1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what carry ammo to use in my CDP II PRO. I have only fired ball ammo through it so that is what I carry at this time but I know that ii is far from the best to use in this application. So I was wondering what people here have had the most luck with. I plan on getting plenty of range time to test some out but I thought suggestions here may save me some time and money. Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have a Pro Carry II that is my "daily carry" gun.

I use Winchester Supreme SXT..... in a former life---- it was called Black Talon. It's a 230 grain JHP that loads perfectly in my Kimber. I have experienced ZERO FTF or FTE.

The problem you will find on all the preformace ammo ----is finding it on a shelf

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Currently for my PRO CDP II I use Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. JHP and Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. JHP. My PRO eats both types with no problems.

I have a high level of confidence in both brands.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've stayed away from +P self defense ammo because for me, there's more felt recoil in my aluminum framed PRO. This has been my preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just curious i have seen it several times what does +P means in terms of ammo? And FTF (Failed to Fire?) and FTE (Failed to Enter/extract?) thanks in advance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a Pro Carry II that is my "daily carry" gun.

I use Winchester Supreme SXT..... in a former life---- it was called Black Talon. It's a 230 grain JHP that loads perfectly in my Kimber. I have experienced ZERO FTF or FTE.

The problem you will find on all the preformace ammo ----is finding it on a shelf

+1. I use this too. But I thought it was called Winchester Ranger. Anyways.... But it was expensive before ammo got expensive. I think I paid something like $25.00 a box (box of 20 or 25) way back in 2001. I don't even want to think about what it would cost today.

In my pro-elite, I have also carried Gold Dot with no problems.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just curious i have seen it several times what does +P means in terms of ammo? And FTF (Failed to Fire?) and FTE (Failed to Enter/extract?) thanks in advance.

+P is a term meaning "increased pressure". They are loaded "hot". Back in the 70's and early 80's, you had to be pretty careful using +P ammo as some guns couldn't withstand the extra pressures. Even today, many won't use +P or +P+ ammo in handguns with aluminum frames. See this info... http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/demystplusp_0306-7/

FTF= Failure to Feed. In other words, there is a problem stripping a round from the magazine and loading it properly in the chamber.

FTE= Failure to Extract. This could range from leaving the spent case still completely in the chamber to pulling it part way out and the ejector refusing to kick it out the port.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Whatever meets your requirements if you have any, and what your gun likes. Finicky guns tend to have no problem with Golder Sabre for example.

What's good for one gun, may not be for another yet some guns will eat anything. Other than that, any good JHP gets the job done, and it doesn't have to be expensive, super duper fancy high tech. Ballistics show inexpensive Winchester JHP as being as effective or more, than the popular JHP's the cool kids like to talk about. :D

The Ammo sub-forum is packed with ammo info.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I've had great luck with Winchester Silvertip JHP in the 200g. Accuracy and reliability. With the 4" Pro, I like the higher velocity, they are more accurate for me than the identical 230g. Silvertip JHP. They are also 100% in all the diff magazines I use. For my Pro, usually 8 round Kimber TacPro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts