1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been doing some minor work on a new friend's Colt Government and we've had good success so far with the trigger. The problem I've ran into now is that we replaced the original spur hammer with a round combat hammer and the rear Bomar sight that someone installed on this gun overhangs the rear of the slide to a point where one does not have access to the round hammer at all. My friend wants to replace this rear target sight with something more traditional and would prefer a combat type sight. The dovetail cut that was made for this Bomar is huge. I measured the bottom of the dovetail and I came up with roughly .540". Is there any drop-in sight that could be used as a replacement to this big Bomar or is this something that is gonna require welding and recutting? Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
corruptone, I'm not aware of any fixed/combat sight that has a dovetail that large. Since you have it already, and they're an excellent sight, why don't you have somone low mount the existing sight, which will move it forward and out of the way, and won't require any welding or filling?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've compared the depth of my Bomar on my STI Trojan vs this Colt and if it were to be mounted at the same depth of my Trojan, the large dovetail cut would still be there or at least I think so. Maybe I'm wrong. Here's a better picture of the gun in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
If your friend is really interested in a fixed combat sight, the other alternative to welding and recutting is to get a new slide.

That really depends on his budget as it can get expensive.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I see what you mean in this photo. The base looks non-standard, and I suspect it's been created by a machinist or smith for this gun. You might try to see if Bo-Mar will sell you just a standard BMCS base, or a better suggestion would be to get in contact with our very own Pistolwrench (Chuck Rogers), and see if he could make up a sight such as the one in another thread to fit your existing cut. www.rogersprecision.com, or (928) 775 4964. Good Luck

·
Registered
543 Posts
Pistolwrench custom fabricated this sight. He did a most excellent job. As donw said that may be a good option for you.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I believe Don is right about the Bo-Mar base being custom made. The sight cut looks like it might be an old Micro. It looks something like a Novak cut, but is of different dimensions. Having Chuck make a rear sight would be the best option.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spoke with Chuck Rogers about this and he has too big of a backlog right now to accept any new work. Does anyone have another suggestion of who might could make a sight for this pistol?

·
Registered
641 Posts
After looking at the photo it appears the the depth of the stock dovetail was not compromised just extended further to the rear or front to accomodate the older bo-mar. So I suggest you knock out the old sight and with a caliper or micrometer check to see what the depth of the dovetail is, hopefully not much more than .100 if so that is good. Next measure how for forward the front part of the dovetail is from the rear of the slide. If you get me these specs I can tell you if a Novak lo-mount or Heine could still be put in there.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Never mind after a second look it does seem that this dovetail is to far gone to accept a Novak-lomount or Heine. It does appear that a seasoned smith could make a Novak-lomount look alike that would match that dovetail cutout.
Goodluck
Chris

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
New rear sight

I decided to try this out, after seeing what a nice job Chuck did for TGR. This slide is a pre-Series '70 Commercial Model that someone years ago had cut for a Micro rear sight. Later on, someone changed it out for a Bo-Mar I used a 3/4" square piece of 12L14 barstock, ala a tip I remembered from Pete Single. It's no taller than an installed Novak, but looks that way because it's shorter, front-to-rear.

It was an interesting learning experience, as I've never made a part from scratch.

If you want to see more pics, they're at:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287895937&p=4191428366&idx=2

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
WOW! That dovetail cut is a WHOOPER!

Gentlemen, it appears to me he might have tried to cut a ‘Novak’ low mount sight cut, and touched off the back to locate with a ½" mill and forgot to subtract ½ the diameter of the mill to center, soooo, the dovetail is located a 1/4" to far rearward.

Then he fabricated a new sight base to match , crafty yes, but it still looks like crap. Dang, the bottom of the cut in down to the serrations. I have fabricated new Bomar bodies for a ‘Novak’ cut and the match-up great, but this too far rearward the that modification.

Annyway, no mater how he did it now cuz its done. I’d say fix the slide, the right welder can do it.

Tips:

The dovetail is too big to fill 100% with weld, so make a 1018 filler for the dovetail and carefully weld it in on the sides and re-cut for a standard Bomar.

Don’t use a 12L14 or 1117L leaded steel dovetail for the filler because you can’t weld leaded steel. Use mild low carbon steel for the filler.

Pre-heat the rear of the slide till if starts to turn brown, maybe about 400 degrees before welding, or the cold slide will suck the heat and harden the steel till you can’t cut it. Don’t heat it so much it will effect the bolt face area.

Good luck, Pete

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's a very cool fix, John, thank's for sharing. Stuff like this is always educational - kind of reminds me that people can do lots of stuff beyond blending, fitting, dropping-in the stuff that's sold in Brownells :)

Jared

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Precision Gunworks, nice fix ,but why not fill sight out to sides of
frame and meld, and why not put a lower front sight on and lower back sight? no flame, you can do nice metal work, just a
thought,

·
Registered
543 Posts
Very nice job. The sight picture looks awesome. The serrations look nice and sharp. I knew a good machinist could fix it up...................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts