastics. If you have plastic parts, rubber grips, shok-buffs, rubber seals etc. that you are concerned about, camphor might not be the best product to use.
I speak from woefull experience!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts