1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems like a dumb question to post on this board, but I had several customized 1911's by some very famous gunsmiths that were not nearly as reliable as any of my Glocks.

When I shoot with my buddies they also seem to have a lot of malfunctions, it gives my an uneasy feeling especially being in Law Enforcement.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, believe it or not, Glocks do jam. I see it all the time at IPSC matches. Invariably, the problems are traced to cheap magazines and reloaded ammo that ain't up to snuff. Hmmmmm, that sounds like most of the 1911 problems that I hear about on THIS forum........ If your guns have been to big name smiths and still won't run, let them know. If they are good ones, they will fix them, period.

Rich

·
Banned
982 Posts
While I have been ragging on Larry for a few days, there is a reason his people use 1911s.

They have Beretta, Sigs in several flavors, and Glocks in inventory.

Their primary handgun is a 1911. If it was not reliable they wouldn't be using it.

I expect my guns, personal and from my bench to run 1000 rounds at least, no malfs and no cleaning. I prefer they go 1500 to 2000.

Good ammo and good mags are a given.

BTW I see a extra ordinary number of Glocks malf in classes during the first couple of hours, limp wrists and secound round feeds seem to be the biggest problems. IMO these days you are more likely to see a Glock malf on line than a Kimber. YMMV

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a box stock Norinco 1911 that's gone through about 1K of factory hardball ammo without a single stoppage (knock wood).

·
Registered
143 Posts
StreetSurvival,

Last time I qualified w/ my Colt Combat Commander there was another officer from a neighboring department qualifying w/ a Glock 22. "O" malfunction from the Colt (Shooting 230 grain Hydra-Shocks) and "5" malfunctions for the Glock shooting .40 ball.

And my Colt isn't anything special.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I can only say that I have several custom 1911's that have gone more than 5000 rounds without a hiccup. I just keep them clean and do routine stuff like new recoil spring every 2000 rounds. On flip side, I have a few glocks that have never had any special work and they run every time.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
What gunsmiths? If they hear about it and are still living, I bet you'll be gettin' offers to return them...In fact, I bet you'd have had that offer long before this, if they'd heard about it...

...People don't get "famous" in ANYTHING by bein' half-assed at their job...

Come on...out with the names...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
On the occasions I choose to shoot a match with my G19, I chamber-check all the rounds with the dismounted barrel. I always have a couple rounds that I have to cull out as they won't chamber completely (If I don't catch them, they cause failures to go fully into battery and wedge so tightly in the chamber that quick clearance is a problem). I don't bother chamber-checking the same ammo for my P-35. It never chokes.

Ditto for .45 ACP Glocks vs. 1911's.

I think that the Glock's reputation for reliability is based on using only good factory ammo and (I'll go out on a limb here) said reputation was built on their 9mm pistols. Their .40's and .45's are noticeably less reliable than their 9mm's.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 03-01-2001).]

·
Registered
219 Posts
Generalizations are always tough. I won't comment on "1911's" as a pack, or, for that matter, "Glocks". I have owned examples of both that made me want to go to the SHOT show just to park it in someone's as$. Here is my specific recent experience:

Dane's 1911 .45: Straight out of the box, 1,000 rounds Speer, 100-200 rounds of mixed HP [CorBon, HydraShock, Golden Saber], Wilson 8 and 10 round mags, without cleaning = no failures.

G17: 500 rounds 124gr Nato, 1 jam, and a mag that ???'d and had to be pried out of the gun. Glock NDF mag. First time I have ever had this happen, re-inserted the mag without any further problems. I blame myself for the mag problem, because I couldn't find a reason to blame the gun.

G20: 300-350 rounds ball, no problems, 100 or so rounds of mixed HP [CorBon and HL's], no problems.

What most impressed me about Dane's pistol was not that it did not jam, I didn't expect any, but the accuracy of the pistol compared to the others. Not one to measure groups with a pistola, but the 1911 is clearly superior to the others, at least in my hands. Especially true in rapid fire, and weak hand stuff.

I am anxious to go push Dane's 9x23 through the same stuff, but weather and time have not permitted it. In the limited rounds I have fired from it [couple hundred] it seems to be more accurate than the .45, which is really amazing.

This post is getting long, sorry, but I want to take this post a little further and tell why I like dealing with shops like Dane's. I fought some hellish problems with 2 Kimber hi-cap .45's. Every problem I called the factory with was one that "we have never had a complaint about that"...even though a buddy with the same guns was having the same problems, and calling Kimber at the same damned time. MY experience with them did nothing but piss me off. I have owned other Kimbers that worked fine. On Glocks, had a G22 that gave me fits, that was also frustrating dealing with the factory rep on...to the point that I dumped both Kimbers and the 22 as I won't own a gun that I don't have confidence in.

In dealing with a 1 man shop yes, your gun will take a little longer to get, and likely cost you more. BUT, whoever this 1 guy is stakes his reputation on that gun...and if he has half a brain he understands this. If the gun doesn't work word gets around and then the 'smith doesn't work. Questions get answered, not dodged. That is why I so highly recommend Dane on the 1911, and Kurt Wickmann on the Browning HP's, no bullsh*t, no dodging, just product that makes you forget what you paid for it. To their credit, I have also had contact with Heinie's shop and Vickers, and the response to my questions was immediate and precise. If I continue sucking air, one day I will own guns they have built.

Whew, now I am done.

·
Registered
219 Posts
After reading my post, it comes off as being a bit harsh with regards to Kimber. Let me be more specific.

The .45 Polymer hi-cap pistols I had both had jamming problems. The dealer played with them, and they worked for a while. A 'smith worked on one, worked for a while. Then, some feed problems with the mags. Rather than chase the problems, I sold the guns. Mag cost was significant, and there was a period where my dealer could not get them factory direct.

This, however, is not representative of my experience with Kimber pistols. I own 3 Kimbers now, Classic, Gold Combat, and Ultra Elite, and enjoy shooting them. All have been reliable, with few stoppages. All have been worth what I paid for them. In the future, they will make a trip to Dane's shop for some touches here and there, and for installation of Heinie sights.

So, I like Kimber pistols and recommend them to friends looking for that type of pistol. The polymer hi-caps...I loved the idea
Hopefully, they are now working like charms.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your positive insights into the Colt 1911, it is much appreciated.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
It seems to me that when most people talk about how great the Glocks function, they are referring ones using factory Glock magazines and factory ball ammo. When referring to a 1911, it could be who knows what magazine and more than likely someones reloads. This is not quite an apples to apples comparison. Ever used a USA magazine in a Glock? Instant jam-a-matic. How about reloads, wait a minute, the factory does not recommend that.

What I am saying is you need to do comparisons of the same entities, factory mags, factory ammo, and a reputable pistol. When you do that a 1911 will just flat out shoot any Glock I have ever seen.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,390 Posts
My M1911A1 is demonstrably more reliable than the Glocks I have seen on the range. If it wasn't, I might have a Glock, instead. There really seems to be a certain "reluctant enthusiasm" for the 1911, among people who think the guns aren't reliable, durable, safe, etc. If yours isn't those things, then get it fixed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You people are killing me. All glock models are very good pistols. A top 1911 can out perform a glock no question.
SteetSurvival you are right it is a dumb question.

·
Banned
982 Posts
I think Rosco is spot on with his caliber specific comments on the Glock. From what I have seen, no question the 9mm is the one Glock to own and a Glock 17 at that.

Great ideas aren't always great when you forget what the idea was to start with.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
The only Glock I have is a G17. And like I said, if you do not use factory mags in it, it is a jam-a-matic.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Banned
982 Posts
John, buddy? Tell it isn't so
You actually thought a Glock would run with anything but a factory mag

That is like JMBrowning still being alive and producing his own mags and buying USA brand for his 1911

You deserve a jamomatic

·
2,975 Posts
Originally posted by Dane Burns:
I think Rosco is spot on with his caliber specific comments on the Glock. From what I have seen, no question the 9mm is the one Glock to own and a Glock 17 at that.

Great ideas aren't always great when you forget what the idea was to start with.
I agree 100%. 17 is the Glock to have. 17s normally feed and function BUT I always shoot them to the left. I can't say I have been impressed with the reliability of the other caliber Glock pistols.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Post this on Glock talk and I'm sure you will get totally different replies. Funny someone made the comparrision to a Kimber, because the folks that introduced me to the 1911 are Kimber guys. They usually have a malfunction or two at the range when we go shoot together. I rarely have malfunctions with my G-20. The malfunctions I've had where due to reloads that were to long to chamber correctly. But the thing about the glock is I can drop it in the sand, mud, water, etc. and it will work (as long as the barrel isn't blocked). I have a hard time thinking a 1911 will be able to withstand the same punishment and still be reliable without a thoughrough (sp?) cleaning. The glock is based on keeping it simple, with less moving parts there is less to go wrong with it. And yes I do have a 1911, and I love it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts