1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I butcher these, and I know every gun is different, I was wondering if there are any tips or areas that in your experience you have found to create the best most flush fit (with the back strap)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Craig Spegel usually sends an instruction sheet along with the grips detailing how to fit them using a rat tail file and/or an exacto knife. Might want to touch base with him...

http://www.craigspegel.com/

·
Registered
695 Posts
Call Craig Spegel and I'm sure he would talk with you. He is very personable on the phone, an excellent person.

I have fitted several pairs. The most important thing is to go very slowly and carefully. A small round file, such as a 5/32 or 3/16 inch chainsaw file is what I use. I put the grips in the frame and see where the hole of the grip is in relation to the screw hole for the frame. In my experience, just a couple of swipes of the file in the posterior aspect of the grip hole removes a few hundredths of an inch of material, allowing the grip screw to then be inserted easily and to securely hold the grip in place.

Like I said---go very slowly and carefully. I'm sure you'll like the grips once you have them properly fitted.

Rob

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you filing? I reached a point where that long flat edge (closest to mag release) is filed down and won't nudge the hole over the screw hole any closer because of where it touches on that little ledge on the butt of the grip (near where a lanyard stud would be) and the little edge up by the safety, but I can't seem to make any headway on filing those small ledges.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Where are you filing? I'm filing only the posterior aspect of the screw hole of the grip.

The 3 or 4 pairs of grips that I have installed have all fit perfectly except the screw hole was just a little too far toward the front of the frame--less than 1/16 of an inch. All that I have needed to do was extend the screw hole of the grip just a little bit toward the rear of the pistol, thus allowing the grip screw to pass freely into the screw hole of the frame. As I mentioned previously, I used a small round file, such as a 5/32 inch file. You can also use a small round hobby file.

I believe that Mr. Spegel makes his grips this way purposely. The plan then is that if the screw holes don't line up, then minimal adjustment is needed. Either way the grip should fit quite well into the frame--at least mine have. If yours doesn't, then I'm sure that Mr. Spegel can help you.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts