1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I've fired my 45 at the range. Have some 20 year old hollow point ammo. Is this too old to use? Want to start practicing again with good ammo. Want to get my CHL here in Houston.

I also would like recommendations on the best self-defense ammo. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
I use S&B or Tulammo for the range and I use Hornady Critical Defense for carry.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Been awhile since I've fired my 45 at the range. Have some 20 year old hollow point ammo. Is this too old to use?
was it stored in original box in an inhabitable living space or under the chicken coop??

if the former, i suspect it will be fine

Want to start practicing again with good ammo. Want to get my CHL here in Houston.
shoot anything you can afford for practice.
I too shoot plenty "cheap" ammo (Tula) if I'm not shooting my own reloads

I also would like recommendations on the best self-defense ammo.
Pretty well accepted that top choices are Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Ranger T

all can be bought on-line in 50 rnd boxes for a substantial $avings compared to the 20-25 rnd boxes on consumer shelves

http://www.sgammo.com/product/feder...hst-230-grain-hp-hollow-point-le-ammo-p45hst2

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
I mostly use Remington UMC and WWB bought in bulk for practice. FMJ 230 gr.

For SD, I lean to Winchester Ranger T. But there are several good SD JHP rounds out there.

gunbot.net is your friend for finding ammo.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The old ammo should be fine - I've shot ammo much older than that without a problem.

Here's my recommendations for new purchases:
Practice: Speer Lawman TMJ 230 Gr >Accurate, reliable, competitively priced and clean - which is better for your lungs and gun.
Self Def: Gold Dot >Same manufacturer and same ballistics as the Lawman

A terrific duo.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use 230 gr Remington UMC FMJ for practice. 1911 Remington R1 .45 ACP 5"

Self Defense, Speer Gold Dot 230 Gr.
Old ammo should be fine to use.
Scott

·
Registered
569 Posts
My new favorite is 185 gr MC by any major maker.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ammoseek.com

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I shoot my reloads for practice. Nice thing is I can shoot anything from 185 grain powder puffs up to full house loads. I do load Speer Gold Dot bullets for practice.

I carry factory ammo Speer Gold Dots.

There's nothing preventing me from carrying my reloads for defense if I so choose.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I shoot the cheapest I can find for target/range, usually Freedom Munitions.

For SD I go with any of the Federal Tactical LE HST rounds. But I always do some practice with the SD rounds in addition to the FM ammo as all rounds are not created equal in terms of recoil and accuracy. Practice with what you intend to use for SD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Carry ammo

What 9mm & 45 ACP ammo do you carry on a daily basis and why?Would like to hear some info. based on experience or testing.What is the best self defense ammo in these two calibers?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Federal hst for both... But I actually don't carry the 45 often anymore. Once I started carrying subcompact single stack 9, it is hard to go back.

I have no personal testing other than ensuring reliable feeding. Reviewers gave it high marks and having seen many of them it was good enough for me. I've even carried 230gr hardball - not the best for defensive use but its what I had at the time and am sure it would ruin some bad guys day.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
at this current moment...

9mm..... Fed HST 147gr +P
40........ Fed HST 180gr *
45......... Fed HST 230gr +P
380....... Aguila 95gr FMJ **

* 40 isn't available in +P or that would be +P too

** I'm of the opinion 380 lacks sufficient penetration with HP bullet.
so i choose a FMJ slug

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What 9mm & 45 ACP ammo do you carry on a daily basis and why?Would like to hear some info. based on experience or testing.What is the best self defense ammo in these two calibers?
Hornady Critical Defense in the weapon. Federal Hydra-Shok in the reload mag. Same for both 9mm and .45acp.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The "best ammo" argument is one I confess I find amusing. If it feeds properly in your weapon, you can control it well and it is not a round nose solid it should do the job nicely. Arguing about Critical Defense vs. SilverTip vs. GoldDot vs. Whatever is like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Shot placement is #1. Adequate penetration is #2. Everything else is almost academic. I am not arguing you should carry crap ammo. I am saying that any quality hollow-point ammo that your gun likes and that you can shoot well will do the job if you do your job and get good hits with it. Should you THINK about it? Sure, why not. Should you OBSESS over it? No.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I carry standard velocity Gold Dot 230gr in 45ACP and Gold Dot 124gr +P or standard velocity in 9mm. Primarily I carry it because it is reliable for me in my firearms, as are many other loads. The tie breaker for me is that it is what a majority of the local LE agencies carry. I generally figure if it's good enough to defend their lives, it's good enough to defend mine, and I wouldn't have to waste too much money paying someone to argue that for me in court. Anyhow, maybe the last point is useless in practice, but all else being equal you gotta make a call based on some factor.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts