1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking about embarking on another build. The process was quite enjoyable and I've been tempted to do another, but in .38 super or 9x19. I do not have the mill to fit a ramped barrel however, and I have seen unramped barrels for sale on brownells. Can these be made to run reliably? If not, I'm probably just gonna get a 9mm or .38 super 1911 and upgrade it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Yes. It's been done before and will be again.

Although my own is ramped because I started with a Kimber Gold Match .38 Super I do believe the pistol as Mr. Browning designed it is most likely to run reliably.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
As Clark notes, yes it can be done. Colt and other manufacturers have been making them work since 1929 - the year the 1911 came out chambered in 38 Automatic - though we now call it 38 Super Automatic +P.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
First of all like the others said. But.....

Judging from the set up on my colt frames in 45, 38 super, 9mm and 10/40 and their respective barrels, this is not something I would personally want to under take on a frame pre-prepped for a 45 conventional non-ramped barrel. Now my examples are all of the post 1970 era and it may have been done differently prior to that and by other makers today. I do have a couple of Texas made frames not pre set up for anything so they will require some sort of milling no matter the caliber selection route taken.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I have a STI Spartan in 9mm that does not have a ramped barrel. Runs very reliably so long as the bullet is at least sort of round nosed. Feeds HP's if they are round nose. Doesn't like flat nose bullets. It may run 2-3 mags of flat nose ok, but will eventually choke. The chamber has a pretty flat ledge at the bottom, where most unramped barrels are angled to match the feed ramp. STI offered to fix this issue. I guess they would have blended the bottom of the barrel a little better. I suspect it was made this way to more fully support the case head. I passed that one on to my wife and bought a Trojan with a ramped barrel. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yes, these sub-caliber 1911s will all usually work with unramped barrels.

Aftermarket frames can be purchased with the ramp cut already done.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
A barrel not ramped will work. As others mentioned Colt has been doing it ever since they chambered their 1911 in 9MM and 38Super. Ramped barrels only became popular when IPSC Shooters started loading the Super so hot to make Major Power Factor they started to blow the cases leading to the term "Superfaced". With normal loads there is nothing to worry about, although some claim the ramp barrels improve feeding.

·
Registered
618 Posts
As previously stated yes but if you are getting your frame from Caspian they will cut the frame for you for a small fee.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So then if a frame is cut for the ramp all you need to do is buy the barrel with the same type of ramp and fit it like you would any other barrel? I was looking at Kart 9mm or 38 super barrels. So would you just fit the hood and the upper locking lugs like you would a normal barrel? As a related question...what would be the better ramp between the Wilson/Nowlin or the Clark/Para?

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
So then if a frame is cut for the ramp all you need to do is buy the barrel with the same type of ramp and fit it like you would any other barrel? Yes I was looking at Kart 9mm or 38 super barrels. So would you just fit the hood and the upper locking lugs like you would a normal barrel? Yes, if it is an EZ-fit model. If it is a Kart gunsmith fit design, you have to fit everything and finish chamber it. As a related question...what would be the better ramp between the Wilson/Nowlin or the Clark/Para?
I'm not aware of significant differences between the W/N and C/P designs except for the fitting cut in the frame ("square" vs "rounded"). The ramps should be the same. Maybe someone knows different.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Some find the set up for cutting the clark para ramp easier. I have used clark/ para/lissner ramp for years on the recommendation of Wil Schuemann. His statements were that, with the lissner modification to the original design, the CP cut was stronger.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
So then if a frame is cut for the ramp all you need to do is buy the barrel with the same type of ramp and fit it like you would any other barrel? I was looking at Kart 9mm or 38 super barrels. So would you just fit the hood and the upper locking lugs like you would a normal barrel? As a related question...what would be the better ramp between the Wilson/Nowlin or the Clark/Para?
I have seen some nomenclature confusion before. So let us make sure we do not have any. A frame will have a ramp unless the frame has been cut for a ramped barrel. Some frames for sale have no ramp at all. This allows the frame ramp to be tailored for a specific caliber or cut for the ramped barrel.

Here is a 9x19 barrel sitting on a 45 ramped frame.

Here is the nine mil barrel sitting on the 9mil frame it was tailored to at the factory. The gun runs. You can see the difference of the ramp portions of the two frames. The slope and depth are different.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So I've been thinking about embarking on another build. The process was quite enjoyable and I've been tempted to do another, but in .38 super or 9x19. I do not have the mill to fit a ramped barrel however, and I have seen unramped barrels for sale on brownells. Can these be made to run reliably? If not, I'm probably just gonna get a 9mm or .38 super 1911 and upgrade it. Any thoughts?
I took a Taurus 38 super that is nonramped and feeds good and fitted a 9mm barrel to it. Feeds everything put through it :rock:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen some nomenclature confusion before. So let us make sure we do not have any. A frame will have a ramp unless the frame has been cut for a ramped barrel. Some frames for sale have no ramp at all. This allows the frame ramp to be tailored for a specific caliber or cut for the ramped barrel.

Thanks Chuntaro! Definitely am trying to avoid any confusion on the terms. So then if I were to set up the 2 piece ramp I would specify to the company that I would need the frame to be ramped for a 9mm frame ramp? (as opposed to being cut for a ramped barrel)

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Govt Colt 38 super has a regular barrel (ramp in frame) and my Wilson 9 mm has a ramped barrel. Both have had zero issues feeding, firing, or ejecting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts