1911Forum banner

Cant believe I have to ask..

Tags
mag fit
2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  hawkeye52 
#1 ·
Once a quick answer comes, mods please delete to save my face….
I only have government pistols and am branching out to a compact carry in gods caliber. I have a pile of magazines in stock. Will they fit in the short grip and a lil bit will hang out at the range? Naturally the pistol will come with the correct size for carry.
don’t laugh!!

#2 ·
Yes full-size mags will work in compact frames although of course they will stick out.

#8 ·
OP/The fact you ask tells me that you are thinking/planning ahead. That’s like staying ahead of the airplane which is where you want to stay. Several manufacturers also make 10 round magazines. I keep one loaded in the armrest of my truck, not sure why. There is a six pack of 47Ds in the center pedestal.

#11 ·
It depends. Metal AR-10 mags made by Armalite will fit both (there is an A and B model AR-10 - I forget which is which) because they are slightly modified M-14 mags (the M-14/ M1A uses magazines that lock on the tab in the back, the AR-10 uses mags that latch in the hole on the left side).

I have some Mag pull AR-10 (SR-25) mags that fit my Armalite AR-10, and my Mossberg Patrol Rifle but I don't think they fit M-14s or M1a (actually I never tried - I need to do that).

You can modify standard M-14 mags to fit the AR-10 and they will still work in the M-14.

Hope this helps,

Riposte

#21 ·
I can say with some authority that yes, there ARE stupid questions. Usually they are asked by someone standing right next to a warning sign in bold that actually answers their question.
Water Property Plant community Plant Sky

#16 ·
Also on the .45 front, when you disassemble the pistol, you can take all the mags and slide them up into the frame to lock. That way you can check for mag play in the frame side-to-side, more importantly up and down. Go one step further and lay the barrel into place and hold it there with the slide stop pin and it will allow you to check to see how much "jump" there is on the mags to the ramp. That way if you have a feed problem it may help you eliminate some issues...just my .02...

#23 ·
I remember when Ram-Line made a clear plastic mag that was made to fit both ARs as well as Ruger Mini-14s (which rock n' lock much like an M-14). The idea was sound, but the plastic they used was thin and brittle and those mags didn't last very long, assuming they even worked in the first place.

Reactions: riposte191145
#25 ·
Yep, I have a few of those - I likely would not depend on them for hard use but, as you say, the basic idea was a good one. I do not understand why Ruger felt the need to avoid the use of M-16 mags...if it they had to be slightly modified to work with the simple mag catch ? I note they have a version of the American Ranch that does take M-16 mags (but Bill Ruger was dead by the time it came out - which may have something to do with it).

Riposte

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.