1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered up a Wilson Combat 25CO Two Piece Guide Rod for my Para P-13 which is being fitted to a 9mm Officers slide and barrel. When I called Wilson Combat, they recommended using a Wolff 18# spring (The 25OC ships with a 20# spring). Brownell's was out when I passed through Iowa and Wolff was out of stock. Any reason I can't cut off one of the Government 18# springs I have to the Officer's length? My Para P-13 is only going to be a range plinking toy, not for CC.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think you can with a conventional spring, but not a variable. I'm not an expert so wait until someone else responds. It's just a spring so you could always just try it.

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
The answer can get complicated, It is true that if you cut the GM spring so it doesn't stack at the Officers full recoil compressed length of .700", and it will provide the same weight as before being cut, but...here's the problem, it will be weak when in battery and closing to battery may be a problem. You would be way better off going to the flat wire spring for a recoil spring replacement.

LOG

·
Registered
421 Posts
Trying it won’t hurt anything. And you’ll know with one magazine if it’s ok or not. It’s just a spring. Worst case you’ll either have failure to feed or, on the other extreme, rocketing slide speed sending brass to the next county.

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
A shorter answer. NO! Use Some common sense, GM top, Officers bottom, count coils and note how long the cut spring would be by comparison.

LOG

Reactions: cavelamb

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
The wire gauge and number of coils will affect the spring tension. The Officers Model spring will have thicker wire gauge to contribute to a shorter spring providing proper tension.

Reactions: sawman556

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the Wolff flat wire 18# spring is worth waiting for.
I can use the 20# spring for building and swap it out when I go to the range.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
What Log Man said.

We had a customer trade in a Colt defender some time back who claimed his Dad did a trigger job on it. We immediately gave him the obligatory super lowball trade in price on it as any time someone claims something to this effect....we have problems with it. Sure enough it was plagued with problems. The most glaring issue was the cut down govt spring. Everything was fixable with a little fitting and a new spring.......the right spring.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted Wolff and requested the part number for the 18# Officer length flat wire spring.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Clipping coils is not a substitute for the correct spring. That said, I have clipped a few. Coil bind/spring bind has to be avoided. Clipping coils will affect preload (pressure keeping the breech closed). It will also affect spring rate. Can work in a pinch. It can lead to misery too. I can’t recall doing it with a progressive rate spring. Flat wire springs sound like the cat’s meow. Thank you Log for the recent tip on sourcing Glock flat wire springs.

·
Premium Member
14,582 Posts
Coil springs that can have a lot of coils close together can last a very long time, versus springs whose coils are placed further apart so that they can have both length and full compressed minimum length. This is why of the three OACP, Commander, and Gm, the GM last the longest, and the OACP the least. Flat wire springs can have more coils for the same full compressed space therefore are much more forgiving.

LOG

·
Registered
24,180 Posts
"Clipping coils is not a substitute for the correct spring."

I do not think that anyone would try to argue that a modified substitute part is as good as the correct part.
That is why I qualified my initial statement as being "The short answer".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts