1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chief of my department is allowing us to quailified with handguns between 9mm to 45s. Several of my buddys have quailified with 1911s. I have the department issued glock 22. I was thinking of getting a 1911 myself wanted to for a long time. But since looking at both Kimber and Sa forums here, I can not determine which one to get do to alot of negative issuses with both. My understanding both companys have a good reputation. My range is up to 1500.00 dollars and would like to get a good all around 1911 for service. Good input would be thankful.;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
While not specified, my first choice would be a Colt M1991A1 Series 80 with a Ted Yost 1* package and a stippled front strap.

2nd choice Kimber TLE

3rd Choice, Parkerized Springfield Loaded, or TRP

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would second the above, but if you just want to go stock, it is hard to beat the Kimber TLE. I have one with the external extractor and love it. Super reliable and accurate to boot. Just be sure to chunk the stock mag and get some good wilson or Novak 8 rounders and break it in thoroughly.

·
Registered
672 Posts
articop,
I'm with rhino on this one. When you stand toe-to-toe with the bad guy, having 52 rounds in your gun and on your belt (17x3 plus one in the barrel) will be a plus on your side. Not to mention the gun is dependable and looks good as well.
just my humble opinion
dj

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good on your Chief for allowing a choice, smart move to
.45 and the 1911. Colt is a fine choice, but with a little looking you can find the Wilson CQB for around $1800.00 or the 10+1 KZ-45 stainless for around $1200.00 with ambi safety and night sights. Both are reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know there is the hate kimber crowd here, but I think you should get out and shoot one before you decide.

I have a Kimber TLE II, and damn, it is one tack-driving gun. The only malfunctions I have ever had were when I had put at least 3000 rounds through it and had not replaced the recoil spring (and continued to use the crappy reloads that our agency buys). -- had a couple of failure to feeds -

Since replacing the spring (18.5 lb), it's been like butter. Smooth and sweet. I just wish that my shooting were as good as the gun is capable of.

G

·
I would use the S/A Operator, or any other Springfield custom. I know that there are many kimber/colt fans out there also, and they all are great guns. I just have a tremendous amount of knowledge in the S/A area. They are all good weapons. If you read this, I am a Chief also and I am meeting some bumps in the road from my city council, on the 1911 issue. MY DEPARTMENT WILL get them, just a matter of time. Did your department run into any snags from the elected folks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellows for your replys. My Chief will allow custom jobs as long as we dont over accerories. He did not get to much grief from the city council due to the fact, we have to get the weapons ourselves. Also as long as we can qualify by the state course that we do with the Glock 22. Myself and my department have beed fortunate to have a chief that will allow us to progress. The more problem that we encounter is the city council. That is one of the main reasons why we pay for weapons, is because city council doesnt have the funds. I even was allowed to get a AR15 as long as I paid for it myself. Thats ok because I can take it anywhere for training, if I leave etc. :p I did take a look at the STI 1911s that Rhino suggested. They are very sweet weapons. I still like to here more input on 1911s and what everelse equipment would go well with it. :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
No suggestions, but I thought I'd throw this out anyway:

Are there any requirements your sidearm has to meet? For example minimal trigger pull and/or a firing pin safety? From what I understand those arent uncommon, and I'd hate for you to drop $1200 on a Wilson and not be able to use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope he did not. All he said it to be in good working condition. He is very lenient on the weapon like I stated before. As long as we do not bring a lot a attention to it like making look like a speed weapon with all the little gadets added on to them.:) I want to say to everybody Happy New Years from a copper from Alaska:biglaugh: Looking forward to hearing from you

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Sounds like a very progressive Chief to work for. However, you did state the the Chief did not want you to over accessorize (sp). Therefore he does have some "dos and don'ts" in his mind as to what he foresees his officers carrying on duty. He or the department firearms instructor needs to put something in writing as to guidelines for department firearms which are acceptable for duty use. Even though you're using your funds, he is still resposible for what you carry on duty. It's better to know this beforehand than god-forbid an officr having to use his weapon and the department/city council/insurance carrier not supporting the officer after the fact. It may also help you decide more precisely on what type of weapon you want to purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lt. carries a Wilson CQB and our Sgt. carries a S/A Professional TRP. The Lt. is also is the fire arms Inst. He stated the same thing as the Chief. Insurence wise every things ok as long as we qual. the state course. Im trying to do the K.I.S.S method with the 1911 do to the fact it will be a learning experince with the weapon for me. Later as I learn more about 1911 ill either add to the 1911 that i have or buy another 1911 with all the extra goodies. I have talk several times to my Chief and Lt. about the 1911 because like you fellows have said I do not want to buy a 1911 that I can not use. Thank you fellows for this input and hopefully ill hear more from you :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
The elements you need on ANY law enforcement carry gun:
1. Reliability
2. A good trigger
3. Night Sights
4. Ability to add a light (grooved dust cover)

After that, at least 3 quality magazines, a good retention holster (if you work in uniform), and mag pouches.

I'm real big on training, and would suggest a quality gun from any of the sources mentioned here (I would lean slightly toward Kimber - the model LAPD SWAT chose) with no additional bells and whistles. Then, take what you save, and spend it on training and ammo.

2 shooters came to our club with new "Tactical" .45's.
A had a Wilson
B had a Kimber
A asked to see B's gun, B said it was wedged into the holster with the $1,000 he had saved! They both worked equally well.

Keep the KISS princiapl in mind. Less is More.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts