1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I'm starting to keep a .22 LR autoloading rifle in my car for, uh, unexpexted natural disaster and other occasions. Now I have a station wagon, with a hatch-back rear gate. There is a cover for the rear compartment such that when it's in use the rear compartment is out of view. Now I have a locked bag for my rifle and a locked box for my ammo container. Do I need to keep the ammo box in the rear seats to keep the rifle and the ammo seperate? I checked the laws and the laws on hatch back vehicles are a little ambiguous so I decided to buy locked containers for each item, Just wondering what other Californians are coping with the Nazi-like laws here on legally owned and vehicle stored firearms.

Nick

·
Registered
651 Posts
In CA, as long as the rifle is locked or in a locked container, and the ammo is stored seperately from it (ie not in the same container) then you're fine.

Handguns must be in a locked container (simply being locked up doesn't count), this can be a trunk if your car has one (which yours doesn't) but it doesn't include the glove compartment or center console box.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks, I have a lock on my rifle right now in the box it came in and a lockable bag on the way. and I hate to have to move the ammo box everytime ihvae mroe than 2 people in the car.

Nick

Oh and I think the people that moved here and support the Democrats can just go to hell, the transplanted liberals made up all these nice rules jsut to make life hell on us real Californians...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I feel for ya. Glad Texas does not have laws like that. Long Guns can be carried in a vehicle loaded and no issues. Tho with theft like it has been I am not seeing near the rifle racks I used to see.

Stacey

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't need to tell you that the percentage of criminals that comply with these idiotic laws is zero, right? :rolleyes:

270winchester said:
Oh and I think the people that moved here and support the Democrats can just go to hell, the transplanted liberals made up all these nice rules jsut to make life hell on us real Californians...
They're not my kind of liberals! :p

And sometimes, I wonder if some of them are really Americans... :mummy:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
M1911Arch said:
I don't need to tell you that the percentage of criminals that comply with these idiotic laws is zero, right? :rolleyes:

They're not my kind of liberals! :p

And sometimes, I wonder if some of them are really Americans... :mummy:
You know funny you should mention that. TOday on 880-North near Freemont I was tail gated by2 mexicans in a Dodge Ram for about 20 minutes, and when I pulled into a police station they passed me, poured their drinks on my car and waved a Glock at me. I mean, I'm an Asian guy but I'm 5'8" and 205 pounds so i can kick their scrawny asses, but these bangers have no regard for the law, and when they get caught they play the race card, pretend they don't speak English and get sent back to Mexico and they will be back in a week. And here we are debating how we can lock out self-defense arms to pelase the mothers who never fired a gun in their life and the career buearacrats in Sacramento who have private security year-round. I mean seriously. I reported the incident at the police station, got their description, license plate, weapon model, car model, color of the car, and the best the Sherriffs could tell was "you might wanna watch out on your way to Berkeley, mean while we'll see if they surface again". I asked that what if I was in a situation where I need to pull my pistol in self defense and my gun is inaccessible because I comply with the law, the officer stared at me blankly and sympathetically said: "well, let's hope that never happens, and make sure you obey the law". When I said, "wouldn't that mean I could be dead in a split second?" He said excuse me and walked away and never came back, instead he sent a young guy to ask me whether I had any more questions and showed me the door.

I feel much safer now....Don't you?

·
Registered
55 Posts
270winchester said:
You know funny you should mention that. TOday on 880-North near Freemont I was tail gated by2 mexicans in a Dodge Ram for about 20 minutes, and when I pulled into a police station they passed me, poured their drinks on my car and waved a Glock at me. I mean, I'm an Asian guy but I'm 5'8" and 205 pounds so i can kick their scrawny asses, but these bangers have no regard for the law, and when they get caught they play the race card, pretend they don't speak English and get sent back to Mexico and they will be back in a week. And here we are debating how we can lock out self-defense arms to pelase the mothers who never fired a gun in their life and the career buearacrats in Sacramento who have private security year-round. I mean seriously. I reported the incident at the police station, got their description, license plate, weapon model, car model, color of the car, and the best the Sherriffs could tell was "you might wanna watch out on your way to Berkeley, mean while we'll see if they surface again". I asked that what if I was in a situation where I need to pull my pistol in self defense and my gun is inaccessible because I comply with the law, the officer stared at me blankly and sympathetically said: "well, let's hope that never happens, and make sure you obey the law". When I said, "wouldn't that mean I could be dead in a split second?" He said excuse me and walked away and never came back, instead he sent a young guy to ask me whether I had any more questions and showed me the door.

I feel much safer now....Don't you?

UM....Move to Texas, Carry a shotgun, then you won't have to worry about the police protecting you. Or you can do the CHL thing. Anyhow, the police are not required by law to protect you. According to my wifes Criminal Justice book. (Stupidest thing I've ever heard)--one of them anyways.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ironic ain't it? you pay tax dollars and the police can come and take anything they want from you, and legally they aren't really responsible for their job description.

Anyhow, I love California, I love its weather, the mountains, my roots are here, my folks are here, and my friends are here, and vast majority of my friends are gun-friendly/owners. I hate to move just to avoid these damned metro-sexual sissies, if I move they win and that means they took my state away from me without firing a shot. That's not very American now is it? :crackup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yep, that's true, law enforcement in general has NO DUTY to protect individuals from violent crime. They're duty only lies with society as a whole in keeping the peace & order.

This is in no way a slam against LEO's, it's just the cold, hard, reality. Yet, way too many people think the police are there to protect their sorry asses at the drop of a dime. I'm sure ALL police officers wish they could arive at the scene before a crime occurs, but this obviously isn't humanly possible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The more I hear from Californians, the more I like my state. My rifle gets stored in a case in the trunk (to protect it), and ammo is in my range bag, either in the back seat or trunk, no special locks or anything. My pistol is even more secure, I store it in my pants, lol. I was born in Cali, been planning on moving back for years now, but I don't think I will anymore.

As far as LEO's, over 99% of them have every intention of saving our sorry butts. The legalese is to protect them from frivolous lawsuits by nimrods that expect them to be 5 seconds away at any given time, even though these same nimrods gripe about their PD's use of tax dollars. I think we should institute an experimental program where we trim a little fat off of just about everything that isn't already underfunded (DSHS, or maybe just charge extra for traffic infractions), and use the proceeds to DOUBLE LE budgets. Use the moneys for increased LEO's, equipment allowances, etc. I'm guessing with an increased police presence we'll have less nimrods griping about poor response times the next time little Jonny steals their lawn gnomes.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
******, I agree! In my county they can't afford to buy new patrol cars and other equipment. They buy used cars from the State Highway Patrol and I heard that's where they got their Glocks too! They didn't have radar until about a year ago and that was only in a couple of cars. CCW was a nice windfall for the sheriff. He taught the classes, ran the range, and so was able to keep the money. I believe he still conducts a class about once per month. The money was used for vests, cages in the cars, etc. People still complain about service but don't want to pay. My wife protects her yard gnomes with a 115 lb dog. Cheap, reliable, quick to investigate intruders, and always on the job.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One of the things my local areas did was create a volunteer police dept. Mostly it's retired LEO's, but I don't think you need to be prior LE. They give them a Crown Vic with a big ol' "Volunteer" graphic on the side, and they patrol. Anything serious pops up and they'll call reinforcements, but they're well suited for taking accident reports, investigating missing lawn gnomes, or break-ins. This frees the "active duty" LEO's for the more dangerous stuff like traffic stops, warrant serves, domestic violence calls, etc. I never asked, but I always assumed these guys would have at least a CCW, I don't think the PD's would send them out defenseless. Reminds me of the old west when they could just "deputize" anybody when they needed help, lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did'nt mean to sound like I was slamming LEOs by any means. I was thinking about a story my wifes CJ professor told her class about a woman that called 911, and the operator listened to the lady being raped and murdered, and it took like 10-12 hours to respond. I guess there are alot of variables to that story that I don't know though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hours? Lord, you can mobilize a small contengency of Nat'Guard troops in 12 hours!

10-12 minutes is actually fairly decent for a large city on a busy night or the grave yard shift in a large rural county.

20+ minute response times aren't unheard of in larger west Texas counties, as well as rural east Texas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
270winchester said:
Hi all:

I'm starting to keep a .22 LR autoloading rifle in my car for, uh, unexpexted natural disaster and other occasions. Now I have a station wagon, with a hatch-back rear gate. There is a cover for the rear compartment such that when it's in use the rear compartment is out of view. Now I have a locked bag for my rifle and a locked box for my ammo container. Do I need to keep the ammo box in the rear seats to keep the rifle and the ammo seperate? I checked the laws and the laws on hatch back vehicles are a little ambiguous so I decided to buy locked containers for each item, Just wondering what other Californians are coping with the Nazi-like laws here on legally owned and vehicle stored firearms.

Nick

You do not have to keep rifles/shotguns in a locked container (case, trunk, etc) in your vehicle. You could ride with it on your passenger seat, although I certainly would not recommend it. Of course, any type of firearm in your vehicle can not be loaded, and this includes having a loaded magazine separate from the gun. Only handguns, or more specifically "firearms that are capable of being concealed upon your person", have to be stored in a locked container while being transported in your automobile. A locked container must be completely enclosed and obviously have a key or combination lock, so the trunk of area of an SUV, hatchback, or stationwagon that is not completely enclosed or seperate does not meet the criteria of a locked container. The trunk of a regular automobile qualifies as a locked container but your glovebox or utility compartment do not. Be advised, however, if you are ever stopped by a police officer and they know you have a gun in your car, they will probably make a big production out of it, especially in urban areas and probably less in rural areas.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The day the Sheriff Department in my county started hiring a bunch of two-bit high school graduates who can't tell a Glock from a pink flamenco I realized that the good old days of men with guns are long gone in today's LEO world, these days they are more preoccupied with keeping themselves alive then going after the bad guys. They have to fill out so much paper work that it makes no sense anymore.

That and the nice democrats sure make life a living hell....EVERYWHERE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.