1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I found this interesting. Partly because it speaks to the general breakdown of our cities. And partly because I wondered, back In April if masks would increase street crime. Guess it can.

I also wonder...I know we think about home invasion and seek to plan for it. Anyone here thought about being carjacked? Absent loved ones in the car-is there a reason to use lethal force to save your car?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
Well isn't that sweet of the Car Jacking Thugs to wear masks... they are protecting their victims from catching Covid19. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts

I found this interesting. Partly because it speaks to the general breakdown of our cities. And partly because I wondered, back In April if masks would increase street crime. Guess it can.

I also wonder...I know we think about home invasion and seek to plan for it. Anyone here thought about being carjacked? Absent loved ones in the car-is there a reason to

I also wonder...I know we think about home invasion and seek to plan for it. Anyone here thought about being carjacked? Absent loved ones in the car-is there a reason to use lethal force to save your car?

Thoughts?
This sums up how I’ve approached it before COVID, and since. And a mask isn’t the only thing I wear when I leave the house.
'Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet'
~General James Mattis

·
Registered
252 Posts
While in Chicago, or any other third world country, people have to be alert when approaching their vehicle. Situational awareness in parking lots, gas stations, certain neighborhoods. While concealed carry is allowed in Illinois , it is costly and time consuming waiting on our bankrupt state to process your paperwork. It is probably best to let them have the car and let the neutered Chicago Police return what is left of your car to you later. They can and will prosecute or sue you for defending yourself while the carjackers family will make out like they won the Lotto... It ain't America any more !

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts

Thoughts?
Carjackings were around long before covid masks. Would suspect the numbers were always under reported

·
Registered
545 Posts
I no longer allow my wife to go out alone. And we take our new lakenois with us. This dog is starting to take to my wife big time! She even grrrrrrr at me at first. One year old and she weighs 55 lbs and she's solid muscle.
Along with our FN FiveseveN.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I try to avoid any of our bigger cities. We are nothing like Chicago but even here in Utah we have car jackings. Usually, they approach at stop lights or stop signs. In my prior Jeep I had a holster right under the steering wheel. I have not figured out how to mount it again in my new Jeep because there is a trailer brake controller down there now. I try to remember to leave enough room when stopping to maneuver if needed. I don't think any of us are ready for one of these as they are spot of the moment and very random. It is going to continue to get much worse with liberals out there telling the bad guys they are entitled to everything we have and our lives do not matter.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I will only use "deadly force" to protect me or my family, not to protect property, unless my home is being torched and the like. if that distinction is apparent to me at the moment. NV

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Agreed. I can buy a new car but I certainly don't want to be dumped off in the middle of a city at night either. My plan is to use my gun to protect innocent life around me and escape. If I have to abandon the car so be it.

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
Yes, The car doesn't matter. But someone threatening your LIFE for your car, wallet. or stick of gum does.

Lock your doors & leave some maneuvering space. Ya don't need much as clipping the car in front of you a little is okay. Not great, but okay.

I once had a Median Beggar guy try my door handle. I don't think he was a car jacker, just high/drunk/crazy. But I was ready just in case.

As for masks playing a role. yeah, maybe a little but I don't think it's by much. I don't see many people thinking that they now have a license to carjack. But people being far more financially desperate as the pandemic rages, yes, absolutely. THAT would be a real driver of crime.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
If he's holding a gun as he approaches your car, but not yet pointing it at you, you better get yours pointed at him first and make sure he sees it. If his muzzle comes up, you must assume lethal intent and act accordingly. It would be foolish in the extreme to hope he won't kill you and your passenger(s), when he clearly has the means to do so while committing a felony.

Best of course is avoidance. Leave room for a getaway if stopped at a light, etc. Situational awareness, head on a swivel esp. when you have to slow or stop. Who is on foot around you? Mask on and/or hoodie up? Where are his hands?

·
Banned
624 Posts
This sums up how I’ve approached it before COVID, and since. And a mask isn’t the only thing I wear when I leave the house.
'Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet'
~General James Mattis
I don't think I would quote a turncoat....just saying.

·
Banned
624 Posts
If he's holding a gun as he approaches your car, but not yet pointing it at you, you better get yours pointed at him first and make sure he sees it. If his muzzle comes up, you must assume lethal intent and act accordingly. It would be foolish in the extreme to hope he won't kill you and your passenger(s), when he clearly has the means to do so while committing a felony.

Best of course is avoidance. Leave room for a getaway if stopped at a light, etc. Situational awareness, head on a swivel esp. when you have to slow or stop. Who is on foot around you? Mask on and/or hoodie up? Where are his hands?
At least someone found a true usefulness for wearing a mask.😏

I would agree with Tom. Deadly force can be defended if the perp has a gun. In our society today, if he doesn't have a gun, all bets are off.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I will only use "deadly force" to protect me or my family, not to protect property, unless my home is being torched and the like. if that distinction is apparent to me at the moment. NV
Smart man.😸

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
And while we're on a gun forum, and focus on guns, it's important to remember what my Watch Commander told me decades ago; "Only an idiot puts a Smith and Wesson up against a Buick, son."

You're driving a far more powerful weapon than you're carrying, WHATEVER you're carrying.

Larry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts