1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

How would this S&W compare to a SA TRP or Kimber SIS Custom for example in reliability, accuracy, customer service, trigger pull and overall quality? If you haven't compared, can I get your impressions of just the 178011 then? I've narrowed my choices to these three full size 1911s. I can get the S&W for $1,100, TRP for $1250 and SIS for $1,179.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my opinion from owning and handling all of these models, The Kimber has quality control problems as of late and there frames are cast I would cut the Kimber out. The TRP has very good fit and finish, but the S&W fit and finish is excellent if not perfect. Both the Springfield and S&W have the same durability both built very well. The TRP Springfield frames are made in the US unlike there lesser models, where all the S&W models are made in the US. Both are forged as well, the only draw back for the Springfield that I have experienced it is more sensitive to the magazines used. Where the S&W you can use pretty much any brand of magazine you want. I sold my two Springfields do to problems, bought and sold years apart. Then after being asked by my father to sell my Colt 1991 to him years after selling my Springfields, I decided to do so. With that money combined with what I already saved up and much research I decided to buy a S&W 1911 108284. Do not get me wrong the Colt was an excellent gun but I wanted more and the 108284 was it, fit, finish, liability, accuracy great gun. I would never trade/sell this gun for anything. I like the 108284 so much I decide to buy the 108287 the DK model just recently. Between those three you decided on I would get the S&W Pro.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my opinion from owning and handling all of these models, The Kimber has quality control problems as of late and there frames are cast I would cut the Kimber out. The TRP has very good fit and finish, but the S&W fit and finish is excellent if not perfect. Both the Springfield and S&W have the same durability both built very well. The TRP Springfield frames are made in the US unlike there lesser models, where all the S&W models are made in the US. Both are forged as well, the only draw back for the Springfield that I have experienced it is more sensitive to the magazines used. Where the S&W you can use pretty much any brand of magazine you want. I sold my two Springfields do to problems, bought and sold years apart. Then after being asked by my father to sell my Colt 1991 to him years after selling my Springfields, I decided to do so. With that money combined with what I already saved up and much research I decided to buy a S&W 1911 108284. Do not get me wrong the Colt was an excellent gun but I wanted more and the 108284 was it, fit, finish, liability, accuracy great gun. I would never trade/sell this gun for anything. I like the 108284 so much I decide to buy the 108287 the DK model just recently. Between those three you decided on I would get the S&W Pro.
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion, but I'm still torn between the TRP and the Pro. There is so much documentation out there about how outstanding the SA TRP is and very little written up on the S&W. I think it would be easier for an experienced 1911 guy to decide. I think you are right about the Kimber, even though the SIS is one of their best. I don't want to ever deal with their CS and I don't like the 1yr warranty. I good gun mfr. should stand behind there product longer than a year. If I was to go for a 3" though, I would still consider the Kimber. Anyone else??

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I own two Colts,two S&W1911s;and two Kimbers,SIS and RCPII(both 3").
Really like them all(keepers);but,the S&Ws are my personal favorites.(108285 and Gunsite).

For 3" the Kimbers and Colt Defender or New Agent would be my choices. I love the shorties.

When I tell people how much I like my PF-9,Kel-Tec they usually disregard my opinions anyway. :biglaugh:

Never owned,shot,nor handled a Springer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts