1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ashamed that I don't know this stuff, but I am totally clueless when it comes to ammunition. I have been shooting 230 gr FMJ at the range. I bought a box of Golden Sabre 185 gr +P to test as defense ammo, but haven't fired it yet. So here are the questions:

1. What does grain mean? Is it the weight of the bullet?
2. What is +P? Does that mean it has more gunpowder?

What would be the difference between the 185 gr +P Golden Saber and the 230 gr Golden Sabre?

Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
A grain is a measure of weight. 7000 grains = 1 pound. +p denotes a round that has been loaded to produce higher pressure than the standard round. If you like metric then 15.4 grains = 1 gram.

+p indicates a round that has been loaded to produce a higher bullet velocity than the standard round.

·
Registered
210 Posts
McNutt said:
1. What does grain mean? Is it the weight of the bullet?
2. What is +P? Does that mean it has more gunpowder?

What would be the difference between the 185 gr +P Golden Saber and the 230 gr Golden Sabre?
Yes, grains are the unit of bullet weight. There are 7000 grains to a pound, or 437.5 to an ounce.

"+P" is a designation for rounds loaded to a higher chamber pressure than normal for the caliber. SAAMI is the industry group that maintains standards for pressures in factory ammo. There are a few calibers (9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP) where they have both a regular and a "+P" classification.

In your example, the 230gr Golden Sabre would be loaded to "normal" SAAMI spec and the 185gr +P would be loaded to the higher pressure spec. Both due to the higher pressure and lower bullet weight, the 185gr +P will produce higher velocities out of the same gun (but probably at the expense of increased recoil).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Mark S. is too quick for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts