1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start I own a PT1911 from taurus.. its a great shooter and eats anything I feed it begging me for more.. But to load it I cant pull and tare my gun into two pieces like I was taught at TDI, it will jam up and not load. But if I use the slide release button it will load everytime... What is going on here, I want to carry it more often but I cant seeing as how I dont trust it 100%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a stock 1911, what is a shock buff?? Im new to 1911 and have no clue what that is

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Others have reported lots of trouble-free rounds with the PT1911. I did, too - until it inexplicably started to Refuse To Fire (RFT) when I pressed the trigger at about 700 rounds. The hammer would move a bit, though. Once it was scrupulously clean, it would run fine - for awhile. (The trigger/hammer/firing pin lock safety seemed to accrue a lot of crud.) I traded it for a pre-lock S&W 686 and went back to a bone-stock Colt NRM 1991A1 or a SIG P245 as an airliine travel gun. I have decided that the PT in PT1911 stands for Piece of Trash. YMMV.

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy said:
Others have reported lots of trouble-free rounds with the PT1911. I did, too - until it inexplicably started to Refuse To Fire (RFT) when I pressed the trigger at about 700 rounds. The hammer would move a bit, though. Once it was scrupulously clean, it would run fine - for awhile. (The trigger/hammer/firing pin lock safety seemed to accrue a lot of crud.) I traded it for a pre-lock S&W 686 and went back to a bone-stock Colt NRM 1991A1 or a SIG P245 as an airliine travel gun. I have decided that the PT in PT1911 stands for Piece of Trash. YMMV.

Regards,
Andy
I have around 1700 through mine with no problems, except for the sling shot thing going on now

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Timing on a 1911 can be tricky. Sometimes sling-shotting the slide is enough to throw it out of whack. I would first try a new recoil spring and see if that doesn't fix the problem...at 1700 rounds you're about due for one anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
rangerman2003 said:
Its a stock 1911, what is a shock buff?? Im new to 1911 and have no clue what that is
It's a small synthetic piece that fit on your recoil spring guide rod between the head and the recoil spring.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would suggest trying a different slide stop. I have a Baer that would not slingshot with the factory one. I replaced it with a Wilson and have not had a problem since.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Is the slidestop dragging on the slide? If you are holding the slidestop down with your thumb, something is "different" than when you aren't. If the mag is only partially filled, does it make a difference? How many different mags are you using?

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
Can you possibly be more specific in describing what's happening? Are you saying the slide will not release from lock-back by pulling and releasing? Or, are you saying the slide releases but a round is not loaded?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1saxman said:
Can you possibly be more specific in describing what's happening? Are you saying the slide will not release from lock-back by pulling and releasing? Or, are you saying the slide releases but a round is not loaded?

I bring the slide to slide lock - essentially having an unloaded gun
Insert Full mag
Try to slingshot it back pulling all the way back trying to rip my gun into two pieces as I was taught at TDI.
Upon releasing it was go alittle past the slide stop and then wont go any further
I can then pull the slide back and lock it with the slide lock, then hit the slide release and it will go into battery

G

·
Why not just hit the slide release everytime? That's what it is intended to do. So far I haven't seen a problem with the gun being described.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,296 Posts
Maybe your "trying to rip it into two pieces" is actually causing the problem? Try pulling it all the way to the rear, so that the slide is stopped firmly against the frame, and then just let go. The violence with which you are racking the slide may be causing the slidestop to pop up, or ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have tried it both ways to no avail..

Also as to why I dont use it, for all my pistols none of them are the same size, so I feel unconfident in being able to find the tiny slide stop from this 1911 during a stressful time. Sling shot is a lot easier to do all my pistols.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Could be a couple of thing's;

-Recoil spring can be out of spec. (too long) and it's stacking, not allowing the slide to move all the way to the rear.

-Could be the magazine isn't allowing the slide stop to drop, try a chip McCormick shooting star or other quality mag. Certain followers can be a problem in some guns.

-The slide stop itself may be a tight fit not having enough free motion to work as intended.

Hope it helps and good luck:)

PS I'm a fan of the slinshot as well.

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
'Upon releasing it was go alittle past the slide stop and then wont go any further
I can then pull the slide back and lock it with the slide lock, then hit the slide release and it will go into battery'

Next time hold down the slide release as you slingshot it - just hold the slide back, press the slide release and let the slide go - it'll load. The slide stop is stopping the slide when it shouldn't because either the mag or the ammunition is touching it. It couldn't be the follower because that's at the bottom of the mag on a loaded magazine. This is a small defect which can be quickly adjusted. I would take it back to the shop I got it from for warranty work. If that doesn't suit you, take it to most any gunsmith known to work on 1911s. My thinking without seeing it for myself is the slide stop needs some material removed so the mags you use won't touch it, but the mag follower will push it up with an empty mag. This is probably going to be a very small adjustment.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It does sound like the slide stop:confused: Silly queston...you aren't inadvertantly putting your trigger finger on the right side of the slide stop pin while sling shotting it are you. (assueming you are R handed) If so, you may be putting presser on it and pushing it "out" slightly.
I use the slide stop to release the slide on all my pistols. I sling shotted for a few years, but changed a couple years ago. I still think you need the option for other TTPs though. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts