1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a new Remington R1 and I'm having a problem when loading the gun. If the slide is locked back and I put a full magazine it in, I can not slingshot the slide or pull it back at all. It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge. I'm new to 1911s so if this is a problem with me or the gun or both any help is appreciated. I did some research online and I saw it might be something with the slide release? The gun seems to fuction as expected if the slide is forward when I insert a magazine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Can you chamber a round by just tripping the slide stop instead of "slingshotting" it? Is there a shock buff in the gun? Have you recently replaced the recoil spring with a new one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can you chamber a round by just tripping the slide release?
I don't think I can when it gets stuck like this. I should add this doesn't happen every time but maybe about 80%

Also seems to happen more the higher number of rounds in the magazine. I have 7 round factory magazines

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I don't think a new Remington comes with a shock buffer. How about trying it before it gets stuck? Can you make a demo video?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check for a Shok Buff, I had one that I couldn't pull back far enough and that was the problem. Fred
I don't think a new Remington comes with a shock buffer. How about trying it before it gets stuck? Can you make a demo video?
No shock buffer in this gun. Its 100% factory. I don't have any ammo on hand to demo it at the moment.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Hi,

I've got a new Remington R1 and I'm having a problem when loading the gun. If the slide is locked back and I put a full magazine it in, I can not slingshot the slide or pull it back at all. It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge. I'm new to 1911s so if this is a problem with me or the gun or both any help is appreciated. I did some research online and I saw it might be something with the slide release? The gun seems to fuction as expected if the slide is forward when I insert a magazine.

Thanks!
No shock buffer in this gun. Its 100% factory. I don't have any ammo on hand to demo it at the moment.
So which is it , the mag is full of ammo , or you don't have any ammo ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

I've got a new Remington R1 and I'm having a problem when loading the gun. If the slide is locked back and I put a full magazine it in, I can not slingshot the slide or pull it back at all. It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge.
You statements don't quite agree on face value.

Are you saying that with an empty magazine in the gun and the slide is locked back you can pull the slide back further (which you should be able to). But when you insert a full magazine with the slide locked back the slide now has no further rearward travel?

Have you tried this with more than one magazine?

Have you looked at the slide stop, magazine or the rounds in the magazine to determine if it is somehow something is impending the slides travel rearward?

I have seen a few 1911s that some folks could not easily release the slide stop especially with magazines with strong springs especially doing support hand drills.

You said "It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge." With an empty magazine the slide should lock back but have additional rearward travel if you pull it back. However the slide will travel back that short distance forward and stop again because the slide stop is engaged by the follower in the empty magazine.

I believe you need to be clearer in the description of exactly what is and isn't happening.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
If you have no ammo it's behaving exactly as it is supposed to.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Read the original post guys. The OP states he inserted a LOADED mag while the slide is locked open. From that position, with the LOADED mag inserted, he is unable to slingshot it into battery. It does this approx. 80% of the time.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Read the original post guys. The OP states he inserted a LOADED mag while the slide is locked open. From that position, with the LOADED mag inserted, he is unable to slingshot it into battery. It does this approx. 80% of the time.
Exactly and this was probably while at the range. Now that he shot all the ammo he can not demonstrate this to us.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
This confusion is with "It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge." We know the slide will move rearward even when an empty magazine is in place. It just won't slingshot. So to me the question is, will the slide not move rearward from the locked open position or will it not "slingshot" from the fully pulled back position?

·
Registered
129 Posts
This confusion is with "It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge." We know the slide will move rearward even when an empty magazine is in place. It just won't slingshot. So to me the question is, will the slide not move rearward from the locked open position or will it not "slingshot" from the fully pulled back position?
I felt it was pretty clear that when he said, "It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge.", he was saying that he's not able to slingshot the slide forward from a locked-back position, just as it would act with an empty magazine in place.

Of course, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was at the range awhile back when this ol' guy came in with a new Rem. R1. He was a Korean vet and wanted a 45 like he carried back then. He had all sorts of issues with it. Finally said to heck with it and was going to return the pistol. Most of his issues had to do with the magazine and slide. I showed him my ATI 45 and he really liked that and he could handle it like a pro.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Hi,

I've got a new Remington R1 and I'm having a problem when loading the gun. If the slide is locked back and I put a full magazine it in, I can not slingshot the slide or pull it back at all. It behaves like the magazine is empty and the slide doesn't budge. .........Thanks!
No confision if you read the whole paragraph rather than focusing on one sentence.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts