1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get my barrel clean all the way. There are just a few spots that I'm having trouble with. I tried a bronze brush but that didn't help and #9 didn't do the job either. Any good ideas?

·
Registered
731 Posts
"Any good ideas?"

Sure, just put the barrel back in the gun and send it to me. I'll clean that baby right up for you.

Get thee a BoreSnake. After you finish shooting at the range, run the BoreSnake through 5-7 times. This will get a bunch of the gunk out of your barrel.

When you get home, do the patches, Hoppes, brush thing. If that doesn't get the barrel 100%, let the barrel soak in Hoppes for 30-40 minutes while you visit 1911Forum.com (or clean the rest of your gun). Take the barrel out of the Hoppes and do the patches, Hoppes, brush thing.

If all that still doesn't get it clean, spray some Gun Scrubber down the barrel. Be careful to oil the barrel down once it's clean, though since Gun Scrubber will remove ALL oil from the barrel.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would speculate that you have a leading problem. If so, come back to good old 1911Forum.com and hit the archives to see how to deal with leading.

Good luck,
Billy Ray

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sometimes chemical cleaning just won't cut it. Once in a while (because it's rarely needed, not because it's harmful) I'll use JB Bore Paste on my firearms. Its a very mild abrasive paste, sort of the consistency of tartar control toothpaste. I only use flannel patches over those spear type jags. These jags press the patch out tightly against the bore walls. Slotted jags just don't cut it, IMO.

My Kimber came from the factory with some stubborn stains near the chamber. Only the JB would remove them.

Byron

·
Registered
287 Posts
Airborne420,
I experienced similar problems until I bought a Bore Snake. Best cleaning product money can buy in my opinion.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
If it is a leading problem, get yourself a Lewis Lead remover for your caliber. It uses brass patches on an expandable rubber core pressed tightly into the rifling.

Copper fouling - use a copper cutting solvent, or the Outers Electronic FoulOut Unit - which uses reverse electroplating to remove copper, lead, etc.

Best wishes, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits and Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
366 Posts
Kleen Bore's "Lead Away" cloths that can be cut into patches have worked for me. It does take multiple patches/passes, however. Every 500 rounds, or so, even shooting copper jackets, creates enough build up in my barrel to require Lead Away attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts