1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost finished with my new 1911 lower and I am going to be building this one into a 9mm t shoot IDPA with. I have a new Caspian 45 1911 Slide.

My question is can I use the Caspian Slide with a 9mm barrel and will it work or do I have to buy a 9mm slide. I have heard it can be done both ways.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a 9/38 slide and extractor. Do you have the right feed ramp and ejector in your frame?
I am going with a 9mm ramped barrel and I have the correct ejector. So Can I use my Caspian 45 slide or not...

Thanks

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
.45 slide for 9mm

No, you can not use a 9mm barrel in a .45 slide without modifying the slide to accommodate the 9mm barrel. It would probably cost more to modify a .45 slide then to buy a new one.

In the past, I have has some good deals on 9mm and .40 S&W Para Ordnance slides through Sarco, but at the present time, they are out of stock on every slide they carry. The last slide was a .40, and I fitted this to a W/N ramp cut STI 2011 frame. The slide came with a F/O front installed, and an adjustable Bo-Mar style rear sight, and had a black finish. I paid $155 delivered to my door. I also purchased a .40 slide a while back, and fitted a 9mm barrel. Fortunately, the .40 breech face is not that much bigger than a 9mm/.38 super breech face, and the gun works fine.....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Some questions about this, because of this video.

https://youtu.be/eE5trZ8VD-k

This person fired 100 rounds of .40'sw accidentally thru a 45 barrel, on a 45 slide, with a 45 extractor.

Of course the oversized chamber made all the casings explode, BUT ,they CYCLED, even with the 45 extractor and ejector !

9mm, 38 sup, are the same diameter at the primer end, 40 is just a teeny but bigger (close enough, I've seen two 9mm built on para 40 slides that never failed while I was present)

My questions.
((1))
couldn't you solder a slim shim in the breech block? Or something to this effect.
((2))
Has anyone ever personally tried to use a 45 slide, with a 9mm barrel, bushing, extractor, and ejector?
((3))
Would,or could ,this test cause irreversible damage to a 45 breech face.

On the sig Sauer GSG 22lr 1911 the whole breech mechanism is removable, held on with a couple pins, shame no one else has
Adopted that little trick, the slide could fire anything, with a barrel, & extractor swap.

I feel like someone on here must have tried sticking a 9mm barrel in a 45 slide, I can't see anything happening bad except damaged extractor, or MAYBE a dinged up breech face.
PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong and it's dangerous.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
All the pros and the senior members here are not going to give advice that ((1)) could harm a gun owner and ((2)) expose them to a lawsuit. Is that clear enough?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
9mm in a .45 slide....

As mentioned previously, it is most likely more difficult to alter the breech face of a .45 than to get a 9mm/.38 super slide. If it was feasible for someone to make a working 1911 9mm with a .45 slide, it would have already been done by many gunsmiths.

The SV company sells their 1911 slide with a removable breech insert for different calibers. However, it is expensive, and once again, it would just be easier and less expense to purchase a 9mm/.38 super slide to build a 1911 9mm gun.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
No, don't do it, it's unsafer, no need to waste time on silly experiments.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sarco still has some of the PO 40cal slides, but made for the LDA. They are supposed to be the same as a standard 1911, but they lack the disconnecter cut out in the slide. That shouldn't be too hard to do to the slide

There's a Rock Island 9mm slide on EBay for sale.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Sarco .40 slides....

I had purchased a Para LDA .40 slide from Sarco in the past. I purchased one that already had the front and rear sight and it was a bargain. It was a simple matter to make the disconnector relief cut on the disco rail. I fitted a Kart 5" 9mm barrel, and fitted the slide to an STI 2011 Eagle frame....fortunately it didn't require much fitting. It is accurate and reliable....!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts