1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Taurus .38 Special 5 Shot 2" Barrel. I got an AMAZING steal on the thing...a guy needed the cash. Here is my question....I've heard differing views on carrying a revolver with a round under the hammer. Seeing is how it's only a 5 shot, if push would come to shove, I would like to have as many rounds as possible. SO.......

Is it ok to carry a revolver such as this with a round under the hammer??

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is perfectly safe. Most modern guns are perfectly safe of carrying in this fashion. Back in the older days alot of guns were not safe to carry this way I beleive because if they were dropped and landed on the hammer it would cause a discharge of the weapon.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Easy way to tell. With no pressure on the trigger and the hammer not cocked, will the hammer move forward (toward the chamber) when pressed? If no, then can you see the firing pin when looking between the frame and cylinder? No to both indicates fully safe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not familiar with your particular gun, but if it were mine I'd find out...

With a round under the hammer and the gun pointed down range at a safe targert, strike the hammer with a mallet, if the round goes off I'd say it isn't safe, but you can judge for yourself.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a Taurus .38 Special 5 Shot 2" Barrel. I got an AMAZING steal on the thing...a guy needed the cash. Here is my question....I've heard differing views on carrying a revolver with a round under the hammer. Seeing is how it's only a 5 shot, if push would come to shove, I would like to have as many rounds as possible. SO.......

Are you serious? Tell us you are kidding please. If you are serious and this is your first firearm, I STRONGLY suggest you seek some training. You can seek out a qualified instructor (NRA) or even a knowledgable friend.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Probably safe. What model Taurus is it? Most modern double action revolvers, including most Taurus revolvers, manfactured in the last 20-40 years are safe to carry with all cylinders loaded. Carrying with the hammer over an open chamber primarily applies to Colt Model Ps (Single Action Army's), ther decendents, and revolvers with similar lockwork. For instance, the original Ruger Black Hawk revolvers should be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer, but the New Model Blackhawks (with redesigned lockwork and transfer bar) are safe to carry with live ammo in all cylinders. Learn a bit more about the lockwork of your revolver, might not be a bad idea to contact Taurus for clarification. Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Off course it's safe.
Taurus, S&W, and Ruger all incorporate some sort of automatic internal hammer block mechanism in their DA revolvers to prevent an accidental discharge if dropped or struck on the hammer. There's nothing you have to test, you can carry the thing fully loaded.
It's the SA revolvers you have to watch.
Denis

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

As others have written it is perfectly safe to do this with any of the MODERN double action revolvers.

Back in the old days when cowboys were fighting '******' in the west and using single action revolvers it would have been a dangerous thing to carry a single action revolver with a loaded round under the hammer. Even many of the modern single action (think cowboy revolvers) made today do not have a passive safety (Ruger's newer single action guns do have a transfer bar safety). So today you will still find many people with cowboy style revolvers who do not, and should not, keep a round under the hammer of those guns. But under the hammer of the type of gun you have just purchased you will find it is safe and common practice to have all 5 chambers loaded and have the hammer down on a loaded chamber.

I would strongly suggest you join the NRA and find a revolver course in your area to teach you how to handle this gun properly. It will be money well spent.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Are you serious? Tell us you are kidding please. If you are serious and this is your first firearm, I STRONGLY suggest you seek some training. You can seek out a qualified instructor (NRA) or even a knowledgable friend.
I heartily agree. Enroll in a firearms safety class! You talk about carrying......Do you have a conceal carry permit?

I ask this as your post indicates you might need some training.:)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I carry all 6 in my first gen Colt Detective Special.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Uh yeah the hammer probably is not even touching the firing pin when it's lowered and could not touch the firing pin when lowered even if you hit it with a hammer - this is at least true of a Smith & Wesson.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heartily agree. Enroll in a firearms safety class! You talk about carrying......Do you have a conceal carry permit?

I ask this as your post indicates you might need some training.:)
This is my fourth handgun. First revolver. I have 2 1911's and a Springfield xD. Of course I have my permit to carry. I ask the question simply because I have heard differing views on what you should and shouldn't do with revolvers. There are those that say not to carry in half cock position on a 1911 and so on. I simply wanted to see what members here had to say about carry a revolver with one under the hammer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Are you serious? Tell us you are kidding please

Man, stop busting this guys balls. I guess you never asked this question or one similar..btw.. how did you get this wealth of knowledge, oh wise one? You read or asked questions from the guys with experience. ease up.

BTW...carry it fully loaded

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
hey FreeByrd, of course this is safe to carry that way, as others have said. Taurus is a copy of S&W - and this design has incorporated an internal hammer block safety since WWII. It is activated by the trigger - pulling the trigger lets the block fall out and thus the hammer be able to go further forward and hit the primer.

Without a depressed trigger, no way to activate a S&W pistol since about WWII (and all Taurus copies, I believe). Rugers didn't consistently have it until the 70s, however.

That is a good choice - I sometimes carry the S&W variant, the 5 shot 2" stainless steel "cheif's special" model. Excellent gun for carry. I would recommend finding some "combat" grips for it to make it very controllable - either Pachmayr gripper type rubber or wood, whatever your preference. I did a lot of experimenting and settled on the "Ace" brand wood laminate finger-groove grips. I find with finger-groove combat grips and a proper "grip" this gun will shoot .38s of any type with only slightly more recoil than a 4" K-frame S&W with factory wood magna or target stocks will handle the same round.

Good carry choice you made. I find full size 1911s are just a little too much to tote concealed.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think we've all gotten the point about getting basic firearms training and having the correct information. That being said, I hope nobody took the post about hitting the hammer with a mallet seriously...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Man, stop busting this guys balls. I guess you never asked this question or one similar..btw.. how did you get this wealth of knowledge, oh wise one? You read or asked questions from the guys with experience. ease up.

Me, busting balls? I don't think so. In answer to your question, No I never asked that question or one similar AND I never professed to being a "Know it All"

Free byrd15 writes: "This is my fourth handgun. First revolver. I have 2 1911's and a Springfield xD. Of course I have my permit to carry. I ask the question simply because I have heard differing views on what you should and shouldn't do with revolvers."

Maybe if his original post contained the above, my reply would have been different. Then again the above makes it even more scary IMHO. This individual needs some qualified instruction...again IMO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts