1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Colts from my personal collection for sale right now on Gunbroker. I keep getting questions from prospective buyers in California if I will sell to them. I am not an FFL dealer, just a C&R collector from Missouri making a few private firearm sales to fund other firearm purchases. I will only ship to a licensed FFL or C&R in whatever state the potential buyer is from. If I sell to a CA resident and ship to Cali FFL, am I breaking any CA imposed state laws that would put me in a bind? Please help...jail and fines are not in future plans. I know nothing about firearms sales in California other than it is likely much stricter than in Missouri.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.............

However as a private seller it is no different (for the most part) selling to California than any other state. You don't need to go through CA-DOJ like an FFL does. Before I moved here I sold a few guns to California from Texas.

If people are trying to buy something off you, they probably know how to get their hands on it. There are ways around most of California's stupid laws. SSE gets around the roster and rebuild kits lets you ship hi-cap mags. Not all California FFLs know this stuff and are willing to do it, so I would make sure that your buyer has everything lined up on his end just to be safe. ARs/"Assault Weapons" I'm not too hip on, but you specifically mentioned Colt pistols and I've SSE'd a few 1911s now.

Nothing is worse than when I finally see something I want on GB and its a private seller but then they have a "No California Sales" line in the ad. I think most just assume the worst.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can get better info on calguns.net. if your pistol is off roster in cali but your ffl is willing to ship to CA then the buyer in CA needs to find an FFL who will convert the gun to single shot for the transfer. So it is more work for the buyer to find his FFL. All you need to find as an FFL that will ship to CA. The buyer can also find an FFL that will accept firearms from a private seller like you, in this case you can ship directly to his FFL. Again, his FFL must do what we call an SSE if its an off-roster handfun. Now if any of your colts are 38 super...let me know..haha

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can get better info on calguns.net. if your pistol is off roster in cali but your ffl is willing to ship to CA then the buyer in CA needs to find an FFL who will convert the gun to single shot for the transfer. So it is more work for the buyer to find his FFL. All you need to find as an FFL that will ship to CA. The buyer can also find an FFL that will accept firearms from a private seller like you, in this case you can ship directly to his FFL. Again, his FFL must do what we call an SSE if its an off-roster handfun. Now if any of your colts are 38 super...let me know..haha
Haha, yeah forgot to ask what he's selling.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If I were selling to a buyer say in Kansas (or any other normal state), all I would have to do is receive a copy of the FFL license (or C&R in the case of the 1941 Colt M1911a1) and I could personally ship the gun and enclose a copy of my driver's license or my C&R and all would be good. It's sounds like that is not the case for CA. From the response above, I would have to find a Missouri FFL that would ship to a CA FFL that would accept the guns? Is that correct? That's too much trouble and additional fees. Both the guns I am selling are pretty valuable and I do not want any issues especially for firearms such as these.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375426929

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375602497

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yeah, tell the CA DOJ "Some guy on the Internet said it was OK!" maybe they will let you be Cellmates!

If I was interested in selling into California I would contact the CA DOJ and get a written answer.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have a couple of Colts from my personal collection for sale right now on Gunbroker. I keep getting questions from prospective buyers in California if I will sell to them. I am not an FFL dealer, just a C&R collector from Missouri making a few private firearm sales to fund other firearm purchases. I will only ship to a licensed FFL or C&R in whatever state the potential buyer is from. If I sell to a CA resident and ship to Cali FFL, am I breaking any CA imposed state laws that would put me in a bind? Please help...jail and fines are not in future plans. I know nothing about firearms sales in California other than it is likely much stricter than in Missouri.
For a C&R, there there aren't as many restrictions...the buyer has to work with a FFL that is willing to receive and do C&R transfers. On that note, some California FFLs will only receive firearms that are shipped from another FFL, so you'll need to confirm that with the buyer and FFL he chooses. I work with a local FFL who has helped me with a couple of C&R pre-70 Series pistol purchases and transfers from out of state last year.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've sold some pretty expensive guns to CA residents and have had major problems. One botched deal cost us $300 plus dollars in shipping! One wonderful dealer decided he wouldn't except the gun because I was a c&r holder and sent the gun back. He used the same ripped open box and spent about 20 seconds securing it with scotch tape, lucky the $5500 pistol didn't fall out.
The best and only way IMO is find a local ffl dealer who is approved by the ca doj and have them ship it to another ffl dealer in Ca. The recipient will also have to pay sales tax on the guns if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah, tell the CA DOJ "Some guy on the Internet said it was OK!" maybe they will let you be Cellmates!

If I was interested in selling into California I would contact the CA DOJ and get a written answer.
CA-DOJ has a bunch of incompetent fools answering the phone. You could literally contact 3 different people and get 3 different answers.

The best thing to do would be to contact whichever FFL in California is going to receive the gun and see what they have to say.

As a private individual shipping to an FFL in CA really isn't any different than usual. If you are an FFL is where the difference comes in.

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2

See #2

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Enough said. I will not ship to Cali. Way too much risk and red tape involved.

Thanks guys for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Sold a 1911 to an individual in California. Did all coordination through the FFL. FFL was very helpful and provided documentation I needed to protect me. Be sure to verify FFL.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I am in Oregon, I drive 4 miles to my FFL( he is registered to transfer to CA ) hand him the gun. OR FFL contacts CA FFL verifies info. Calls buyer and charges $15 transfer fee on this end and actual shipping charges..

and I'm home counting the money from the sale.. or shooting my new gun..:rock:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Biggest hurdle is will the CA FFL accept from a PP? If so, then just ship it to the CA FFL... Why all the drama? SSE is the answer

SSE is pricey but that is on the buyer

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please tell me you at least read the link I provided.
I did and appreciate the information. It's risky enough with all the different situations and buyers that a seller has to deal with on Gunbroker. Sometimes this is the same from the buyers standpoint.

Because I am only a C&R collector and not a FFL, reducing risk is worth more than possibly getting a few additional California offers (if I get any at all) and prefer to avoid another level of complexity or complications when shipping firearms. I try to reduce this by honest descriptions and very detailed photos, but online deals have their pitfalls.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Here goes.

Most of you know I've been a LEO here in SoCal for 33 years, I am also a LEO Firearms Dealer in California and have had an FFL here for almost 30 years.

California leaves it up to the Dealer whether or not they want to accept firearms from Individuals. The only requirement is that along with the firearm sent to the Dealer, the seller provide a current copy of their State ID (drivers lic, etc..).

The FFL provides to the Seller a copy of his FFL and CFD (California Firearms Dealer) License Number.

From individual to FFL, the US Post Office can not be used.

If that individual wants to go to a local FFL and send it to California, the local FFL needs to register with the State (Online, less than 5 minutes) and log the shipping. It's simple. I've walked dozens of FFLs through it.

The Individual does not need to "check" the Handgun Roster because it's the California FFL's duty to deal with it when it's here. Whether it's on the list or not is not a concern, They're are many exemptions to that and a Individual who can legally posses the firearm is easy to find.

So in the end.

Make your sale after you check with the actual FFL and he tells you he will accept the firearm.

If you have any questions, PM me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i thought C&R handguns are roster exempt...
otherwise if the buyer is savvy enough to go through a FFL who is willing to do SSE, its not on you anyway.

·
Registered
744 Posts
California facts

Any firearm that is c&r is ok to ship into California. Also the sse for newer firearms that the buyer has to pay for.. but not all FFL will do Sse... ..I live in California and at times its frustrating when people don't look into the facts..and assume its to much of a risk to ship. To California. . California has a bad rap with fireamrs and people are worried that some how there gonna get fined or go to jail.....if the gun doesn't apply the FFL will ship the gun back to the original owner..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts