1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post in the archives about putting a P-12 slide on a P-14. Can the P-14.45 be EASILY made into to a shorter gun? Without gunsmithing? Would the gun still be reliable? Drawbacks? Many thanks. G

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The rail length of a Gov. size gun is longer than a commander or officers size by iirc.130
You can put the slide on but the slide does not travel as far back and thus comes back sooner. this can affect feeding and ejection. add a shock buff and a thicker guide rod and you may also have problems. Also the dust cover will extend beyond the scallops on the slides.
Caspian I believe has a slide in commander lenght but cut for the govt size rails, this may be a good alternative.
geo ><>

·
Registered
364 Posts
hmmmm.....although I may not know all the details exactly on what you want to do, I do know that you can do what you're asking. If I understand what you want, you would end up with is a P14.45 with a P12.45 muzzle to back length. You would have to change out all the top end parts. Barrel, barrel bushing, slide, guide rod, guide rod bushing, and recoil spring. You may also have to have the top end slightly fitted.(as is the same with most drop in parts) Although you could do the fitting yourself (if any was needed), I would recommend that a reliable smith do it.(my standard reply) Reliable? Absolutely. Drawbacks? None that I can think of.
I noticed that you highlighted EASILY. If the world were perfect, it would be easy, but to achieve the best fit, they would probably be a little fitting involved.
Hope this was helpfull.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
92 Posts
George, is PO the only one that isn't compatible with this change?

Could you put a (both Colt) Commander top on a
Govt frame and just shorten the dust cover?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by TEX'N (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hi TEX'N

The Rail in the Colt and para will be similar. If you look at the back of a guide rod for a govt length gun it extends back .130 or so. If you look at an officers or commander the back is shortened up more than half. Para may be worse than the single stack as the mags do not bring the rounds up as fast. I have seen guns that work set up like this but I would like the rounds to have the extra time/distance to pop up. "opinion"

thanks for asking
geo ><>

Ps you could shorten the rails and cut the face that the guide rests on back to commander lenght.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the all the information. It sounds like much more of a task than I can handle. Looks like I'll probably just have to buy another gun. Ain't it awful? G

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, after responding to this post yesterday, I decided to get some first hand knowledge of this modification. Chatted with my friend who's in the know. He put one together with no fitting. Test fired it (2 mags). Worked flawlessly.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts