1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, the owner of my local range brought in a big box of stuff: speed loaders, grips, and lots and lots of magazines. He said he found the box up in the attic, if I found anything I wanted I could keep it. Well, of all the magazines (there had to be at least 50), there was ONE 1911 mag. So I took it home, cleaned it up, and noticed on the bottom were the following markings:
19200 -
ASSY 5508694
MRF. 8R611
I'm just curious, but does anyone know of a good resource that could help me track down the manufacturer or other details?

Any help would be appreciated.
- Nugg

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Sounds like a standard issue GI mag, manufactured under a Colt License by some low bid vendor. Probably nothing "special", and hard to tell when the mag was made, could be 20 years old, could be 50.

Looks like this, except a different MFR number... this was done by Ludlow Corp. I used to have some different Vendor codes, but not sure where it went off to...

[This message has been edited by jaydee (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
The bottom line of the stamped data refers to what DoD calls a CAGE Code. In the case of your magazine, the CAGE Code 8R611 tells you that the manufacturer of your magazine was:

Kasco Metal Products
Brooklyn, NY 11200

The CAGE Code was assigned to KMP on April 08, 1979 and has been subsequently canceled. This is not unusual. Many companies made magazines for Uncle Sam and some companies only made or sold one order.

The last contract for magazines for the M1911A1 pistol system was awarded to Check-Mate Industries, Wyandanch, NY. Uncle paid a whopping $2.86 per mag for that order or just over 200,000 magazines. The contract was completed in mid-May, 1995.

The DoD maintains a website that allows a search by CAGE Code and other contractor identifiers. Check it out at:
http://www.dlis.dla.mil/CAGESearch/

Incidentally, Check-Mate Industries must make a pretty good magazine. They have previously been a prime supplier for all Colt magazines and they currently make ALL magazines for the DoD's M9 Pistol System.

Regards,

------------------
MDCalvert
Oak Ridge, TN

[This message has been edited by mdcalvert (edited 08-16-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts