1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wanted to tell all my brothers some information I have found out, espeically if your Canadian like me eh. I contacted an american company about getting an extracter and a low mount safter for my 1911, considering an extracter here would cost me 60 Canadain as compared to 11 and chnage American. Now is the time to buy eh.

Any way this american store answered my e-mail and sent me much information for me to read, about sending across the border etc, and somthing about me having to have an inport export permit etc.

So I contacted Canada Customs and asked if I needed such etc. I was asked what parts I wanted, and if it was for personal use. Well as the parts are ok and ar for personal use, Canada Customs does not require me to have an inport export licence. I just need to pay the tax at the border. I asked canada customs if I could get a letter stating that, and was informed no. go figure.

So I just finished e mailing this company what I was told, and waiting for their answer. I will everyone informed of this farce as i get the information. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Do a search on 'ITAR', International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
The US State Department has a nice site.
The US restricts firearm parts for export from the US.
There are some exceptions for some countries, but the penalties for a violation are often so severe sellers will not bother trying to play the game.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Canada Customs is correct. You don't need any of those permits to import those items as per Canadian laws. The permits they are talking about comply with U.S. laws. They have been trying to educate the public about U.S. laws enforced by U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. They can't give you a letter pertaining to laws enforced by another country. I've been informed by a Canada Border Services Agency agent that the regulations pertaining to firearms importation is "under construction" at this time. If you have any questions relating to firearms importations, contact their trade administration people or their prohibited goods officers directly. Many of their line officers are unaware of the changes to regulations because the firearms issue in Canada is a hot item right now and it takes time for information at headquarters level to filter down to the line agents.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
From what I understand a US company or individual requires an export permit if the value is over $100.00 US for any one individual part. Some states require a dealer to have a separate export permit in order to be able to send any items to Canada - this State permit DOES NOT apply to private individuals.
Canada has a few restrictions on importing firearms parts.
You cannot import any part for a AK-47 or variant into Canada without a permit
You cannot import a frame or receiver into Canada without a permit.
You cannot import live ammunition into Canada without a permit.
You cannot import a barrel under 3" in length without a permit.

There are more rules out there, but in my research, these cover all of the basics. I have followed these and have had many parts shipped from the USA to Canada without any problem.
I have made many phone calls verifying these rules - and these seem to be the consensus.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the information

Thanks guys lol, i am having so much fun with this, now this store in the states says i have to contact my forgenin exchane mimister, soI phoned my mp office, and they are looking into the matter, all i want is a extrector and a low mount thumb saftey lol

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If that is the case - just shop at another store. I have found that about 30% are capable and willing to ship to Canada.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOl

i should also state that this store in iowa, told me to find out my countires laws first if it can be shiped to canada well i did, and lol, and told them it cam, and the person i was dealing with is their internatioanl sales rep, go figure

·
Registered
520 Posts
Do the same rules applies if you cross the border, buy it, and bring it with you back to Canada? If you are in Ontario you should not be far from the border.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I know Dillon (dillonprecision.com) ships worldwide, I think they sell their presses and parts as machine parts.

Roy

·
Registered
500 Posts
Under the www.cbsa.gc.ca website, you should be able to navigate to their regulations: D19-13-2 (these are known as the Directives or D-Memorandums and outline the regulations that they enforce and how they enforce them) You can also find in Appendix G, the firearms that are deemed by council to be restricted and those that are deemed to be prohibited.

By going through a "gun broker", you can pay the broker to do all the paperwork for you. Sure it costs more but you'll save yourself the headache of not having the right "papers" when your goods reach the border because CBSA will not compensate you for your ignorance.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
From a Canadian Customs Website...

The US controls on the export of firearms extends to parts also. For small orders worth less than US$100.00 the US Department of State allows an exemption from the export licence. This exemption, however, does not cover ‘significant’ parts which includes; barrels, slides, cylinders, bolts, frames and receivers. It should be noted that there is no equivalent exemption offered by the Department of Commerce for shotgun parts. Further, there is no exemption for ammunition or ammunition components. Canadian importers should follow the procedure outlined in Q1 (above) to import parts not exempted.
http://international.gc.ca/eicb/military/faq-en.asp#4

From Numrich (E-Gun Parts) website; one of the biggest (if not the biggest) gun parts dealer)

If you are placing an order for shipment outside of the United States, please review the following information regarding foreign orders.

All orders over $100 or that contain a restricted part must be mailed to us with an import license from your government and we would license this shipment with our U.S. State Dept. There will be an additional $35 license processing fee. (Note: Canada has a $500 parts limit)

Postage for all foreign orders is based on weight and destination.

All foreign orders are subject to a minimum $5.00 export handling fee.

Due to licensing requirements, foreign orders often require more than the normal 24-48 hr processing time. Normal processing time for orders requiring licensing is between 4-6 weeks.

Certain parts are restricted for export by the United States Government. Barrels, barrel blanks, bolt assembly and cylinders, receivers, frames, bolts, and high capacity magazines-magazines over 10 rounds but below 20 may require an import license for the country of destination. Magazines 20 rounds and larger are only for military, government and police agencies and require an end user certificate. Additionally, certain models are also restricted. For a complete list of models that are restricted or that require additional licensing please click on the link below.
Restricted Models List

The United States government has restrictions in place with regards to countries to which we are unable to export. For the complete list of restricted countries, please click on the link below:
Restricted Countries List
http://www.e-gunparts.com/foreign.asp

I will say that neither part looks to be on a prohibited export list or restricted/prohibited to be imported into Canada. I would reference both of these websites and comments, keep it under $100 and go for it. If you live near a border crossing, buy it in the US, present it to the CBSA Officer with a copy of the Canadian website info and and go home...make you you have your Canadian Firearms Permit with you...that way they (CBSA) will know you legally own a firearm...

I see firearms, ammo, components, and parts pieces cross the border weekly; the commercial side is very strictly controlled - CBP only acts as the enforcement agency on behalf of the ATF, Commerce, and State for the Import/Export of these items...we enforce the laws of 47+ Government Agencies at the border, every day...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts