1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My S.A. Loaded is smooth and dependable. Well, I did have a malf today, and I haven't seen this before. When the gun jammed, I noticed that the empty case was still being held by the extractor against the breech face. I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine, and tried to pull the shell out (vertically). No go. It finally ejected after I cycled the slide several times. This happened about midway through 150 rounds. The extractor and channel were cleaned after the last range session last week, and I haven't had any other extraction-related problems before. Any chance it could be ammo-related (magtech 230gr. FMC)? Thanks for your input.

Chuck

·
Registered
700 Posts
I do not know if I can explain it. Did the slide try to pick up a fresh round from the magazine? The only time I encountered this is when there was a very weak or squib load where the slide did not go all of the way back. The ammo could have a thick rim, but you should have had feed problems if it were that thick.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm chasing the same problem with a Kimber

My gun has an internal extractor and the same event you have described happens with me. After an extended shooting session, like a match, at some point a spent casing is trapped in the extractor and requires a considerable push to get it loose.

I found on my gun that the stock extractor was pretty loose in the extractor channel and the firing pin stop was also smaller than the slots. My theory is that the extractor was rotating in the channel just enough to catch a bullet rim at an angle and when the spent casing is extracted the ejector can't overcome the tension of the casing rim in a three way hold,the extractor claw at an angle and the breech face.

So far, a more substatial extractor (Wilson Bullet Proof) has been working. It does fit in the channel more snugly. I am going to file down an oversized firing pin stop too.

·
Registered
508 Posts
flycaster said:
Hi there. My S.A. Loaded is smooth and dependable. Well, I did have a malf today, and I haven't seen this before. When the gun jammed, I noticed that the empty case was still being held by the extractor against the breech face. I locked the slide back, dropped the magazine, and tried to pull the shell out (vertically). No go. ...

Chuck
I'm trying to imagine your problem and the only way you can lock the slide back with the round still being held at the breech face is that the ejector is already running underneath the empty shell? :scratch:

Aside from the checks given above, also check your ejector if it's loose or the tip is broken (if it's extended). Another could be an out-of-spec breech face width which allows the round to slip too far up out of reach of the ejector.

HTH. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
cra955 nailed it.
Some springers and some external extractor Kimbers have a breechface that will allow an empty to be pushed up so far, as to miss the ejector!:scratch:
The definitive cure is to mill the ejector slot deeper, wider or both, then fabricate a custom ejector.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.