1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr Moderator, please delete this post and send a squad of thread ninjas to my home if this question has already been asked. (Make my day)

I have a whole pack of these buffs just sitting in the parts bin. They don't really appear to fit all that well with my USGI-style guide rod thingy. The hole in the buff is too small.

Should I attempt to fit it or just leave it out? My frame isn't really showing any signs of battering but the parkerizing is indicating some minor wear. What say you all?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi Harry,,, I say let it wear,,, looks good. I'm going thru drills trying to get a Wilson runnin' right without the buff. Good luck either way!

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Havoc, that was quick! Geez, rust never sleeps and neither do you.

Man, these Vance lead bullets and W231 are the NASTIEST combination I've shot in a long time. The crud just cakes on. I had her gleamin' this morning, shot fifty, and am in the process of cleaning it again. Good thing this is a rewarding hobby!

Anyhoo, when I spotted the wear pattern in my frame just now I grabbed my Buffs and thought I'd install one since I'm getting ready to reassemble the piece. When I found that it didn't fit and didn't see any reference to USGI-style rods in the instructions, I figured I'd post this question.

Back together she goes without the buff for now. Might consider a full length rod on down the road and I KNOW they work with them. Thanks for the advice.

Callahan

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
I use Wilson buffs in both of my G.I. Colts. I've never had any of the problems that others have complained of. Service life with full-power loads seems to be ~2000 rounds.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by RickB:
I use Wilson buffs in both of my G.I. Colts. I've never had any of the problems that others have complained of. Service life with full-power loads seems to be ~2000 rounds.
Do they fit your guide rod or do you size the buff? By the way, thanks for the heads up on that Tetra grease (to whomever recommended it). The stuff works great on the slide rails.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
I can vouch for only the Wilson brand; they fit the spring guide snugly. I have recently started reducing the overall dimensions to exactly that of the guide rod head, as there was some evidence that the slide was rubbing on the 'buff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts