1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just going to send a PM to Descartian who seems to know more about STI guns than anyone on the forum, but thought maybe others could benefit from the response. So...

I am large framed and have big hands. I have been eyeing the new Stacatto C2. I like pistols with grips that are large and thought.... can I order a C2 and then put a P grip frame on it so the grip handle is longer? Both are double stack guns and it seems on the surface that it would be possible? Kind of a Colt combat commander gun.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yes you can. You can swap out grips on any of the double stack guns. Once you have done it a couple times and you are proficient with taking down a 1911 it will take 5 minutes or so.

Now on the new Staccato 2011 single stacks you can not swap out the grips without voiding the warranty. I believe they use an adhesive to set that grip.

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Excerpt from STI's warranty:
"This limited warranty is void if any of the following occur.

1) The pistol has been misused or damaged by the user or accident.

2) The pistol has not been properly maintained as described in the product manual.

3) The pistol grip has been modified, changed, or removed/replaced by anyone other than an STI Factory Certified Gunsmith. Use of a metal grip expressly voids the warranty.

4) The pistol has been altered or modified in any way including cosmetic alterations.

5) The pistol has been used for the firing of remanufactured, reloaded, or hand loaded ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition)."

I would say from reading that that changing grips would void the warranty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since I was considering the same, how do we go about finding someone authorized by STI to make the swap? I’m in Ft Knox KY and tried to google it to no luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Probably best to talk to STI. I don't know what an "STI Factory Certified Gunsmith" is or if there is even such a thing. They will probably want you to return it to the factory, or they may just mean it is for the Gen 2 grips. I would get STI to clarify it for you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Probably best to talk to STI. I don't know what an "STI Factory Certified Gunsmith" is or if there is even such a thing. They will probably want you to return it to the factory, or they may just mean it is for the Gen 2 grips. I would get STI to clarify it for you.

Just messaged Buck, will let you guys know what he says

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you adain. I am holding my order for two new pistols until I hear back. With their custom shop closed I am not sure how that will work. Wonder if I could order the C2 with the P grip to start?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thank you adain. I am holding my order for two new pistols until I hear back. With their custom shop closed I am not sure how that will work. Wonder if I could order the C2 with the P grip to start?

Buck told me to call Ricky in the warranty department next week about it. I’ll follow up again after I speak with him

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wait, so I could've gotten the C2 grip eventually and installed it on my P?
I didn't have to buy a whole new C2 gun?

lol

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Changing grips on an STI 2011....

As long as the owner of an STI 2011 keeps the original grips and doesn't modify them, should they decide to use a different STI 2011 grip, I seriously doubt there is any way STI techs would know if someone returned their gun for a warranty issue if they put the original grip back on the gun...…

I have a shooting buddy that slightly modified the grip on his STI 2011 Guardian...… The slide cracked at the front lower area of the ejection port on the right side of the slide..... I spoke with him the other day, and STI is sending him a brand new STI 2011 Guardian gun......IMHO, that is excellent customer service! :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an email from Buck yesterday that said I could get the C2 from the factory with the "P" grip on it. I filled out the order form last night as he directed and mailed it this morning on my way to work.

It should be a great off duty carry gun.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Correction on my post #13....

STI did not send my shooting buddy a new STI 2011 Guardian gun since they no longer make them....they sent him their new STI 2011 Staccato C-2 9mm which is similar in size, to replace his older STI Guardian with the cracked slide. He was told it was the 4th one made off the assembly line.....

We have since test fired the gun, and two out of his original 4 mags had issues, but otherwise the gun shot great....I later tweaked the mags, and since then he shot his pistol in the Compact Carry division at a local IDPA match, and the gun worked great with all magazines. :rock:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Excerpt from STI's warranty:
"This limited warranty is void if any of the following occur.

1) The pistol has been misused or damaged by the user or accident.

2) The pistol has not been properly maintained as described in the product manual.

3) The pistol grip has been modified, changed, or removed/replaced by anyone other than an STI Factory Certified Gunsmith. Use of a metal grip expressly voids the warranty.

4) The pistol has been altered or modified in any way including cosmetic alterations.

5) The pistol has been used for the firing of remanufactured, reloaded, or hand loaded ammunition (excluding Open guns manufactured specifically for major power factor ammunition)."

I would say from reading that that changing grips would void the warranty.
I never noticed that, but have to agree. Also, from threads I have seen, swapping grips is more than a 5 minute task.

If I ever reach the point I just have to change the grips, I guess I'll just have to drive the 15 miles to the factory. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought a Staccato C last year and it is one of my best shooting guns. I recently watched a video from Shot Show 2020 which detailed the new Staccato offerings.

My question about grips is whether the C2 double stack grip can installed in place of the single stack grip on the C? And adding a new trigger would double the rounds.

Feasible?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My question about grips is whether the C2 double stack grip can installed in place of the single stack grip on the C? And adding a new trigger would double the rounds.

Feasible?
I'm not sure but it doesn't look like the single stack grips have the same front screw/mount as the double's, but I haven't seen one in person.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts