1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I have had one for 5 years, no complaints.

Good warranty, check it out, not many companies have one as good.

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
This pictures were taken in NY shortly after I got it a few years ago, I took it with me to SC when I moved and it is now in a secure place in my new home. I recommend that you buy the push button lock. IT came in handy 3 years ago when I needed to get to my guns in a hurry. I bought it because Cannon has an excellent reputation and a life time warrantee.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just inherited a Cannon safe from my dad. He had it for almost 20 years. Still working great in my home. No complaints from him or me.

·
Registered
694 Posts
why dont you just lock up the balls and powder since you wouldnt need as big of a safe and just keep the cannon in the garage?

i have only heard good things about them but i dont have any firsthand experience.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Call me paranoid if you want, . . . but there is no way I would own a safe with an electronic lock on it.

I've worked with electricity and electronics for 45+ years, . . . and if there is one thing I have learned it's this: Electrical and electronic components are blood brothers to Mr. Murphy (of Murphy's law firm), and they usually travel together.

Get a mechanical lock on your safe, . . . you can forget batteries, circuit boards, transistors, etc.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
Call me paranoid if you want, . . . but there is no way I would own a safe with an electronic lock on it.

I've worked with electricity and electronics for 45+ years, . . . and if there is one thing I have learned it's this: Electrical and electronic components are blood brothers to Mr. Murphy (of Murphy's law firm), and they usually travel together.

Get a mechanical lock on your safe, . . . you can forget batteries, circuit boards, transistors, etc.

May God bless,
Dwight
You are so wrong. The safe companies will tell you that a dial lock is easier to break into than a push button lock.

Plus if you ever need to get your guns in a hurry a dial lock just won't do it.

I you were under stress to get to you guns can you imagine what it would be like to spin the dial x number of times then go to the first number, the spin the dial x-1 number of times and go to number two and dial in 3 or 4 numbers without going past a number or making a mistake?

I told this story a few times but I guess I have to repeat it again

Back in 2007 I bought a house in TX and also owned one in NY. The plan was to spend winters in TX and summers in NY. I hated NY but living part time in two states was done to compromise with my mother. I wanted out of NY for good but she refused to leave.

I flew to my home in NY Thanksgiving of 2007 and didn't have any guns with me.

I arrived home to find someone had broken into my house and was still inside. All I had to do was punch in 6 numbers to open the safe and get to my guns but I was so nervous it took three tries to get it right.

If I had to spin a dial I am positive I would not have opened my safe to get to my guns in time to get the guy that broke in.

By the way after the break in I changed my mind about living in two states and sold both houses and moved SC.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have no illusions that all you have said is true SC, . . . and I respect your opinion, . . . to each his own.

What the safe company won't share with you is that the electronic component is undoubtedly cheaper to get, . . . install, . . . manufacture, . . . etc. And it may be true, . . . that they are truly harder to get into than a mechanical safe. But then again, . . . how much of the sales hype is true and how much is simply sales hype?

It also won't tell you that WHEN, . . . NOT IF, . . . the little electronic board fails inside, . . . you will be out the cost of the safe getting inside the thing, . . . unless you want to take a grinder and grind off the edges of the top so you can get inside.

Oh, . . . and yes, . . . it will fail. AND, . . . it will fail on a far more predictably soon pattern than the mechanical lock. All electronic gizmos are doomed to failure from the moment they are conceived, . . . some just take longer than others, . . . but they still fail.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
I have no illusions that all you have said is true SC, . . . and I respect your opinion, . . . to each his own.

What the safe company won't share with you is that the electronic component is undoubtedly cheaper to get, . . . install, . . . manufacture, . . . etc. And it may be true, . . . that they are truly harder to get into than a mechanical safe. But then again, . . . how much of the sales hype is true and how much is simply sales hype?

It also won't tell you that WHEN, . . . NOT IF, . . . the little electronic board fails inside, . . . you will be out the cost of the safe getting inside the thing, . . . unless you want to take a grinder and grind off the edges of the top so you can get inside.

Oh, . . . and yes, . . . it will fail. AND, . . . it will fail on a far more predictably soon pattern than the mechanical lock. All electronic gizmos are doomed to failure from the moment they are conceived, . . . some just take longer than others, . . . but they still fail.

May God bless,
Dwight

All the stuff you said is probably true, but what is your life worth? Also if a safe company is able to make an electronic lock that costs less to make and is more secure I have no problem with that, I call that a win-win. Many years ago TVs came with a mechanical tuners but they were replaced with what is probably a cheaper to manufacture electronic tuner. I sure as heck would not want a mechanical tuner in my TV I remember when they wore out you had to wedge something under the dial to keep them from slipping off channel.

There is a good chance I would not be alive to tell the story if I could not get inside my safe quickly and the push button lock is the thing that saved my life.

Cannon safes have a life time warrantee, I assume that the warrantee covers fixing or replacing the lock, but even if it does not the fact is I am alive to day to tell the story and that is all that matters to me

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
CONSUMERS PAY MORE BECAUSE OF POOR REPLACEMENT POLICIES!
While many policies sound complete, they often do not cover drilling a safe open or shipping the safe cross country for repairs after a Burglary, Fire or Natural Flood disaster. Services such as this can cost hundreds. Cannon Safe is the ONLY manufacturer to offer a ZERO COST – Lifetime Replacement Policy **.

NOT ALL REPLACEMENT POLICIES ARE CREATED EQUAL!
In time of disaster recovery from a Burglary, Fire or Natural Flood:
1. Who pays for a safe tech to open the safe?
2. Who pays for the safe to be repaired onsite at your home?
3. If repair is not possible in home, who will pay the freight to the factory and back?
CANNON WILL!
We believe that purchasing a safe is one of the best investments you’ll ever make and that your decision is a permanent one. A Genuine Cannon Lifetime Policy ** will provide hassle free 100% NO COST repair or replacement after a Burglary, Fire, or Natural Flood emergency.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe not the only one..............

LIBERTY'S WARRANTY

We back up every safe we sell!

* If you are unfortunate enough to experience a fire or a damaged safe from an attempted break-in, Liberty will provide you with a new safe delivered right to your home - all for FREE! No delivery charges, no hidden expenses, and a new safe to show for it.
* There is some paperwork to fill out when processing your claim, which includes completing warranty card information when you first buy your safe.

That's our guarantee. That's Liberty.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
There is a good chance I would not be alive to tell the story if I could not get inside my safe quickly and the push button lock is the thing that saved my life.
That is why I have an electronic pistol safe (with key back up) and a dial Cannon.

BTW- It took 6 years for my electronic pistol safe to fail. It was not a Cannon but I know electronics fail. Now it is just a fancy looking lock box. Even some of the best high-tech stuff money can buy fails.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
A friend of mine had the electronic lock on his safe and it finally went out. We found a much better elecronic lock to replace it with. We had to adapt it a little bit but it works great.
I prefer the dial S&G locks and I like the idea of a small handgun safe with an electronic lock.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Silver Corvette

...I am glad you survived your ordeal...but you should never come into a home that you know has weapons in it without being armed.For exactly that reason..myself I never enter my home without a weapon on me ...and I have two German Shepherds and a wife who takes care of the house( IE rarely ever leaves)...
My preference is for a dial lock...it's what I'm used to and feel better knowing that it is mechanical and not electrical...but my chevy is 20+ years old and I do all the work on it...more mechanical than electrical...preference

I plan on getting one of the cannon safes from TSC if I can get the dial...they are about half what the gunstore wants for them and the only difference is the paint...and I like black :)

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
...I am glad you survived your ordeal...but you should never come into a home that you know has weapons in it without being armed.For exactly that reason..myself I never enter my home without a weapon on me ...and I have two German Shepherds and a wife who takes care of the house( IE rarely ever leaves)...
My preference is for a dial lock...it's what I'm used to and feel better knowing that it is mechanical and not electrical...but my chevy is 20+ years old and I do all the work on it...more mechanical than electrical...preference

I plan on getting one of the cannon safes from TSC if I can get the dial...they are about half what the gunstore wants for them and the only difference is the paint...and I like black :)
I was living in two different houses, one in TX and one in NY, Each one had a safe with guns in it. I had to fly to my house in NY for Thanksgiving and didn't want to fly bring a gun on the plane with me. The one time that I did try to fly with a gun checked into my baggage the suit case lock was broken and the guns were almost stolen. I didn't like the fact that I had to drive to and from the airport and fly without a gun but that is what I did. Once I got to my house in either state I open the safe and got my gun(s) out. The problem was someone was living in my house since Saturday when I arrived Monday night and I did not have a gun to use till I opened my safe. Now when I visit NY I drive and travel with my gun(s)

·
Registered
306 Posts
wow cannon seems to be having problems

...so I will retract my statement about getting a cannon but I do stand behind my mechanical lock verses electronic...the search goes on

1 - 20 of 26 Posts