1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions as to how clean and care for these old grips? I have a set on a GI 1911 made in 1917 and wonder what I should do if anything to clean them without removing the color or damaging that old wood and help to preserve them as well?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was faced with the exact same scenario with the same pistol, even the year.

I used a soft dishwashing brush, some joy dishwashing soap, and water. They came out nice and clean and no problems. Just don't spend a lot of time on them a let them absorb a lot of water. Dry them with a soft towel and let them air dry.

I didn't do anything other than that and here's what they look like after cleaning.

By the way, I found this in a shop and got it for $400.00!!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
FE,
What are first 4 characters of the serial number of the pistol, I could not read the number in the photo? Is it a 1917? Best Karl

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to Scott & FE700 for the well thought out suggestions and yes, I certainly would not want the grips to look newer than the gun, or from a different era.

I gently brushed then with a little Woolite in water, which is very gentle. At least I know they are clean now and it did not have any effect on the appearance.

I wonder if I should apply a little bit of thinned linseed oil? Has anyone done that?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
FE700,
That is one of the earliest 1917s I have seen. If you get a chance, could you post the markings on the barrel lug and in front of the lug? I assume that the barrel has the vertically oriented "H P" visible through the ejection port. Best Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts