1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this isn't comparable but Ive done stippling on polymer guns and even though its a completely different process one thing remains similar. After use the Stipple starts to get abit dull. Is there anyway to get it redone? I want it abit more aggressive I have some serious man hands I like a gun to leave with a piece of my DNA stuck to it after I let it go.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Stippling can be refreshed as it is merely upset metal. There is a limit to how often it can be done as the metal can be work-hardened.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I think it depends on the thickness of the front strap? I've seen some that were too thin to stipple or checker. In fact, that is one of the things I look for when evaluating a possible purchase. As another thought, if there is sufficient meat in the front strap, consider going against the previous stipple? I'm just a shooter so what do I know?
Good luck with your endeavors.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a good amount of material left. I just feel like the stippling is to modest for me I like aggressive grips and this just isn't cutting it fir me. I'm almost tempted to trade it fir a checkered enforcer

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
There's a good amount of material left. I just feel like the stippling is to modest for me I like aggressive grips and this just isn't cutting it fir me. I'm almost tempted to trade it fir a checkered enforcer
Not sure how much shooting you do or if you are a masochist at heart? <g> I had 20lpi checkering done on my most used competition gun and used a fine file to take some of the bite out. Was simply too sharp and I needed a transfusion after a few hundred rounds of practice. May have been perfect for your description?!
Trading a good gun for one with sharper checkering/stippling may not be the best option? If you are able to control the gun well with current stippling, as the old saying goes, - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Agreed with above. I have 20LPI on my Les Baer and not only does it look great but it sticks like glue. No matter how much I relax hand when shooting it's going nowhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts