1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before everyone decides to make this a flame fest, hear me out first.

1. I have quality, top of the line leather holsters - Sparks.
2. I have pants sized a little large for IWB purposes.
3. I have a good belt.
4. I carry an officers model 1911.
5. I wear the majority of my clothes with my shirts tucked in.

It's not a comfort problem. It's more an accessability/fashion problem. I don't want to dress like a bum, but I don't dress like Mr Wall Street either. It's just that the majority of the time I wear shirts that require tucked in. And in the summer i wear a lot of shorts, some mess casual than most which requires the Polo shirt tucked in. When it's casual, my t-shirts are untucked.

Problem is, it's a pain in the ass trying to stay concealed! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
358 Posts
If are not willing to dress around your firearm. Try moving to an open carry state or switch to pepper spray.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
adjust gun, carry, or clothes

When I can't or am not willing to dress correctly to carry a decent sized gun, I wind up carrying a J-frame in an ankle holster or pocket holster. Only way I can carry with a tucked shirt and slacks. Not much gun, but better than nothing. I am skeptical I can get used to a "tuckable" IWB at the moment. I used to carry a small 9mm in a "fanny pouch" every so often. It is tan leather and doesn't look too much like a gun pouch. Seems like I wind up wearing a vest of some type more and more. I carry OWB intead of IWB, but I know what you mean. Sometimes you just have to make adjustments.

·
Registered
41 Posts
First of all, love the handle Keyser Söze. Heh, heh.

After reading your post, I am not sure what the problem is. Are you printing? Are you having trouble with the draw from IWB? Do you use a tuckable holster?

I solved most of my concealment problems by going with ultra thin Kydex for my IWB holster (Fist). This made the gun fit to my body better, reduced the width so the pants and shirt draped more naturally and increased the comfort to the point where I kept checking to make sure the thing hadn't shifted.

Perhaps if you describe your problem in more detail?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. (Concealed-Tactical Adjustable Cant) holster and couldn't be happier. It is an IWB, and you can tuck a shirt in. I even bought the optional brown clips (comes with kydex black) for when I wear a brown belt. Very stable, and adjustable. http://www.comp-tac.com/

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
FWIW, CCW requires a committment to a certain amount of asymmetry, and "load-bearing", if not actual discomfort, assuming of course that you mean to carry a full-size or "combat" sidearm. (Mouse guns and J-frame revolvers aside)

The most definite way to minimize the asymmetry is with a balanced shoulder rig, but shoulder rigs aren't everyone's cup of tea, still involve the extra weight, and of course you need some kind of cover garment.

A better way for most folks, most of the time, is an IWB rig, approximately-balanced on the "off" side with spare mag(s), etc, and of course supported by a properly-made, properly-tight belt. OWB holsters are just as good for many folks, though the cover garment needs to extend lower than with an IWB setup.

Tuckable holsters only work for me with dinky guns like the Kahr P9 or MK9, and even then only poorly. (A "lump" is always evident to some extent.)

Groin holsters (eg, Smart Carry) also work better with smaller guns than larger, though some have found the option to be workable with full size pistols, and the weight is centered, at least.

"Off-body" carry is another option, but beyond the scope of my intent in posting. (Workable if carefully thought out, but a greater compromise than many will accept.)

All these approaches involve some inconvenience or some sacrifice of "fashion", but then that's CCW for you. TNSTAAFL! Most practitioners of CCW have arrived at workable solutions, rarely on the first try.

Best.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I wear a t-shirt or tank top tucked in with a button-up shirt worn over that, unbuttoned. I always wore a shirt tucked in so rather than try and carry under a untucked shirt I added the second shirt, and even in hot weather it works.

There's also the Kydex clips that can be used to make a VM2 "tuckable", if that's the holster you have.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It sounds like a shoulder rig is something you should check out. A slightly fuller shirt will hide the gun, the straps will print. There are times that is the only way I can carry. If needed, I'd rip the buttons off the shirt. Strong side carry works the best in my opinion, but sometimes other methods are needed. A word of caution, when I carry that way I carry a Sig 229. The holster is a horizontal, and I'm never comfortable knowing the weapon is pointed at anyone behind me. I do my best to plan on strong side carry, even if the weapon prints, then I try covering it with my arm, I do that for bump searches anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's not something one can take lightly that's for sure.

When I carry OWB I'm at my most comfortable, but I am limited to shirts that are untucked and long enough to conceal. When I carry IWB I'm comfortable when I'm untucked, but when I'm tucked in, that's a different story.

Luckily I have a P3AT that is extemely comfortable and easy to conceal, although I don't feel as confident as when I'm carrying my 1911.

I'll make it though. I'll just have to adjust my fashion.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
SAWBONES said:
Tuckable holsters only work for me with dinky guns like the Kahr P9 or MK9, and even then only poorly. (A "lump" is always evident to some extent.)
I have found the same to be true with tuckable holsters. I can pull it off with a Kahr PM9 or Mk40 but even then I need to hook my cell phone in front of the holster clip for effective concealment.

I can't make a shoulder rig work unless I have at minimum a light jacket. I've tried it with shirts but the gun and straps are just too noticable imo.

I prefer belt carry and have adjusted my clothes to accomodate an IWB holster 99% of the time. This is easy in the winter time because you can wear jackets, vests and sweaters. Light cotton sweaters are cool enough to wear indoors all day and dark colors conceal better than lighter colors and both require a loose fit.

There are other options for a dress code that requires tucked in shirts without other cover garments. Smartcarry or Thunderwear holsters hold the gun in the front of your pants below the belt. Some folks like these for an office environment. I've heard that they work best with thin guns and pleated slacks/dockers. Another option is ankle carry. While I don't think these are optimal for firearm access it certainly beats being unarmed and with practice one can utilize them with relative efficiency.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I live in a climate that is warm or hot and always humid, year round. I carry full time, including work, and never leave home without my Officers Model. Even with our minimum amounts of clothing, it is easily hidden in a decent tuckable holster.

If you can't hide a skinny gun like an Officers Model under a tucked in shirt; you really have a problem. You folks that have to have baggy, untucked shirts to hide your guns should give some thought to the need to dress for selected environments and still remain armed.

Going about armed means being able to go anywhere and dress appropriately for the occasion while being armed. It sounds like a lot of folks here are part time carriers under limited conditions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Armed in professional attire

My full time position is as a prosecutor. The generally requires something in the nature of office attire, although we do have a pretty relaxed dress code for days we don't have court. Since I am in and out of the office a lot, etc, conventional carry doesn't work well. (We can't carry in court, so I have to be able to remove and secure my sidearm quickly.)

My primary carry gun in such attire, which is my backup in uniform (part time cop, too - why be monodimensional in my hatred for the human race?), is a glock 33 in a Kramer pocket holster. It works great, is always there, and carries well. Most people, even officers I work with, don't know it's there. To the extent anything is visible, it appears that I have a PDA in that pocket. Even my wife didn't know my carry method when I first went to this, and thought I had bought a PDA (not likely).

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
"...part time cop, too - why be monodimensional in my hatred for the human race?"

Hah! Cynicism. I like that in a man.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Cynic? Me? Nah.

I had a judicial officer accuse me of being a cynic once. I told him that I was not, that in fact I am an optimist. I firmly believe that people will continue to live down to my expectations, and keep us both employed.:D

There is also a George Bernard Shaw quote I sometimes use: "The art of accurate perception is sometimes called 'cynicism' by those who have not got it", or something close to that. I recommend "The Portable Curmudgeon", editted by gunwriter Jon Winokur, as a source of similar cheerful analysis.

Even among my colleagues, I am known for, among other things, my distaste for most people. A willingness to express it with crude effectiveness has been noted, too, along with a tendency to say things bluntly at the wrong time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Doug M, you sound like you'd accept my adage that, since by definition, 50% of people fall below the average on standardized IQ tests, and might therefore be referred to as "stupid", and 90% of the people in the world are a**holes, your odds of running into "stupid a**holes" every day of your life are 45%.
Explains a lot.:p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Actually, the odds are higher.

It's 45% of the people you encounter in a day, if you are dealing with a random population. If you meet 100, it is probable you will encounter 45 "Adam Henry"s. If one works in the criminal justice system, it is not a random population, but a self-selecting one, so the odds are higher. Then we have those known as "frequent fliers", who are not only self-selecting, but have been judicially recognized.

God Bless the dysfunctional. They keep me employed and amused. :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Which part?

The comment about dysfunction is about the offender population I deal with, not myself, although some might beg to differ with me about that. :rolleyes:

I have been known to have a crappy attitude about the human race, and to display it with little tact. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts