1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've been at it all day yesterday but I can't seem to find an aftermarket stainless steel extractor for aSeries 80 .45. What always comes up in my search are the blued ones. Is there any available out there. There's none in wilson and ed brown. Or is there something wrong with a stainless extractor? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
BullJack said:
Guys, I've been at it all day yesterday but I can't seem to find an aftermarket stainless steel extractor for aSeries 80 .45. What always comes up in my search are the blued ones. Is there any available out there. There's none in wilson and ed brown. Or is there something wrong with a stainless extractor? Thanks.
If you don't find one give me a call in the shop. I'll be out of the shop all day Monday and maybe Tuesday. If you call leave a number and the best time for me to call you at that number.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Thanks for the replies, guys! Inasmuch as I would really like to take you all on your offers, it may be somewhat difficult since I live in the Philippines. Again, I apologize for not metioning my place of origin since my initial intention was just to find out from you guys some inputs regarding the availability of stainless steel extractors and the brand and hopefully it's available here.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
BullJack said:
Wow! Thanks for the replies, guys! Inasmuch as I would really like to take you all on your offers, it may be somewhat difficult since I live in the Philippines. Again, I apologize for not metioning my place of origin since my initial intention was just to find out from you guys some inputs regarding the availability of stainless steel extractors and the brand and hopefully it's available here.
I've seen some pretty nice work from some of the smiths in the Philippines. If you can't find an 80 series take a 70 series extractor and have one of the smiths mill it for the 80 series parts.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
BullJack said:
FWIW, my stainless Ed Brown came with a blued steel extractor. Looks fine. Many higher end makers lean towards non-stainless steel for their extractors.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
What Leade45 said.

The pistol doesn't care and many folks, including me, think stainless makes a less capable spring than regular steel.

The $2500+ Ed Brown pistols all come with steel extractors and ejectors, regardless of slide finish. I doubt the Browns would want to risk their reputation on a crappy or soft parts.

-- Chuck

·
Administrator
73,822 Posts
I'm pretty sure Brownells (which carries stainless S80 extractors) will ship overseas.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dsk said:
I'm pretty sure Brownells (which carries stainless S80 extractors) will ship overseas.
Thanks, sir dsk. Will try to establish contact with them.

Regarding the metal used in extractors, I'm sure there's some reason behind as to why some popular manufacturers seldom use stainless steel extractors. I guess one would be metal strenght.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
An extractor is designed to work as a spring.

Only a few grades of stainless can be hardened to operate as springs very well, and those grades typically have poor corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Mac10 said:
If you check my post at the top, I gave you a direct link to a Brownell's SS S80 unit.

Thanks for the link sir. That's the one I used to access their website.

Brickeyee, I believe that's one point worth considering when choosing an extractor...now I'm having second thoughts between carbon steel and stailess steel extractors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts