1911Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sig Sauer Nightmare carry, Sig Sauer Nightmare carry with Light/Laser mounted,Kimber CDP 2,Ruger SR
113 Posts
Just a LE Wilson or Dillon case gauge, nothing fancy... but they catch a chewed up rim if there are burrs.
I just ordered a Wilson case gauge from MidSouth. Do you check each case if it has been reloaded? and do you check them prior to brass prep or as the beginning step to used brass prep ? I expect so. Sorry for all the simple questions, I want to get my routine down pat here for my pistol loading. I have a routine down for bottleneck rifle cases that has worked well so far but the 9mm and 45 are new to me. you and several others have been a great source of information

Thank you
Doug

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I still check them all. It does seem to be unnecessary as I rarely catch a reject. I should have mentioned that I bought the shockbottle case gauge that looks like a 100 round ammo box. So I load it and it checks all 100 and then I flip into a MTM box for storage. So it doesn't cost me any more time to gauge them than just loading the MTM boxes. On the rare occasion that I catch a reject I will use the Wilson or Dillon gauge to verify and correct.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sig Sauer Nightmare carry, Sig Sauer Nightmare carry with Light/Laser mounted,Kimber CDP 2,Ruger SR
113 Posts
I still check them all. It does seem to be unnecessary as I rarely catch a reject. I should have mentioned that I bought the shockbottle case gauge that looks like a 100 round ammo box. So I load it and it checks all 100 and then I flip into a MTM box for storage. So it doesn't cost me any more time to gauge them than just loading the MTM boxes. On the rare occasion that I catch a reject I will use the Wilson or Dillon gauge to verify and correct.

Thanks for the link, I took advantage of it to order 45acp and 9mm this morning

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Another option are the gauges from EGW.

Six and seven hole gauges 6 and 7 Hole Checkers - Case Gauges
50 round gauges 50 Hole Checkers - Case Gauges

I just noticed they have a large ogive 9mm gauge. I'm ordering that one!
Thanks BG, I went with the 100 count checkers from Dawson Precision cause I can flip them into an MTM box.

I had only been using a Lyman single ammo checker and just checked randomly or if something felt weird during the loading process. This eases my mind loading range brass. I have 1000 bulk once fired raw 9mm brass to process/load and always ongoing several hundred 45acp to work up

Do you all chamfer the INSIDE of the case mouth ever?? Just to break the inside edge?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Do you all chamfer the INSIDE of the case mouth ever?? Just to break the inside edge?
For handgun I've only done it with new brass- but if you are loading jacketed, probably not even needed then. (I did it to avoid scraping the coating off the lead)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
What large ogive bullets are you using?
I size my cast to .357

I have a RN mold that I have to seat VERY deep to get it to pass the gauge. The large ogive gauge will prevent that.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I size my cast to .357

I have a RN mold that I have to seat VERY deep to get it to pass the gauge. The large ogive gauge will prevent that.
I get it... thanks
Doug

·
Premium Member
113 Posts

Thanks for the link for the checkers, These are the bomb!!!! I checked 550 rounds of 45acp I loaded and all are #1.

Doug

21 - 30 of 30 Posts