1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather just passed and we were going through his WWII stuff and saw this cool picture of him (I snapped it from my cell, original is better quality). The picture was taken in 1943, and I was looking through pictures of guns in use at that time and the Luger P08 seems to be the closest to that one, however that's a German gun and he was an American soldier. I'm not a gun person though and figured I should sign up somewhere where people know a crapton more than I do. So let me know your thoughts!

Luger P08

Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Probably someone brought it back home, or he was overseas and got one. Not that uncommon they were a status symbol for USGI's over there. My grandpa had 3 of em at one time.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
It looks like a P08 to me

·
Registered
766 Posts
Clearly a Luger - the toggle link is unmistakable.

Lugers were sold in the US since their inception, so seeing one in 1943 wouldn't be unusual. There were even a very few in 45 ACP.

I would expect that at that point in the war, some had been captured.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably someone brought it back home, or he was overseas and got one. Not that uncommon they were a status symbol for USGI's over there. My grandpa had 3 of em at one time.
What do you mean status symbol? As in, "Look what I got off the Germans" ?

This is all great help. After posting I saw this picture:

and a couple youtube videos showing it being loaded that make me think it must be a P08. My grandfather was a bit of a badass in his day so him firing a (likely) captured German gun doesn't surprise me a bit. :)

Thanks everyone. That was a much faster response than I'd expected.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wolfgang...

·
Registered
617 Posts
It's great you have a wonderful photo of your grandfather as a young man having some fun.

Any axis pistol was considered a prize..Not sure what you grandfather did, but apparently he got to shoot a Luger..There are still a ton of these pistols turning up in drawers as this generation(WWII) disappears into history.

I was lucky enough to get a 1922 Browning and holster from a WWII vet..Army Air corp..He got it from some soldier in France. It has those wonderful Nazi proof marks, etc. Wish he had kept his 1911A1 that he carried on bombing runs..B-24 Waist Gunner..LOL Seemed it was stolen shortly after he returned home..

Anyway enjoy the picture and memories..WE only pass through here once...

Be safe:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's great you have a wonderful photo of your grandfather as a young man having some fun.

Any axis pistol was considered a prize..Not sure what you grandfather did, but apparently he got to shoot a Luger..There are still a ton of these pistols turning up in drawers as this generation(WWII) disappears into history.

I was lucky enough to get a 1922 Browning and holster from a WWII vet..Army Air corp..He got it from some soldier in France. It has those wonderful Nazi proof marks, etc. Wish he had kept his 1911A1 that he carried on bombing runs..B-24 Waist Gunner..LOL Seemed it was stolen shortly after he returned home..

Anyway enjoy the picture and memories..WE only pass through here once...

Awesome story. My grandfather was an engineer of some sort... Cool stories of him building bridges amidst crossfire.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Seems like I once heard that there were more Lugers than Walter P38s in service with the Wehrmacht during WWII.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
The picture must have been snapped just as he fired, catching the Luger in full recoil with the bolt all the way back. It's a very interesting pistol to own, and IMO is the most challenging modern pistol to collect. Just go to the Luger forum and read about it - it's amazing how much there is to know before even thinkng of buying one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yep, Luger P08. Just because it was a German gun doesn't mean he couldn't have held it. I have a picture of me in Iraq holding an AK-47, but I'm as American as apple pie.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
From the WW1 days all the way through the 1970's the Luger had a tremendous mystique about it, and it was a prized and highly sought-after souvenir for US soldiers in both world wars. Somehow the P.08 has lost its luster with the current generation, who seem to think that "other" European auto (the plastic one) is the cool thing to have.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I would LOVE to have a Luger. It is on my list of "must haves" and I will have one someday.
Yep I said the same thing and one of the things that helped it happen was moving to a gun friendly state where there is easy access to gun shows,

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Luger - in 45 caliber - was one of the other pistols in the line up against what would become the 1911 Colt.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you ever get a Luger..Keep in mind most don't reliably function with standard reloads and probably most target rated factory loads. I'm talking 9mm here. The 30 cals by nature seem to work fairly well. The original German 9mm was more like a +P load theses days.

My brother had a mix master Luger and it function fine with Wichester , but I never got it to work well with reloads.. It was after he traded it that I discovered the pressure issue on doing research and alot of P-08 owners after the war would even cut a coil or two off the main recoil sprinig to allow shooting USA spec 9mm reliably.

So for prospecive buyers.. Just be aware of this issue as some do have their coils cut...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts