1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm completely new to this forum and 1911's.

I searched for an Essex Arms 1911 to buy because I grew up across the street from the factory/shop in the late 70's and early 80's.

I bought one and I'd like to know as much as I can about the parts that make up the gun.

The slide is marked 7790314 on the left side and has a "TZ" on the right side. Underneath it's stamped with a "c" and also a "A" and "H". What does all that mean?? The slide also has a Wichita adjustable rear sight affixed.

The barrel is marked "45 Auto 7791193 84" It is also stamped with a "TZ 03 p" on one side and a "m" on the other.

The frame is serial number 59XXX. Any idea on the manufacture date????

The attached pictures tell the story... hopefully. The previous owner told me it was the most accurate 1911 he's fired. Not sure if that's relevant or not, but it was his opinion.

I completely disassembled the pistol yesterday. I cleaned it and looked for anything unusual. My novice eye didn't spot anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
The 799---- numbers on the slide and barrel are blueprint numbers for replacement parts procured as late as the 1980s to keep the old 1911s going until Berettas could be phased in.

The TZ stamp shows that THIS barrel and slide were made by Israeli Military Industries, Tel Aviv, Israel.

Adjustable sights are, of course, a gunsmith installation.

I know of no source of production date vs serial number for Essex frames. Maybe if you called them up they would tell you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.

Do you know what the letters on the slide and barrel indicate (other than TZ?)

I think I may have a source that could help me in finding out the manufacture date.

Jon

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Most of those scattered cryptic stamps are factory inspector's marks. As far as I know only the high end chief inspectors on USGI are definitely established.
A foreign contractor?
Not likely identifiable.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
The 799---- numbers on the slide and barrel are blueprint numbers for replacement parts procured as late as the 1980s to keep the old 1911s going until Berettas could be phased in.

The TZ stamp shows that THIS barrel and slide were made by Israeli Military Industries, Tel Aviv, Israel.

Adjustable sights are, of course, a gunsmith installation.

I know of no source of production date vs serial number for Essex frames. Maybe if you called them up they would tell you.
Right on, the marks on the underside of the slide are the inspectors proofs.

I've got one almost exactly the same, slide and bbl are IMI and should be of the forged variety while the frame itself is cast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts