1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished this for a forum member.
I really like this pistol a lot.
Please note it has the new Caspian/Wilson external extractor.

·
Registered
356 Posts
What a great looking pistol I wish it were mine. Oh wait it is. I got it on Xmas eve from Carlos at about 5:30 Great present. I plan on taking it to the range and shooting it Saturday rain, snow or cold. It will be my off duty carry if all goes well.
Thanks Carlos it was great working with you and I will say this now Carlos is a professional.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Beautiful pistol! The only concern I have with carrying a Caspian gun is it may not be "Lawyer Proof" in a self defence shooting.
It doesn't come complete from an actual manufacturer.
You got to remember in such a case they will probably sue you, the store that sold you the gun, and the Manufacturer of the gun.
Who makes the grips?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very nice, what kind of finish is that, and also where did the grips come from, they're pretty interesting.

Ed

·
Registered
923 Posts
VERY NICE

I also want to know where to get grips like those???

Best Reguards, "THE SOCKMAN"

·
Registered
262 Posts
looks like a great pistol, congrats. Denny - please post with your thoughts on the external extractor once you get some range time in. I've seen a couple of magazine write-ups on the new extractor, but have never heard from an actual person (not being paid to write about it). Curious to hear your thoughts once you have a chance to use it.

Regards,
Jared

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Besides, if I need to use a pistol for self defense, the consequences are much worse than not using it. [/B]

I've always disagreed with this.

Those who believe that "it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six" aren't familiar with life in a super max facility.

It's only true if the twelve find you not guilty.

I agree that a righteous shoot will probably be OK, regardless of the weapon, but I will never agree that the consequences of the shot can or should be ignored. Ever.

Such an attempted abdication of responsibility is never appropriate where firearms are concerned, and such an attitude is why the antis call us "gun nuts".

I say "attempted" because you won't be able to shed the responsibility.

Society will hold you responsible for every squeeze of the trigger, as will your conscience.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Denny I am glad you are happy with the pistol, merry Xmas and thanks for your kind words, you were a pleasure to work with also.

The grips came from Denny so I dont know their make.
The Finish is Gun-kote matte black with moly.
Jared I fired 150 rounds of ball with out a malfunction.
I also fired a couple of clips of Hydrashock, Golden Saber and Winchester JHP's.
I did not see any issues with the extractor in almost 200 rounds.
The barrel is a Kart easy fit and the pistol is a great shooter, I love the Kart barrels for this application.
Caspian makes a great product !!!
Kudos to Gary Smith and his team.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Caspian

Well lets me start by saying this... A well made gun will hold up in self defense because anyone who examines it would see it is quality. There are so many factors to consider in a shooting it boggles the miind.

I served the 22 years in the military retiring as a E-9 and have been in law enforcement for 11 years the last 3 as a shift supervisor and been involved in a shooting. It wasn't pretty but I survived because I was able to document my training, and articulate the events that occured. It was rightous shoot. I have had training lots of it, however the armed civilian who gets a permit and gets no formal training in my opnion is asking for trouble.

The grips were made for my in the Philiphines many years ago when I went through jungle training. I think I paid $3.00 a set for 5 sets.

I am a serious student of the 1911 and have carried one in the military and as my PERSONAL choice because I think there is no better platform than it period. I do think it has some short comings though one being the extractor and when I saw caspian was offering one and reading articiles by such knowledgeable people as Larry Vickers and see the Wilson KZ models I thought I would give it a go. The only other thing being the plunger tube. I would like to see it manufactured as part of the frame.

Tac -t no gun is lawyer proof We live in a country now where we sue everyone for everything. No wonder medical insurance is so high doctors have to carry one heavy policy. I carry personal liability insurance as a police officer.

By the way the total cost of this 1911 was around $1100 - 1200 dollars, no MIM parts and made by a professional for me and what I wanted. Thanks again Carlos

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hammer is a Caspian Slide stop is CMC
Safety is a Brown Tactical

·
Registered
356 Posts
I could of sworw the slide stop was a Brown tactical and the trigger was CMC I am getting old though

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Denny
Here are the specs
Kart Easy Fit N.M. Barrel and bushing
Caspain Receiver and slide
Wilson Combat External extractor, FP stop, 47D magazine
Chip McCormick Corp. Trigger and "Match Grade" slide stop
Novak .175 Tritium front sight
Novak Plain rear sight
Wolff Springs
EGW Ejector
Smith and Alexander Lanyard loop MS housing
Caspian : plunger tube,sear
Briley: Disconnector
Ed brown Products:
Tactical safety,recoil spring guide and plug, hex grip screws, mag catch,hammer strut,rebuild kit and memory groove beavertail grip safety.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Carlos and Denny, that is a great looking pistol. Question--how does detail stripping the external slide compare to the standard internal extractor slide? I'm interested in the external extractor, but wouldn't want it if it makes detail stripping more difficult. Thanks!

P.S. If you think ANY gun is "Lawyer Proof," you must not know many lawyers.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There are small springs and a pin that goes in that holds it all together. I shot it this past weekend and it shoots better than I do anyway. Tuesday I go to qualify with it for off duty carry Will get some pics soon. I like this setup.
I believe that the SIG 1911 is using the external extractor and that the frame and slide will come from Caspian. gary Smith is a great guy to work with.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Denny
I am glad It shoots well for ya. it also shoots a lot better than I can.
I liked it so much my next project will have an external extractor also.
Alfadog , you dont need to mess with the extractor and if you feel the need to take it apart you will need a 1/16 punch to drive the pin out, very simple.
I dont think you will need to take it apart to perform normal maintenance do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts