1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
1911's can be dry-fired from here to Kingdom Come. I have a Colt 1991A1 that I've dry-fired thousands and thousands of times through trying to learn how to perform trigger jobs, and it's none the worse for wear. There are very few center-fire pistols that I am wary about dry-firing....one is the Browning HiPower because the hammer spring is so strong, and the other is the Beretta 92 because the firing pin is 2-piece.....and the other is the CZ-52 because the firing pins are crap.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hambone said:
I've always dry fired my Colts. Now I dry fire my SA. I've never had a problem dry firing a centerfire auto pistol until my Beretta 92FS Centurion. I dry fired it perhaps 200 times after running about 300 rounds through it to smooth it out. One day while driving home through a very rural area on the levee I decided to pull over and dump a few mags through it. Click. Nada. Firing pin broken. Good thing I didn't get in a bind and need it. All I shoot now are my Colt and SA .45's and two bhp's. I've never been overly impressed with the 92F series, and that's after well over 10k rounds. BTW, changing out a 92FS firing pin is a PITA compared to an M1911 or P.35.
The old Beretta 92s, i.e. no plastic parts, were fine pistols when used with live ammo.....but hence my reservations about dry-firing them.

I'm sure many people will take exception with my P35 (HiPower) rules, but I'm just saying I don't dry-fire mine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.