1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to bolt a pistol safe to the transmission hump in my truck.

Can someone give me some pointers on a good (not easily ripped out or broken open) safe for my vehicle?

I need it to hold a full size pistol and a couple mags. I need it to be easy to operate.

I need it to be secure.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I did do a search but was looking for more info.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Out of sight is better. If they can see it thru the window, they'll trash the truck trying to get it. I've seen some holsters mounted below the stirring column, they didn't lock but then if you need it NOW, under stress you don't want to mess up with a combo lock.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Out of sight is better. If they can see it thru the window, they'll trash the truck trying to get it. I've seen some holsters mounted below the stirring column, they didn't lock but then if you need it NOW, under stress you don't want to mess up with a combo lock.
I understand but I don't have a lot of out of sight room. It's not going to fit under my seats, I can barely get my hand under there.

The only other thing I can think of would be to put a holster under the drivers side dash. It would be out of sight but not secure.
Maybe I should just lock it in the glove box.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Would something like this work:

http://www.autosafes.net/

Discrete, and lockable.... I'm not sure there is such a thing as "secure" storage in a vehicle, just varying degrees of difficulty for the thief- how much effort is he willing to put in?

If you have no center console at all, there used to be a company that made bolt in, lockable console boxes, made to fit specific vehicles.... they were primarily marketed towards Jeeps, but offered them for several makes and models of vehicles.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I might add that I'm on the road 50K a year and don't have any small children at home. I've had to draw my weapon twice in the last twenty years but that was enough to stop the treat. Because of that, I've always wanted my pistol a single move/reach away.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Well there you go, but can you get to it in a hurry?
I can't speak for the OP, but when I'm in my vehicle, my pistol is either on my person or in the door pocket.

The sole purpose of a locking compartment is for temporary, safe storage when away from the vehicle- when someplace that carry is prohibited, or to satisfy legal requirements while traveling.

The two different needs (security and quick accessibility) are almost mutually exclusive; you can have ONE, but not both. Since the OP specified secure storage not easily ripped out or broken into, I have to presume that speed and ease of access is NOT his primary concern for this accessory- he's looking for a way to lock the gun up when he's away from the truck.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Out of sight. I had an old Chevy Luv a few years ago that sat outside while I was overseas. When I got back the window was smashed and the dash was torn apart from them trying to remove the cheap radio, in the end they couldn't get the radio out and jammed a pencil in the tape teck ruining the internals out of spite.

Don't give them any reason.

·
Registered
124 Posts
BillD I don't know of a perfect solution for your situation. I purchased 4 of these Snap Safe Lock Boxes. I have one in my truck, one in my sedan, and two in the house. The ones that are in the vehicles use a (supplied) cable that secures the safe to a seat mounting post.

They are not the most secure solution by a long shot. My advantage here over your situation is that I do have enough room in both vehicles to actually hide the safes under the seat.

I'm wondering if you couldn't find a more solidly-built version of the same thing--one that uses a better-quality cable--and use that?

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
agreed. do they make a bio-lock that would unlock with your thumb print?
Somebody probably does- though I wouldn't EVER recommend a biometric lock for access to something your life may depend on. Most consumer grade biometrics are notoriously slow and unreliable. All it takes is a little dust on the scanner, and you're swiping your finger 1200 times and cursing the jackass that conceived the concept of biometric locks...

To the best of my knowledge, there's NO lockable container that has what I would consider quick access. You get either access or security, not both...

I'd still say discreet, lockable storage for when you must leave the gun unattended in the vehicle, and either on body or readily available access for when you're in the vehicle. Different storage methods to fill different requirements.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes its only for storage when I'm not in the vehicle. I'll unlock or do whatever to make the gun accessible when I'm in the truck.

I've never had a vehicle broken into. Lucky I guess

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I just got a new truck...and was thinking the same as you. I don't always CCW but i am always armed in my truck. I most often carry it in the pouch on the back of passenger's seat. I can always reach it and it doesn't print. I am comfortable knowing it wont go flying in an accident unless i go upside-down. That works for me. But I also got a Weather Gaurd Tool Box...go to you tube and check out the testimonials about how well they secure. I chose it because they are almost impossible to break into. Anyway I know it might be a pain and I don't do it, but it is an option to keep a weapon in there that may be a layer of security better than the glass window of your cab. Lots of room inside the truck box for an additional security box.

Me, I never leave a weapon in my car in bad areas and will not park in a space that is inviting to cautious criminals. So I am fine to use the same technique as evets above suggests. I agree with WC...determined criminals can get anything. I have recently been the victim of theft. My fishing Jackson Kayaks where locked - I hoped secure...think again.

Also he mentioned the holster under the steering colum. He mentioned the fall from holster disadvantage, but the truck I "traded in" for my new truck had a modified Serpa Holster mounted under the steering colum with my officers model. It was really kinda slick and probably one of the only good uses for the surplus Serpa. It was really hard to see except if you were looking at certain angles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Check Consolevault.com
I put the armrest box in my explorer, works for smaller guns.
Have one in the console of my Ram truck. Love it.
Regarding quick access - I keep two of the tumblers set, so I only need to roll the final tumbler two digits - can do it in the dark. Access in under 5 seconds - including raising the armrest.
Kind of a moot point though - as gun is always on me when I'm in the truck. Just use the vault when at work, or at a hardcore NPE like the Post Office (and I rarely go there)
john

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nano vault with cable...better than a glove box.
I suggest the combo lock

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My Ford Fusion Sport has a two part center seat console that you could put a hand gun in. I would have to measure to see, if i could get a 1911 5" in it. But just guessing could more than likely could put a 9 mm in it now! Can't carry where i live now. But later on, after moving i will.
Good post Op by the way. A lot of good ideas out there!!
Scott

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to be using a M&P .40 for the truck gun. I bought one for the house to retire my N frame .357 (it got pricey to replace :) ) from Buds and really like it. They are so inexpensive so I thought I'd buy another for the truck.

I looked underneath, it would be really difficult to attach a holster under the dash on the drivers side. Especially and make it secure. I'd probably use an adjustable Kydex and tighten the adjustments down pretty tight to hold the pistol.
The glove box doesn't even lock and the between the seats console is too small and it doesn't lock either.

So, it's going to have to be a transmission hump mounted safe or the holster deal. Truthfully, I'd like to leave the gun in the truck all of the time. Part of the reason for a safe. If I got a safe I thought I'd have a shirt or something to cover it up when I'm out of the truck to keep prying eyes from seeing it.

I also pocket carry another gun all the time but it's hard to pocket carry the kind of firepower the M&P gives you.
My vehicle is a 4 door Chevy Colorado.
Thanks for the ideas folks. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Put a fire extinguisher there instead. Keep the gun on your side. Put another gun on your ankle so that you can actually reach it while sitting in the vehicle.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put a fire extinguisher there instead. Keep the gun on your side. Put another gun on your ankle so that you can actually reach it while sitting in the vehicle.
Can we keep it on topic?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts