1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first 1911; Ser.# 447xxx. It has been parkerized and although I'm new to 1911 collecting, I have learned that this era piece should have the "black" blue finish. Can taking it back to blue be accomplished, and if so, how would one go about it? Thanks much.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Evapo-Rust

I've never used it personally, but I've been told it's good for removing bluing and parkerizing. Here's a link: http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corrosion/evaporust/evapo-rust.html .

All the parkerizing I've ever seen has a slightly "abrasive" type finish, almost like a very fine grit of sandpaper. If you take the parkerizing off, it probably will result in a matt finish after removal. If you want parts of it to be shiny, then you may have to repolish.

I'd also be interested in any personal experiences with this or other products that remove parkerizing.

Hankster

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
STOP!
Put down that sandpaper and corrosive chemical and step away.

You have a 1918 gun, what is known as a "Black Army" that has been arsenal refurbished and Parkerized, probably during or after WW II. DIY methods described by Shorts and Hankster will only grind off what value remains. If you want it to look like it did originally, you are in for a serious expensive restoration by a real expert. Doug Turnbull is the best known but there is a military restorer mentioned here on the USGI forum sometimes. If you are not willing to pay their rates, you are better off leaving it like it is which at least represents actual US Army usage. And if you got the finish properly redone, you would still have to inspect all the parts and be sure that they were 1918 vintage, too; at least the external ones like hammer, trigger, grip safety, thumb safety, slide stop, and mainspring housing.

Suggest you post on the USGI forum here and see what "DSK" and other collectors say about the relative merits and costs of restoration vs military refurb.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
From what I just found, your pistol would be dated around 1918-1920 :eek: I'm pretty sure Parkerizing can be taken off, but I don't think I'd choose sandpaper to treat such a peice of history.

I'd seek a renouned profesionnal.

Congratulations on your new peice!

Alex.

·
Registered
948 Posts
flush130 said:
I recently purchased my first 1911; Ser.# 447xxx. It has been parkerized and although I'm new to 1911 collecting,
:eek: :eek:

NNNOOOOOoooo.....!!!!

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,132 Posts
The arsenal-refurbished guns are now getting collector recognition in their own right. The gun is as "correct" as it will ever be, if it is indeed a U.S. arsenal rework, and leaving it alone would be the best move.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.