1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Canadian Lend-Lease PICTURES INSIDE scroll down

Hello: I found a Colt 1911-a1 s/n 933xxx that I am thinking about purchasing. The gun appears to be about 97% with all original parts including the s/n'd slide. I have been studying my big Clawson and I believe this is one of the 1500+/- that went to Canada on Lend-Lease. Ther are two C broad arrows, one near the P proof on the frame and one on the slide. This gun also has all of the British Lend-Lease proofs. Crown BNP's and srossed arrows with I 2 B. The barrel is also marked .45" .900 7tons per sq inch. The seller said the magazine is blue and matches the wear on the gun but it has no marking on the toe or anywhere on it. The seller also told me he got the gun from the person that bought it in the sixties at which time there was 50 rounds put through it and then put up for 40 years. I was hoping to get some advice on value and rarety compared to other Colts this condition and vintage. I will post three pictures but they will probaly be links. Thanks Greg

I wish I knew what I was doing wrong posting these pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Greg,

It looks just like mine. It's in the serial number range, it's correctly marked......its a 'Canuck' !!!!!!!

The last one sold, that I know of, was of JPM Jr. fame, for the sum of $5500.-
Knowing where yours is.... and how much he wants.... I would not hesitate one second. One of 1515..... very rare in any circle.

Bob

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tried again to get the pictures added by using "tiny pics.com" and the url instead of the paper clip from my computer but it is not working. I know the files are under 100kb also.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Tiny Pic

Are you using this one from tinypic?

IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards

When you copy that one, you should be able to paste it under your text here on the board. The picture attachment on this forum doesn't work for me any more, but pasting directly to the message box works.
Forgot to add, but you can use images larger than 100kb using tinypic, but around 150kb fits the forum nicely without stretching everything out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I was using the default and I am not pasting directly but I am going to try that route now.
Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the Canadian Lend-Lease. Doesn't look like it has been fired a lot but it has had some rough handling causing some scuffs in the finish and dings on the grips. I am concerned about two things on this gun (1) The ejection port on the slide looks to be somewhat irregular in shape along the left side and (2) The magazine is unmarked with a pinned floor plate that appears to be sandblastd on the bottom and at least 40% of the blue is gone which seems to be more wear than the rest of the pistol. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Magazine

(2) The magazine is unmarked with a pinned floor plate that appears to be sandblastd on the bottom and at least 40% of the blue is gone which seems to be more wear than the rest of the pistol. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
The magazine appears to be an unmarked commercial transferred to the military contract. Look at the inspection holes and the top of the lips where they roll over with a magnifying glass to see if they show signs of sandblasting. Some of the transferred magazines did not hold their blue well, and it has the appearance of flaking off more than wear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the lips do especially when putting it side by side with a Scovill. I am not sure what to look for on the inspection holes, could you explain? Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Johnny I see what you are talking about now. All of the shallow spots on the sides of the magazine still show signs of sandblasting.
Are these "unmarked commercial" the unmarked Colt WWII magazines refered to in Clawsons book or were there some USGI WWII contract mags unmarked?
Also thanks for the help posting pictures. I selected 17" screen on the first two posted here and I think that fits pretty well.

Maybe this will show the sandblasting, especially around the magazine catch notch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Scott; I was hoping this was the case. I just finished looking at all of the Colt 1911a1 pistols on the Karl Karsh CD and there were two that had similar features, s/n's 931125 and 933083. Coincidence or could there have been a problem around that time with a jig or a grinder? I would post the pictures but I think that would be a Copyright infringement. Thanks again for your opinion. Greg
The port has not been modified since it left the factory. If you look at enough examples, there will be some with slight imperfections in workmanship. That pistol was manufactured when people actually did the work. They weren't all stamped out with computerized technology like today. Looks like something wasn't locked down properly in the jig. It's a cosmetic flaw only; nothing to worry about IMO.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Magazines

There have been several variations found of the Colt commercial magazines transferred to the military contract. While this is not in any book, it appears that the commercially finished magazines were first sandblasted on the sides to remove the bright commercial blue. They were then sanded to remove the roughness left by the sandblasting, the bases were lightly sandblasted to remove the high polish finish, then the magazine was blued. The lightly sandblasted base gives the appearance of Parkerizing, but it would be a trick to blue the tube and Parkerize the base.
The sandblasting around the inspection holes, magazine catch notch, and lips where they bend over at the top seem to bear this out.

·
Registered
989 Posts
There looks like there's a wave to the FRAME, fer cryin' out loud, I wonder if that's my monitor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts