1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to remove the front sight on my XSE. Rear sight came off easy. I cant get the front sight to budge. I tried a plastic rod and a hammer. And I tried a sight pusher. There isnt a roll pin on the one installed. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you soaked under the slight with acetone to loosen any loctite that might be there?
If that doesn't work you could also try soaking under the sight with a quality penetrating oil.
Then the next step would be a brass or aluminum punch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have soaked it in Kroil and ballistol. I havent tried heat. Little scared to do that. How should I apply heat? Torch to the sight only?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
On one of my guns from another manufacturer, there seems to be a pin engaging the front sight from underneath, e.g., inside the slide. Worth looking.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If it were me, I'd try a bigger hammer and a brass drift in that case.

Make sure your slide is well-supported...

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have soaked it in Kroil and ballistol. I havent tried heat. Little scared to do that. How should I apply heat? Torch to the sight only?

Thanks again guys!
I usually put the flame tip of the torch momentarily under the sight and on each side and immediately start to drift it. Sometimes the Loctite and similar products can be resistant to solvents, so the heat helps to soften it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A decent soldering gun with the right tip installed can be useful to keep heat more localized. As in, melting/loosening any loc-tite type stuff...

Just a thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts