1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was reading my manual and it mensions nothing about dry fireing? It says to lower the hammer with fingers. Does anyone know why you cannot dry fire or if you can??

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
1911's can be dry-fired from here to Kingdom Come. I have a Colt 1991A1 that I've dry-fired thousands and thousands of times through trying to learn how to perform trigger jobs, and it's none the worse for wear. There are very few center-fire pistols that I am wary about dry-firing....one is the Browning HiPower because the hammer spring is so strong, and the other is the Beretta 92 because the firing pin is 2-piece.....and the other is the CZ-52 because the firing pins are crap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always dry fired my Colts. Now I dry fire my SA. I've never had a problem dry firing a centerfire auto pistol until my Beretta 92FS Centurion. I dry fired it perhaps 200 times after running about 300 rounds through it to smooth it out. One day while driving home through a very rural area on the levee I decided to pull over and dump a few mags through it. Click. Nada. Firing pin broken. Good thing I didn't get in a bind and need it. All I shoot now are my Colt and SA .45's and two bhp's. I've never been overly impressed with the 92F series, and that's after well over 10k rounds. BTW, changing out a 92FS firing pin is a PITA compared to an M1911 or P.35.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Dry fire it as much as you want. Does it do no damage at all? Of course not; just racking the slide millions of time will wear something out eventually . . . some advocate snap-caps "just to be sure," but you'll find many more examples of people saying that it hasn't hurt their guns yet, than those saying that it has. :)

Andy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hambone said:
I've always dry fired my Colts. Now I dry fire my SA. I've never had a problem dry firing a centerfire auto pistol until my Beretta 92FS Centurion. I dry fired it perhaps 200 times after running about 300 rounds through it to smooth it out. One day while driving home through a very rural area on the levee I decided to pull over and dump a few mags through it. Click. Nada. Firing pin broken. Good thing I didn't get in a bind and need it. All I shoot now are my Colt and SA .45's and two bhp's. I've never been overly impressed with the 92F series, and that's after well over 10k rounds. BTW, changing out a 92FS firing pin is a PITA compared to an M1911 or P.35.
The old Beretta 92s, i.e. no plastic parts, were fine pistols when used with live ammo.....but hence my reservations about dry-firing them.

I'm sure many people will take exception with my P35 (HiPower) rules, but I'm just saying I don't dry-fire mine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ether, I tried to like the 92F series for some time. The design has merits (saving for accuracy which always seemed to be at least 1 inch behind my bhp's and 1 inch + behind my Colts). However, for me the firing pin issue ended my flirtation. I've never broken a firing pin in anything before.....and I used to shoot ALOT.

·
Registered
136 Posts
92fs

With a 1911 you can dryfire all you want. You wont hurt anything. As for the Beretta...the 92 defenitly is a good pistol in my opinion. None i have ever shot have had ANY type of malfunction. They breakdown easily and the finish typicly wears well. They are also a beutiful gun to look at. I foolishly traded mine, but it had the hated plastic parts on it. I put roughly 5k rounds through it and never had any problem with wear. As for dry firing the beretta, i did it to mine alot with no problems, but after reading of others experiences, i wouldnt do it.

In my opinion the 1911 is THE handgun

·
Registered
556 Posts
about dry firing pistols in general (including revolvers), does it lessen the damage to have fired rounds in the chamber/cylinder so that the firing pin has something to strike on? Ether, about the 92, which parts are plastic, I've never noticed that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, the 92F v. (whatever) debate rages. I've had three of them and did run at LEAST 10k rds between the three. All went bang almost every time (saving for the broken firing pin noted above), all functioned reliably, all were just average re accuracy. By and large, a very average, reliable 9mm that felt like a 2 x 4 in my hands. Would I be afraid if I had to defend myself with one? Nope. But would I choose a 92F over my SA loaded, Clark Combat Series 70, Belgian 60's bhp, nor even my Inglis '63 rework P.35? Absolutely not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts