1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I don't currently have a BHP, I do admire them. A classic
combat pistol, much like the pre-B CZ75. I have alot of time
spent behind a P-35 Browning,,or BHP as some call them.

In reading most of the posts on this forum. One that stood
out was an older thread on WHO actually carries a BHP?

It seemed that the Majority of the posters wanted a P-35,
but for some reason, chose to carry a .45 caliber pistol.
So, the BHP has a lot of fans, but not a lot of die-hards
who actually carry one each day?

I have more faith in 13-15 modern JHPs, than in 7 .45 FMJs..
and found that thread very interesting..so much that I'd
like to hear your comments again.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
While I don't own a High Power at present, I was carrying one during the two occasions when I really needed it in 1978 and 1980. It saved my life in both instances without me having to fire a shot. The mere presentation of that weapon took all of the fight out of my attackers.

That is one of the guns that I sold to pay for a Master's Degree (along with a beautiful Colt 1908), and while I value my education, it would be nice to have those two guns back in my possession.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
P-35_Idaho said:
I have more faith in 13-15 modern JHPs, than in 7 .45 FMJs..
and found that thread very interesting..so much that I'd
like to hear your comments again.
Thats a bit of a apples and oranges comparison. Why not compare 13-15+1 modern 9mm JHPs to 7-8+1 modern .45 JHPs?

One thing about the reason why many people might be carrying 1911s rather than BHPs is because from what I see the BHP requires light customizing right out of the box to fit most peoples needs (to remove bite for example). With the many production 1911s being offered with "custom" features, its easy to find a model right out of the box that has the modifications you require or want such as no bite hammer/beavertail, nightsights or not, ambidextrous safety or single sided, a variety of finish options, etc.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Might also be that this is a 1911 forum :D

You might find a different set of answers if this was a P-35 forum.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: Re: Carry A P-35??

Mus said:
Thats a bit of a apples and oranges comparison. Why not compare 13-15+1 modern 9mm JHPs to 7-8+1 modern .45 JHPs?

One thing about the reason why many people might be carrying 1911s rather than BHPs is because from what I see the BHP requires light customizing right out of the box to fit most peoples needs (to remove bite for example). With the many production 1911s being offered with "custom" features, its easy to find a model right out of the box that has the modifications you require or want such as no bite hammer/beavertail, nightsights or not, ambidextrous safety or single sided, a variety of finish options, etc.

It's an opinion.Personally I feel well armed with 15-17 9mm jhp or 10 .45 jhp's in my CZ.While I may be committing blaspemy on the 1911 board,I'd venture the HP's typically work better out of the box than 1911's when it comes to reliability,but you're right...the 1911's have lots of options.A mag safety removal and bobbed hammer are not exactly difficult compared to a beavertail install,either.
Both 1911's I owned required "light customization" to function properly,whereas my FEG PJK worked perfectly albeit a nasty trigger.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I carry a BHP when I travel far from home. The extra fire power makes me comfortable. I use a Galco shoulder holster that holds two extra mags giving me a total of 39 rounds available to get home on.

I also have a really good in the pants holster that really works well.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I used to carry one with me when I was in the service and travelled back and forth between Fla. and NC. I felt extremely well protected then, and still would today.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I too carry a BHP when I am wearing a gun on my hip, but my Officer's model 1911 is more compact and easier to conceal so it gets the majority of "carry time". I don't feel I'm at any disadvantage buy carrying only 7rnds of 45acp/jhp. The combination of Gold Dots and a lot range time insure my peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've carried one as a duty gun; this when I had a choice of any .38 on up revolver to any .45 pistol I qualified with. The overall advantage of the BHP is it's point, balance and fast general handling qualities in a trim package. All this with single-action standard 1911 operation.

I do prefer 1911 triggers, but the BHP is quite acceptable. While there is certainly some merit perhaps, arguably, to larger bullets, the hotter 9x19s perform alittle better against tactical barriers in my experience.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Carry A P-35??

Allie said:
Both 1911's I owned required "light customization" to function properly,whereas my FEG PJK worked perfectly albeit a nasty trigger.
Yeah... So far its been my experience that the extractor on a production 1911 can pretty much be removed and thrown in the garbage right out of the box, to be replaced by a quality aftermarket extractor. Other than that I havent required any.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Howdy,

I carry a BHP both on and off-duty, and have for years. I transitioned to the BHP from a Colt GM 45. Some argue I moved in the wrong direction; however, I have never had a jam, misfire, misfeed, failure to extract or feed, etc. in several years of use and carry (except for one underpowered round from a box of the cheap Wally World Winchester value pack stuff - it definitely did not have as much oomph to it when it went off). I cannot say that about my Colt, which failed to work properly and required hard to obtain Samson ammunition to work correctly (which is why I quit carrying it). I'm a tall, skinny guy, and have never had a problem carrying the BHP concealed. It is quite comfortable to tote around and a pleasure to shoot, particularly since I had Don Williams, of The Action Works, tweak it a little; his trigger job is incredible. Test it and then carry with confidence.

Sincerely,

Michael

·
Registered
564 Posts
I carry a BHP on duty and off duty. from time to time I also carry a 5" 1911.

I find the BHP easier to carry as well as the 1911 both on and off duty.

My Mk III was sent to Don Williams to get worked over and hard chromed by AP&W.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I frequently have a HP with me. I will admit that I also often carry a Glock 32, SA-XD357, HK USPc45, or P7M8. I pretty much don't care which I have with me, and switch around depending on circumstances. The HP probably gets more time than anything except the Glock 32. The P7M8 is my "gentlemans" gun, USPc45 or/and HP are both used as bedtime guns; XD357 or G32 are "around the farm" guns. My 9's or 45's are what I have on my person indoors. 357sigs are for outdoor activities. I wouldn't want to touch one of those babies off in a dark bedroom. 9 or 45 are a whole lot easier on the old ear drums when indoors. I know that a lot of people believe in the "get used to one gun " theory; figuring you may get confused on which one you actually have in your hands at the time. I have never had the problem of transitioning from one operating system to another; even with the P7. I guess I switch around so much, even several times in a day; that I am used to all of them. Works for me; so does the Hp. Just as soon have it as anything else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts